Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
SteveHOC
Used Register

Epiphone G-400 Custom VS Epiphone SG Pro

So I'm looking at selling a couple of guitars. I'm probably going to sell my '97 Epiphone Gold Top Les Paul, and definitely my Gretsch 5235T. Both are great guitars, but I think I'm pretty much in love with my '61 Reissue SG (plus, the Gretsch's bridge keeps losing my heavy E string if I strum it the wrong way, which sucks).
I'm weighing my options on another SG and these two look to be the final two. I've considered getting a Gibson, but I'm really looking to put away a little money on the sale of the other two guitars. I'm looking to get impressions from people who've played, looked into, or just generally have knowledge of either of these guitars. I dig the triple humbuckers of the custom, but am not sure how severely that will limit my tone. The pro has coil tap, which I think is pretty excellent, but I'm not sure how different a sound I'm going to get out of it as opposed to my 339 pro. I realize that the SG is solid and the 339 is semi-hollow, but the pickups are going to be quite similar, if not exactly the same.
Anyway, please feel free to drop some knowledge.
Thanks!
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
jasonSG

Hey there man. About 18months ago i finally saved enough money to buy a proper guitar (was playing an ebay special until then) and i always wanted an sg. So i drove around to every music store i could and tried every sg i could find the g310, g400, g400 custom, signature tony iommi(epiphone model), the gibson61 and 63(i think) a couple of others as well. I ended up with the sg prophecy ex because for me it killed all the others sweet looks active pickups 24fretts and excellent quality build. Now it may not be everyones thing but for me its my baby and people may say you cant play all kinds of music with active pickups and to them i say pull your head out of your ass. I know its not on your list of what your looking at and is more expensive but ive been where you are now man and did a lot of research and i believe i got the top sg on the market today. I hope this helps
jasonSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

Used Gibson SG.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
SteveHOC
Used Register

Hey Jason, thanks for the advice, man. I've not played the prophecy yet, but I will definitely give it a shot! I have no experience with active PUP's as I thought they were geared toward metal, but I will definitely give it a shot.

Toodeep, I had considered this, but as far as those listed near me, none quite fit what I'm looking for. They are also priced at $600-900 locally, which doesn't end up saving me money in the end. It's easy enough to say "get a Gibson", but it doesn't always suit everyone's needs.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
Hey Jason, thanks for the advice, man. I've not played the prophecy yet, but I will definitely give it a shot! I have no experience with active PUP's as I thought they were geared toward metal, but I will definitely give it a shot.

Toodeep, I had considered this, but as far as those listed near me, none quite fit what I'm looking for. They are also priced at $600-900 locally, which doesn't end up saving me money in the end. It's easy enough to say "get a Gibson", but it doesn't always suit everyone's needs.

I actually own a Prophecy, so i'm not just saying this because i don't like Epiphones, because i actually do quite like them as a company. Get the Gibson, it is honestly a better guitar. You can find SG Standards used for $500 easily. Put whatever pickups you want in it and you're good to go.

Even if it does cost more money, there is no point in compromising on your guitar just because you want to put a bit of cash in your back pocket. You'll regret it in the end.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 10-12-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
jasonSG

Hey there man no worries happy to help and i hope you find what your looking for. I know toodeepblue is really pushing the gibson but as i said i tried them out and they just didnt cut it. The reason for that in my opinion was the build quality i fix guitars in my shed on the weekend and know alot about what to look for in a quality built guitar and gibsons of today just dont have it and its not just me take a look around the net read the comments on gjbsons site from unhappy customers and of course look for yourself. In toodeepblues defense my friend has a gibson sg which is about 25years old and this thing is awesome! But these days your paying for a name only. Well thats what i think anyways
Old 10-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonSG
Hey there man no worries happy to help and i hope you find what your looking for. I know toodeepblue is really pushing the gibson but as i said i tried them out and they just didnt cut it. The reason for that in my opinion was the build quality i fix guitars in my shed on the weekend and know alot about what to look for in a quality built guitar and gibsons of today just dont have it and its not just me take a look around the net read the comments on gjbsons site from unhappy customers and of course look for yourself. In toodeepblues defense my friend has a gibson sg which is about 25years old and this thing is awesome! But these days your paying for a name only. Well thats what i think anyways

Nothing wrong with my Gibson at all. Its one of the best-playing guitars i've ever played.

You can't judge and generalize a whole company. You've got to look at specific guitars.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 10-12-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
SteveHOC
Used Register

I've actually played on a few Gibbys that didn't live up to the hype. I'm an Epiphone fan, and lately it feels to me like the Epiphones are surpassing Gibsons quality wise, and certainly at the price point. Just an opinion, but that was also why I was trying to gear the thread toward Epiphone. Nothing wrong with Gibson, and if I play one I like, I'll get it, but I've gotten past the name on the headstock and find that Epiphones are becoming my go-to guitar brand.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

I don't buy guitars based on the name on the headstock either. Its just that the tone and the playability of my guitar justifies the price i payed for it.

I've never played an Epiphone that i thought was particularly good. They always have cosmetic flaws and a lot of the hardware on them is cheap. The woods they use just aren't up to quality either. You find blemishes in the wood itself and overall they just aren't as resonant, play as nice or sound as good as the Gibson they copy.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 10-12-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
SteveHOC
Used Register

I'll definitely check out some Gibsons, I just can't justify generalizing the quality of a guitar, especially at that price point. Price is certainly not always equal to value, so saying "buy a Gibson" implies that the Gibson will be of better quality than the Epiphones I'm inquiring about. I do appreciate the advice, and will play on both the Prophecy and some Gibby SG's. I'm still curious about the original guitars I had asked about though, especially the custom. Are triple pickups a bigger pain than they're worth? Do they hinder picking?
Old 10-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

Quote:
saying "buy a Gibson" implies that the Gibson will be of better quality than the Epiphones I'm inquiring about.

I wouldn't be suggesting a guitar of lesser quality would i?
Quote:
I do appreciate the advice, and will play on both the Prophecy and some Gibby SG's. I'm still curious about the original guitars I had asked about though, especially the custom. Are triple pickups a bigger pain than they're worth? Do they hinder picking?

You're able to get very unique tones with 3 pickups. It depends on how the specific guitar is wired, but for example, the original Black Beauties were wired so that when the selector switch is down, the guitar runs the middle and bridge pickup and flicking the switch up runs the middle and neck, which are tones that are impossible to get on guitars with 2 pickups only. But a problem with those particular guitars is that you couldn't get the bridge or neck pickups on their own without modding the wiring, so it had its advantages and disadvantages.

As for the middle pickup getting in the way, it depends on the height you've set it at.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 10-12-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
SteveHOC
Used Register

I'm currently looking at a Gibby with P90's, though it is a whole lot like the '61 Reissue I just got. I'm a bit concerned about the middle pickup, as I play a lot of post-rock style guitar, and a lot of that picking is Tremolo style. I'll just have to play and see how it works out!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

Unless you set the middle pickup really high, they usually don't get in the way
Old 10-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
SteveHOC
Used Register

Perfect! Thanks for the help, guys! Also, I'm now considering Les Paul Special DC's as well. If I can find one in TV Yellow...
Old 10-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus

Whether T00DEEPBLUE is pushy on the Gibson or not, Gibsons ARE the better guitars.

People don't get Epiphones most of the time because they really want an Epiphone or because Epiphones are so damn great instruments, no. It's because they can't afford a Gibson.

I'm not a Gibson owner myself, but I played enough Gibsons and Epiphones to know what I'm talking about IMO. I recently even got an Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy myself (got a great deal on it and wanted a guitar for the heavy shizzle) and while I really like the guitar more than I thought I would it doesn't compare to even the low end Gibsons when it comes to feel and resonance. Granted I haven't A/B'd it with a Gibson LP, but I dare to say there will be a huge difference between this and let's say a Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded (which costs only about 50-100 more than the LP Prophecy would new).

Actually I see my LP Prophecy more as an LTD or whatever than a Gibson copy.
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
JesusCrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #16
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusCrisp
Actually I see my LP Prophecy more as an LTD or whatever than a Gibson copy.

I agree actually, they feel a lot more like LTD's than Gibsons.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #17
jasonSG

Im not generalizing a whole company. Im making an informed opinion as a guitarist a consumer and a luthier. Im not saying that every gibson isnt worth the money just most of the ones ive played, worked on and seen arentand im not saying that they arent good guitars. Im saying they are not worth the money. Im in adelaide australia and an sg standard is worth about $2500 here i got my prophecy for $850 im saying for that price difference and the for the features included the prophecy beats any gibson sg. Gibson may be one of the oldest and well respected guitar companies in the world but theres a reason artists are leaving them and why their sales are dropping. Its because the quaility doesnt match the price tag. And as for your original question ive played a g400 and it wasnt much good
Old 10-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #18
jasonSG

Oh and i forgot to mention at the time i purchased my prophecy i tried a gibson melody maker and a gibson sg special neither help a candle to the epiphone sg prophecy
Old 10-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #19
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

That's because its a completely different guitar. Its constructed very differently and the pickups are very different.

Also, as for you Prophecy having more 'features', features only tell you so much about the guitar. It doesn't tell you about the craftsmanship that goes into the guitar or really the quality of the wood. It doesn't tell you how good the fret levelling is or the quality of all the parts being put together.

Believe me i own a Prophecy. It even says so in my profile and i've even played an SG Prophecy in the past. The Gibson SG Standards are objectively better quality guitars.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 10-12-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #20
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Maybe we should have a "Gibson vs Everyone" sticky. Might as well, since one of these threads pops up almost daily.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: