Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-09-2012, 02:23 AM   #1
-Lateralus-

Multi Effects For Playing in an Apartment (Boss ME-70)

Ok, so I have a 20W Blackstar tube amp, a couple individual boss pedals (delay, flanger, OD, Metal) and a POD UX-1 for recording. The thing is, I can't play my amp since I live in an apartment and my neighbors can hear it when I turn it up, so I decided to use my UX-1 since I can use headphones with it and also record. Well, I ended up hating the tone with the UX-1, so I've been looking at the Boss ME-70 to possibly replace everything but my amp for effects and recording.

My question is, will my amp and ME-70 be all I need for recording AND also playing through my headphones? Will I be able to get some good sounds at lower volumes that won't kill my ears in my headphones???

Also, if there are similar units, feel free to suggest them.
-Lateralus- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:26 AM   #2
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

You're better off with a Pod HD. Far superior amp models and effects. What's your approximate budget after selling the gear you have?

Alternatively you can find out your cut off hours for noise and tell your neighbours to deal with it and play with your amp. If you just want something for late night practice just use the UX-1. I got some decent sounds of my old one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #3
-Lateralus-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
You're better off with a Pod HD. Far superior amp models and effects. What's your approximate budget after selling the gear you have?

Alternatively you can find out your cut off hours for noise and tell your neighbours to deal with it and play with your amp. If you just want something for late night practice just use the UX-1. I got some decent sounds of my old one.

The POD HD doesnt come with any pedal effects though (octave, noise) which I kind of need. Im trying to stay under 250, so I would buy the ME-70 used obviously.

Also, there is no "dealing with it" with my neighbors because I would get kicked out of my apartment for obvious noise issues, so being able to get a good sound through headphones and being able to record at the sametime is key.

I was never able to get any decent sounds out of the UX-1. Maybe through the add on packs, but the stock sucks.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:40 AM   #4
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

The Pod HD has loads of pedal effects, what are you talking about? http://line6.com/podhd/multi-effects/effects.html

Does your lease say that? Or are you just saying you don't want people being grumpy with you?

The Gear Box software sound much better with some add on packs. That, or buy Guitar Rig. It's just an audio interface, you can use it with other programs.

Quote:
Old 10-09-2012, 02:46 AM   #5
Volcz
The Vox Dude

Quote:
The Pod HD has loads of pedal effects, what are you talking about? http://line6.com/podhd/multi-effects/effects.html

Does your lease say that? Or are you just saying you don't want people being grumpy with you?

The Gear Box software sound much better with some add on packs. That, or buy Guitar Rig. It's just an audio interface, you can use it with other programs.

Meh, I suppose the reason I got an ME-70 was because it's a lot more straightforward laid out. Plus it has an expression pedal
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Volcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:48 AM   #6
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

I'm not saying they're bad units, I'm just saying there's better stuff out there. People seem to get on fine with the Pod's without too many issues.

I'm just wondering why TS can't run an amp in an apartment. They have volume knobs for a reason.

Quote:
Old 10-09-2012, 02:50 AM   #7
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lateralus-
My question is, will my amp and ME-70 be all I need for recording AND also playing through my headphones? Will I be able to get some good sounds at lower volumes that won't kill my ears in my headphones???

the ME-70 doesn't appear to be an interface, but you could possibly run it into the mic input on the computer if that is acceptable. you should be able to hear from headphones just fine.

there are plenty of other better sounding units, but they will cost more.

there are some amps out there that have digital effects and a built in interface (peavy vypyr and fender mustang i think are two). these amps will also work with headphones and they have USB interface capabilities. won't be best quality.

if you feel like ponying up some extra cash then the POD HD may be for you.

@Eppicurt: is it your day to be bad cop and my day to be good cop or something. usually i am the cranky bitch.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:54 AM   #8
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
@Eppicurt: is it your day to be bad cop and my day to be good cop or something. usually i am the cranky bitch.

You didn't get the roster I sent you?

Quote:
Old 10-09-2012, 02:57 AM   #9
Volcz
The Vox Dude

Quote:
I'm not saying they're bad units, I'm just saying there's better stuff out there. People seem to get on fine with the Pod's without too many issues.

I'm just wondering why TS can't run an amp in an apartment. They have volume knobs for a reason.

I agree with you here. I live in a tightly packed suburban neighbourhood and am able to bring my AC30 up to quite a nice level. I know houses have a bit more brick between them and the people next door, but the houses are so close together that i don't think it really makes a difference.

I didn't read OP's full post. The ME-70 probably isn't the best unit for modelling. I think it's great for effects but I don't like their technology for simulating amps.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Volcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:07 AM   #10
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Theres nothing wrong with the me70, imo its one of the best multifx out there because it isn't focused on models and patches.

However, it isn't an interface and plugging it into a pc mic input is a terrible suggestion.

Go to the recordings forum and read the interfaces sticky.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:07 AM   #11
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
You didn't get the roster I sent you?

oh shit it's Tuesday isn't it? my bad.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:43 AM   #12
-Lateralus-

Quote:

I've had my neighbor come over before and say they could hear me playing, that's why I said that....Don't even know why this is a discussion. If you hear your neighbor having a loud ass part at 1:00am at night, you'd probably complain too. Same with my guitar/amp.

Anyways though, I would like to just get a multi-effects pedal since I would have the added effects and the pedal for octaves, etc.

EDIT: Just checked that POD you mentioned. Thought it was similar to the original pods, not the one you linked to. Didn't know that one had an expression pedal.

Last edited by -Lateralus- : 10-09-2012 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:53 AM   #13
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Did you read my post at all? Of course if you play your amp at 1:00am you're going to get complaints and I'm sure it says in your lease that you have a cut off for noise. There's no reason you can't play your amp during the day or evening.

For late night practice just get Guitar Rig. If you're happy with your amp and effects setup then keep it that way. Just play your amp during the day and use your interface at night.

Quote:
Old 10-09-2012, 04:18 AM   #14
-Lateralus-

Cool

Quote:
Did you read my post at all? Of course if you play your amp at 1:00am you're going to get complaints and I'm sure it says in your lease that you have a cut off for noise. There's no reason you can't play your amp during the day or evening.

For late night practice just get Guitar Rig. If you're happy with your amp and effects setup then keep it that way. Just play your amp during the day and use your interface at night.

Do you know my schedule? You don't, so don't assume I can just play during the most opportune times of the day, etc...

Anyways, can we stick to what I originally stated in the topic? And as I said in my original post, the only thing Im happy with right now is my amp and some of the pedals I have, but the downside is that I need an interface to record with, use for headphones, and also provide me with the extra effects that I don't have. So a multi-effects unit is primarily what Im looking for.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:23 AM   #15
Vendetta V
The Creep

RP255-355???? these are cheap (kind of) and are quite good, recording wise they're also good so yeah go for it bud!

I'm The Creep!

I'm a mixing engineer, hit me up

Please support my music and purchase my NEW ALBUM
My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:23 AM   #16
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

You didn't post your schedule, so assumptions are what I'll make. If you had said from the start "I'm only home very late at night and early in the morning" then I wouldn't have had to ask why you couldn't use the amp. The UX1 is an interface and has a headphone out. Like I said twice, get Guitar Rig which will give you all the effects and amps to record with.

But, if you feel like you really need a multi-fx unit, save up and get the Pod HD.

Quote:
Old 10-09-2012, 04:29 AM   #17
-Lateralus-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V
RP255-355???? these are cheap (kind of) and are quite good, recording wise they're also good so yeah go for it bud!

K thanks, I'll check them out. Also, how is the HD500? Ive been watching some vids and it sounds pretty good, but Im just concerned about ease of use. Dont want to spend too much time tweaking. Im thinking this maybe a better choice than the ME-70 too because the ME-70 doesnt have a USB connection, which means that I would have to use the headphone jack and a converter to hook it up to my pc.

Quote:
You didn't post your schedule, so assumptions are what I'll make. If you had said from the start "I'm only home very late at night and early in the morning" then I wouldn't have had to ask why you couldn't use the amp. The UX1 is an interface and has a headphone out. Like I said twice, get Guitar Rig which will give you all the effects and amps to record with.

But, if you feel like you really need a multi-fx unit, save up and get the Pod HD.

I said I live in an apartment and have had a noise issue in the past, that's all that needed to be said.

Last edited by -Lateralus- : 10-09-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #18
Samhuinn
Beyond Birthday

I own a Boss ME-70, and what I personally really like is the layout, as if it were a genuine pedalboard. It's extremely sturdy, sounds are easily modified and the amp simulations (which I personally don't use) are definately fine for practising.

In my price range at the time, I tested it well over competitors. However, I did buy it two years ago, I'm not sure what's come out in that field since then.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:02 AM   #19
-Lateralus-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhuinn
I own a Boss ME-70, and what I personally really like is the layout, as if it were a genuine pedalboard. It's extremely sturdy, sounds are easily modified and the amp simulations (which I personally don't use) are definately fine for practising.

In my price range at the time, I tested it well over competitors. However, I did buy it two years ago, I'm not sure what's come out in that field since then.

Do you record with it? If so, how do you hook it up to your pc since it doesnt have a USB port?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:04 AM   #20
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lateralus-
I said I live in an apartment and have had a noise issue in the past, that's all that needed to be said.

Okay mate, whatever you say. Just trying to make sure you definitely couldn't use your amp.

Good luck.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: