Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Chris Broderick's 8-finger tapping pick is now for sale

After a long wait, it's finally available.

"The ‘Chris Broderick Pick Clip’ is titanium and made for your right thumb (one size fits all). It’s bendable to shape to most thumb sizes."

http://chrisbroderick.com/blog/2012...e-for-purchase/

There is also this:
"SPECIAL!!! First 300 orders will get a guitar pick! Any orders of 5 or more get the first page of the patent autographed by Chris."

I'm tempted to buy one to see how I like it. What does everyone think about this?

Last edited by W4RP1G : 10-12-2012 at 03:20 PM.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Its a cool idea, I never had trouble holding the pick with my thumb when I tap, but I don't tap that much and definitely don't do the 8 finger tapping stuff.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Roc8995

I hate to say it but that actually looks like a decently thought-out compromise between a thumb pick and a regular one. Price is a bit steep, perhaps, but not too bad.

Usually these little trinkets and talismans are a total crock but this one legitimately looks useful. Might have to try one.

Roc8995 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
whywefight
ever mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
I hate to say it but that actually looks like a decently thought-out compromise between a thumb pick and a regular one. Price is a bit steep, perhaps, but not too bad.

Usually these little trinkets and talismans are a total crock but this one legitimately looks useful. Might have to try one.

this. I don't use 8 finger tapping, but if I did, I'd buy it.

Last edited by whywefight : 10-13-2012 at 02:11 AM.
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
GibsonMan321
Semi-Lurker

I'm surprised there hasn't been something like this before. Seems like a rather useful thing for guitarists doing multi-finger tapping, as well as for keeping the pick from flying out of your hand. I can't do 8-finger tapping, but I'll have to try this thing out.
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
GibsonMan321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
UnmagicMushroom
UG's guitar-playing llama

good idea. this pick might also make something hybrid picking a lot easier

Check out my band "Save It For The Weekend"
UnmagicMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
Roc8995

Quote:
Originally Posted by whywefight
this. I don't 8 finger tapping, but if I did, I'd buy it.

I don't either, but I want to try it for hybrid picking or just not dropping the damn thing due to sweat.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
whywefight
ever mobile

Quote:
I don't either, but I want to try it for hybrid picking or just not dropping the damn thing due to sweat.

My fingers don't sweat
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Roc8995

I sweat enough to drop picks at gigs. Especially my first gig...in front of all my friends... right at the beginning of the first song...I tried to forget that.

I think I need a psychiatrist now. This is going to end up costing me a lot more than 7.99 + 2.50 shipping.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Call me a sucker, but i ordered 5. I really wanted that autographed patent sheet

I think I'll be able to sell a few of them to my buddies anyway, unless I decide that I want to keep them all.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:52 AM   #11
Shor

It's a bit expensive for what it is, but again...I've bought stupid things that cost way more.
I placed an order as well...kinda expensive with $4.50 shipping internationally, though.
The only thing I am worried about is that I'll like it so much that I keep using it all the time, and get used to having one all the time, so it'll be like a crutch.
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #12
Spaztikko

I can see me using this for that bitching sweep tap at the start of "Evil Eye". Will definitely think about buying one.

Unless someone here wants to swap for a scratched 2nd from gravity...

EDIT: AND SO I DON'T HAVE TO PUT MY PICK IN MY MOUTH OR DROP IT WHEN I TAP!
I thing I've just solved all my problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
lmao putting a 9v on yr ladybits thats just another ep of "tossing larry's salad" waitin to happen

Banging ur mum
I killed the chat thread again.

Last edited by Spaztikko : 10-13-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Cool JR.
It's no diferent than the Herco pics I have used (sometimes) for many years. The only difference is you can use yore favorite kind of picks and not be stuck with a brand you don't care much for.

If any of you guys use the small Jazz III pics I don't think this will work with them. Actually I am positive it won't work with them.

See the same concept, so really nothing new. He just took this design and made it interchangeable. BTW these are actually really good picks

IIRC, he said thumb picks were too large and the angle was wrong and didn't feel right. I guess I'll have to dig one up and compare when I get the picks.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Cool JR.
While holding my Herco it looks to be the same angle and length. But without having both at the same time to compare it's hard to tell for sure. But if there is any difference, it is going to be a very small difference. Considering everyone holds their pics a little different anyways neither one might feel right to some people. The Herco's are different from most finger pics at-least the traditional ones people think of. They have a better angle and a standard size pick.

They are cheep enough to buy so if you get your hands on some you could do a great side by side comparison. Then share your thoughts.

Forgot to mention earlier these pics are made by Dunlop.

Cool, I will do a comparison when I can. Do you have a link to where I can purchase those specific herco picks?

Edit: are these the same ones?

Last edited by W4RP1G : 10-13-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
Spaztikko

Just realised they cannot possibly be jazz size picks.

Sad feels.

Quote:
lmao putting a 9v on yr ladybits thats just another ep of "tossing larry's salad" waitin to happen

Banging ur mum
Old 10-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaztikko
Just realised they cannot possibly be jazz size picks.

Sad feels.

It can't hold a Jazz III?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #17
Spaztikko

No, like the size of the broderick pick's probably gotta be bigger, which I don't like.

Quote:

Banging ur mum
Old 10-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:

I sweat enough to drop picks at gigs. Especially my first gig...in front of all my friends... right at the beginning of the first song...I tried to forget that.

I think I need a psychiatrist now. This is going to end up costing me a lot more than 7.99 + 2.50 shipping.

Aw, man up and use your index finger/thumb as a pick! I actually regularly do this, just in case. There's nothing worse than dropping a pick mid-song and not being able to play certain parts. Then again, I also keep picks taped to the bottom edge of my guitar in case I drop one.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #19
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
IIRC, he said thumb picks were too large and the angle was wrong and didn't feel right. I guess I'll have to dig one up and compare when I get the picks.

I'm sure he is talking about typical thumb picks. There are a few companies making ones like Chris'. They are just a pick with a holder for the thumb. I've like the idea of them, as I don't use thumb picks for the same reason he states, but the 'other' models, although they feel right, sound like crap.

These picks may be good, 8$ for one isn't really that expensive when you get into the realm of upper-end guitar picks. It is just a holder though isn't it? That make me second guess it's usefulness. As others have said, it may not hold a Jazz III which is a very popular size.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.

Last edited by |Long| : 10-14-2012 at 01:43 PM.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #20
LaidBack
Call me Mike

Interesting. I usually don't tap with more than 3 or 4 fingers at a time, so I don't need this....but they couldn't have gotten a better hand model?
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: