Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #21
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack
Interesting. I usually don't tap with more than 3 or 4 fingers at a time, so I don't need this....but they couldn't have gotten a better hand model?

I don't see it just being used for tapping. I guess it's not as popular with electric, but fingerstyle, this is key. Also, hybrid picking, this can do wonders for you as well.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #22
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Long|
I'm sure he is talking about typical thumb picks. There are a few companies making ones like Chris'. They are just a pick with a holder for the thumb. I've like the idea of them, as I don't use thumb picks for the same reason he states, but the 'other' models, although they feel right, sound like crap.

These picks may be good, 8$ for one isn't really that expensive when you get into the realm of upper-end guitar picks. It is just a holder though isn't it? That make me second guess it's usefulness. As others have said, it may not hold a Jazz III which is a very popular size.

Yeah it's a pick holder(I know, I keep calling it a pick so it can be confusing). I'll have to test it out to see if it can hold a jazz III. Honestly, jazz IIIs are small, but I don't think they are too much smaller than some other picks out there, length-wise. There may be a 1-2mm difference, but I can't see that being a "make it or break it" thing for this pick clip. Of course, I could be completely wrong. Here's a pic from this thread, which shows the jazz III along side some other picks:

W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #23
Offworld92
One among the fence.

If it can't hold a Jazz III then what's the ****ing point?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #24
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

The jury is still out on that one. I will definitely let everyone know when I get them.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #25
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Consider who this is marketed at I'd say its a total failure if it can't hold a jazz iii

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #26
|Long|
String Theory

I guess also, there is some curiosity, at least for me, if you are able to pick with this without using your first finger for support. If the pick is snuggly fitted, it could work.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #27
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Ok, I got my pick clips. These things are just as good as I'd hoped they would be. I'm not one to do raving fanboy reviews either. I've played with several different kind of thumb picks in past when I played the Banjo more, so I can compare it those, or at least as far as comfort is concerned.

It's easily more comfortable than the National brand thumbpicks that Guitar Center sells. Although, that's not saying a lot, I've always hated those thumb picks. I used a Propik thumb pick for a while, and it's say it's more comparable to that, which is good because I always liked that one. This thumb pick is lighter though, I'm sure due to it being titanium and plastic(the pick I use is plastic)

As far as durability goes, it feels pretty solid, but I wonder if the part that wraps around the thumb can endure heavy daily use. I'd like to know how long one of these last Chris Broderick before slipping off becomes an issue(if it does at all). It's malleable, so it can shape to your thumb. This is good because it makes for a super tight fit. Definitely no issues with it coming off my thumb at the moment.

Now for the most important part, playing with it. I haven't used any fancy picks with it because I don't have any that I feel are heavy enough. I'm just using an Alpha Music 1.2mm pick atm. It took me a little tweaking to get the pick angle right, but once I did it was no issue at all. BUT, it should be noted that wearing a thumb pick feels natural to me. I remember when I first started to play the banjo, it took about a day before I didn't feel like I was going to have an anxiety attack from wearing finger picks. This pick clip felt totally natural after about 10 minutes.

Also, I nowhere near the level of Chris when it comes to 8-finger tapping, but I can say that sweep-tapping feels easier than ever. As was expected, it's an easier way to do it. I guess could say the lazy way, like using a string dampener to clean up your sweeps. I doubt Chris needs such a thing for sweep tapping, just as many guitarists don't, it's just kind of a nice bonus. Of course, the real purpose of the pick is for 8-finger tapping. I'm not good enough to throw that into the middle of a song yet, but I have no reason to believe that it won't work as it's supposed to as of yet. And I should add that I am still getting used to galloping with it.

It also works well for finger style, or at least on an electric. I don't think I would try to use it for something heavy, like finger style acoustic or the banjo as that could cause premature wear, and these babies aren't cheap. The reason I believe it would wear is because it doesn't wrap all the way around the thumb like regular thumb picks. I'm thinking that would put more strain on the joint that holds the pick, which can't be good. I could be wrong, but I'm not going to test it.

As far as holding a Jazz III is concerned, I haven't tried it, but Chris has stated that it will hold a Jazz pick. I'm not sure if he was referring specifically to the Jazz III though. But here's the thing, with the way a regular sized pick sits in the pick clip, the tip that protrudes blow my thumb is jsut as small as a Jazz III. The reason being that the pick clip sits well above the thumb, probably by 5mm or more. Basically, I'm saying that using a Jazz III will likely give you no advantage over a standard sized pick. I could be wrong, and I intend to try it out with one soon, but that's how it looks right now. So the only reason to use a Jazz III would be if you already own some and don't want to buy more picks.

Basically, I think these things are a worthwhile venture for any guitarist looking for a better way to do 8-finger tapping. However, the whether or not they are worth the price, $11 with shipping or more, is up in the air. If one pick lasts a year, then hell yes! If it only lasts a few months before it starts slipping off my finger, then probably not. Only time will tell.

I will compare it to the Herco thumb picks when I get them in the mail, which is going to be at least a week.

Last edited by W4RP1G : 10-17-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #28
stratman_13
tick tick bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
I don't either, but I want to try it for hybrid picking or just not dropping the damn thing due to sweat.

I lose an average of three picks a show because of sweat, I feel your pain.

I don't tap but honestly that looks like something that would be ridiculously..

*glasses*

Handy.

Seriously though, I might actually give one of these a shot.

Each year that passes rings you inwardly with memory and might. Wield your heart, and the world will tremble.
stratman_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #29
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman_13
I lose an average of three picks a show because of sweat, I feel your pain.

I don't tap but honestly that looks like something that would be ridiculously..

Handy.

Seriously though, I might actually give one of these a shot.

Fixed.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #30
thebestjoe

I ordered these friday night as soon as I saw this thread (I'm a Borderick fanboy, had to get the autograph). Came in the mail today. Convieniently, I have a gig tonight to, so I'll let you all know how they work with Jazz III's

Edit:
I do the fancy 8 finger taps too, so I can report on that too.
Schecter Omen-7 with X2N and D-Thing
Douglas Scope 727

Last edited by thebestjoe : 10-18-2012 at 02:30 PM.
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #31
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist

Well I can't tap for shit, I don't play metal and I haven't a clue who this chris bloke is. But, maybe people should try the jazz iii xl for these? I use them for rhythm playing and they're amazing. And seeing as you're gonna have enough room for a regular sized pick, which will have (I assume) the same amount of pick exposed as using a regular jazz iii, surely a different pick womb affect it? I don't know.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #32
Nico the Great
Damned Icon

The store is down! Aaaaaahhhh! I've been wanting one of these for forever!

Damned Icon - Portraits of a Man EP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Nico the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #33
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

People still use Jazz IIIs? They sound horrible!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #34
thebestjoe

The jazz III's were a bust, they were too short to have it sit fully in the clip, and then if it had enough out to play (For me anyway), it was held really loosely in it so it was really unusable. Gotta order some Jazz III XL's now to truly test it.
Douglas Scope 727
Old 10-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #35
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjoe
Gotta order some Jazz III XL's now to truly test it.

Do the XLs have the same tips as the regulars?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #36
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

I just tried it out with a Jazz III(the smallest Jazz III), and it does work fine with it when playing. The only difference is that the pick doesn't reach the slot at the top of the clip, so when you take the clip off of your thumb, the pick doesn't stay in place. But, while you are wearing it, the little teeth on the clip hold the pick so that it doesn't move.

Basically what that means, is that you will have to spend a few seconds positioning the pick every time you want to use the pick clip with it. Personally, that would annoy me as I like having it setup and ready to go. Fortunately, I still see no benefit to using a Jazz III vs a regular sized pick in the pick clip, so that's what I will continue to do. If there was some benefit to using a Jazz III, I would probably just suck it up and use it.

I'm curious to hear how the Jazz Xls work. People seem to have a boner for Jazz IIIs, so it could be the best way to use the pick clip with one.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #37
thebestjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92

From my understanding of them, they're just a Jazz III that's the size of a regular pick. The same effect can probably be achieved by filing down any 1.14 mm pick to a point.
Douglas Scope 727
Old 10-22-2012, 03:02 AM   #38
Roopelatvalafan
XP: 145

The only reason for using jazz III is the sharp tip of it, but the downside is that it totally kills your tone (can be heard really easy if you use it on a acoustic guitar an compare to a regular pick).
So to get something that has the same advantage of the sharp tip, but sounds nice, you should get the dunlup Tortex SHARP picks, which is the ones that both Jeff Loomis AND Chris Broderick uses. They take some time to adjust to (they are even sharper than jazz III picks), but once you do, they are awesome!

Bugera 333xl
Peavey 5150 Cab
TC Electronics G-major
RG1527 w/ Dimarzio X2n-7 and Evo-7
Kramer Voyager
Ltd JH-600 w/ 2 emg 81, floyd rose and S and key inlays
Fender Classic 50 strat
Roopelatvalafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:20 AM   #39
Spaztikko

Really? I use Jazz IIIs cuz they're small, idgaf about the tip, although it probably helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
lmao putting a 9v on yr ladybits thats just another ep of "tossing larry's salad" waitin to happen

Banging ur mum
I killed the chat thread again.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #40
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92

They are exactly the same except the XLs are the size of a normal plectrum. I much prefer the xl. If only they did them in tortex like the standard jazz iii then that'd be perfect.

Rate This Thread: