Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
ub1quit0uz

Ibanez Pickup HELP!

Hey guys I am brand new to this forum and needing some help!

Info:
I have an Ibanez Gio that honestly I can't find any trace of ANYWHERE - It says its a Gio GS09, which according to my research doesn't exist so its very hard for me to find any info for.
The Ibanez is a "strat" type guitar, with all the wiring underneath the pickguard. It came with one Humbucker (bridge) and two Single Coils (Mid, and Neck). The "pickup switch" has 5 settings, Bridge, Bridge and Middle Coil, Middle Coil, Neck and middle coil, neck coil. I upgraded my Humbucker months ago. Now, My new humbucker (SH-8) sounds AMAZING on the chugs and lows, exactly how I wanted it. But as my guitar skills have increased alternate picking and such is starting to become common for me to play, unfortunately the high's just do not carry well with the SH-8. I recently bought a SH-6 for the neck to compensate for this. (yes I've done my research this is indeed the sound I want) Obviously with this humbucker I run into two problems and here is where the question is. Keep in mind I no longer expect to be using any of the single coils.

Questions:
1) How the heck do I wire/solder my humbuckers to be able to;
-on one setting have just the bridge humbucker
-one one setting have both humbuckers
-and the last have only the neck
2) Do I need to use all 5 settings? (I assume not)
3) Is this even at all possible?
4) is there any problem, (as barbaric as this seems) to simply cut away at the current pickguard to make room for the new humbucker? (yes im running on a highschool, part-time job budget)

Thanks so much in advance =)
ub1quit0uz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
Maximus_2005

Amp?

Quote:
"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
Maximus_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
miio

http://cdn.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/s...2h_1v_1t_3w.pdf
hope this helps. Your pickguard will look a bit weird tho if it's cutted for hss..
miio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
ub1quit0uz

Yeah I knew it would look weird but I figured sound quality is more important than looks. Ill check out tjat link when I get home. I'm on my phone atm. Thanks, I hope its what I need

Maximus; I'm not sure how my amp matters in this case but I currently own a digital ibanez tone blaster, and a tube red vudo. Although I usually use the ibanez and let our lead guitarist use the vudo
Old 10-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
steven seagull
not really a seagull

^
Amp matters more than anything else, and in all honesty yours isn't great... You're really throwing good money after bad if you're spending it on pickups

You're not going to be able to compensate for a lack of top end by changing your neck pickup no matter what you put there...It doesn't work like that .

String vibrate more over the neck pickup and the resultant tone is inherently going to be warmer, fuller and bassier so even if you put a bright pickup in there it's not going to change the situation. The bridge position is where the tone is naturally brighter, if things aren't bright enough with the invader then you honestly need to consider replacing it, or possibly switch out your pots for 1meg ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
Offworld92
One among the fence.

While I completely agree with steven seagull, to answer your actual question, I suggest you buy a 3 way switch. It'll make your life easier, and they only cost $5-10. Less if you go for a generic one on eBay, but those tend to wear out faster.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
ub1quit0uz

Thanks for the suggestions, seagull what did you mean by "or possibly switch out your pots for 1meg ones" what the heck does that mean? (Sorry not too knowledgeable here)

Even though the SH-6 is neck and the SH-8 is bridge, with what you were mentioning about string vibration would it be a better decision to switch them when I put them in? Or would that be horrible? Honestly I dont exactly know the mechanics of how pickups are made and what differentiates the bridge vs the neck pickups.

Also, I know amp matters most for sound i just didn't understand how it mattered to the specific question, but thanks to your clarification i understand the reason why it was pointed out, thanks =)
Question though, are both the amps I listed bad, or just one or the other? to my current understanding the Red vu'do was a great amp, atleast for the extremely small budget I am on. Which Is why I bought the Tone Blaster, it had decent reviews for the $100 it cost me, and the Red Vu'do only cost me $400.

Lastly, correct me if I'm wrong. The best thing to help out my situation since I already purchased the SH-6 and SH-8 (both of which are non-returnable), would be to purchase a new amp head (when funds allow), and possibly switch the pickups if the answer to my second question is "yes I should switch them"?

Also thanks offworld for the suggestion, I will pickup a 3-way switch =)

Sorry for my long posts, My brain is now filled with questions haha
Thanks again =)

Last edited by ub1quit0uz : 10-13-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
Sledgeman

You can also have a 5-way switch even if you are just running a H-H configuration. That way you can run the pups in both serial and parallel and together.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #9
ub1quit0uz

Okay, do you know how I might go about doing that, I don't know much about soldering and wiring other than how to do it, not what does what
Old 10-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #10
ub1quit0uz

I'm still looking at getting the above questions answered, I also have a new questions as well.

Like I mentioned I have a red Voodoo Amp. Its been buzzing lately and im pretty sure its the tubes. What tubes would be good for the Voodoo? I play metalcore (Asking Alexandria, Memphis Mayfire, WCAR type genre). and would like to know what tubes to get, even if they aren't the problem I'd like to replace them anyway.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:54 AM   #11
steven seagull
not really a seagull

sorry, forgot about this thread!

pots are potentiometers, the variable resistors used for volume and tone control. Usually the ones in humbucker equipped guitars are 500k, but if you use higher value pots that will give you a little more output but also improve top-end response - using 1 meg pots is one way to solve an issue with lack of treble response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #12
ub1quit0uz

Awesome, Ill look into those as well, any that you would suggest? Are there any compatibility problems I might have to look into?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #13
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ub1quit0uz
Awesome, Ill look into those as well, any that you would suggest? Are there any compatibility problems I might have to look into?

Compatibility between pots? Anything 500k or up will work just fine with a humbucker. Also, pots come in either linear or audio/logarithmic taper, which is basically how the pots reacts when you roll it off. Typically people suggest using a log/audio pot for the volume and a linear pot for the tone. I usually use and audio pot for both tone and volume because I like the roll-off more.

And I would sooner modify an existing tone pot to be a "no-load" pot before swapping it for a 1000k pot. That basically means the pot is completely bypassed when it's at 10. You can't do that with a volume pot though, only tone. Here's a how-to video:

Last edited by W4RP1G : 11-09-2012 at 01:21 AM.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:59 AM   #14
RJH11
Tone chaser

I also use a invader in the bridge of my epi sg g400. I dont have any problems with
getting good highs out of this pickup when needed but i also use a graphic eq and
as stated good amps are the starting point. You need to use the voodoo. And for tubes
i would check whats in it first but i use mullards rcas sylvanias its all a taste thing and i
also play the same genre of music you do.
RJH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:29 AM   #15
ub1quit0uz

Awesome! I'll look into modding the tone, but It looks like my main problem here is the amp itself. Looks like another solidstate amp will be thrown in my closet hahaha. So... Now here is my new questions, what is the best "Bang For Your Buck" tube Amp? What Can I get that sounds as best as I can for a super tight budget?
Keep in mind this is the kind of music I play:
http://soundcloud.com/winters-iris/...rojections-demo
Old 11-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #16
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Depends on your budget really. For your type of music the 6505+ is pretty awesome. For for a few hundred less you could get a Vypyr Tube 60 which offer far more options, but is a modeler so it's not all tube. And the used market is pretty good for saving cash.

If you're on an even tighter budget than that, you might want to look into the regular Vypyr line.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #17
ub1quit0uz

I'm sure a modeler would still sound loads better then my current Ibanez anyway haha.
Is 60 watts loud enough to play shows in? My band actively plays shows quite a bit.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #18
ub1quit0uz

Also, I'm trying to find the "mullards rcas sylvanias" tubes that RJH11 mentioned... cant seem to pull up anything. From what I gathered those are all seperate companies or something.. correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, thanks for the suggestion on the 6505+ amp. I have heard the thing before and If I had the money I would grab it. Atm my only hope in getting a tube is for christmas, but even after Ill be super tight on money.. What would you consider the best bang for your buck tube amp for under.. say $500. Are there any that are even worth it for that price? and I would just need the head. No combo needed, as far as I know.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #19
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ub1quit0uz
Also, I'm trying to find the "mullards rcas sylvanias" tubes that RJH11 mentioned... cant seem to pull up anything. From what I gathered those are all seperate companies or something.. correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, thanks for the suggestion on the 6505+ amp. I have heard the thing before and If I had the money I would grab it. Atm my only hope in getting a tube is for christmas, but even after Ill be super tight on money.. What would you consider the best bang for your buck tube amp for under.. say $500. Are there any that are even worth it for that price? and I would just need the head. No combo needed, as far as I know.

What sort of cab do you have?

for under $500, definitely look into a used 6505+ combo. it's probably the best band-for-buck metal amp on the market right now. they're very good sounding and super easy to find well under $500
Old 11-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #20
ub1quit0uz

I have a Marshall MG412C nothing too fancy. I also have a 2x12 cab that was custom made and it sounds freaking beautiful, don't really know what speakers are in it.. but it sounds good haha. Either way I see no reason in using a combo when I already have cabs. Unless maybe a combo would be a better choice? We gig a lot, mainly in smaller venues but we have played in some of the bigger venues of Utah as well. The bigger ones usually have equipment to mic the amps and whatnot but the smaller - mid sized ones do not so I want to make sure I have something to carry the sound nicely in a venue. Which Is why I was thinking to just get an amp head...

Rate This Thread: