Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #41
zippoarm

Hello! After lurking this forum for a couple years, I decided to make an account because of this thread. After messing around with them for a few days, I've gotten very used to these pick clips. I use Jazz III picks and they fit like a charm after some adjustment to the clip. They're very secured in their place btw.

A few pics below. If there is any interest, upon request I don't mind putting a video up on Youtube to show how well these pick clips work.

zippoarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #42
Spaztikko

I'll ignore the fact it's a BLACK JAZZ III (Shocking!) and thank you for putting them up. Here comes my christmas present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
lmao putting a 9v on yr ladybits thats just another ep of "tossing larry's salad" waitin to happen

Banging ur mum
I killed the chat thread again.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #43
zippoarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaztikko
I'll ignore the fact it's a BLACK JAZZ III (Shocking!) and thank you for putting them up. Here comes my christmas present.

Problem?
zippoarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:25 AM   #44
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippoarm
I use Jazz III picks and they fit like a charm after some adjustment to the clip. They're very secured in their place btw.

Glad to see that you go thte Jazz III to stay in your pic clip. I'm not sure what adjustment you could have made that I didn't but it does look like your thumb might be a little thinner than mine, so that could explain why I couldn't get to work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Cool JR.
It's no diferent than the Herco pics I have used (sometimes) for many years. The only difference is you can use yore favorite kind of picks and not be stuck with a brand you don't care much for.

If any of you guys use the small Jazz III pics I don't think this will work with them. Actually I am positive it won't work with them.

See the same concept, so really nothing new. He just took this design and made it interchangeable. BTW these are actually really good picks

Ok, I got my Herco thumbpicks in the mail today. I'll start by saying that they are massive and unusable for what I play. I haven't taken any pictures comparing my pick clip with an average sized pick in it to the Herco, but I can if someone wants to see the difference.

Secondly, I bought the "heavy" Hercos, and they are about the same stiffness as regular 1mm dunlop pick. That was disappointing. But i guess not the worst thing considering that I had to cut the pick down to use it.

Lastly, the bottom part of the clip digs into my thumb, and by 5 minutes of playing, it's all I can think about. It's very uncomfortable. AS I mentioned above, I might have a wider thumb than the average person(I do have large hands), so that could be part of the reason why. That's one of the strong points of the Chris Broderick pick clip, that I can fit it to my finger. I've spent so much time playing with it and I just seem to forget about it, which is exactly what I want.

The bottom line is that the Herco picks could be ok IF you have a thinner thumb than I have, you want a 1mm or smaller pick, and you are ok with trimming them down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roopelatvalafan
So to get something that has the same advantage of the sharp tip, but sounds nice, you should get the dunlup Tortex SHARP picks, which is the ones that both Jeff Loomis AND Chris Broderick uses. They take some time to adjust to (they are even sharper than jazz III picks), but once you do, they are awesome!

Awesome, thanks for the info!
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #45
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
The only reason for using jazz III is the sharp tip of it, but the downside is that it totally kills your tone (can be heard really easy if you use it on a acoustic guitar an compare to a regular pick).
So to get something that has the same advantage of the sharp tip, but sounds nice, you should get the dunlup Tortex SHARP picks, which is the ones that both Jeff Loomis AND Chris Broderick uses. They take some time to adjust to (they are even sharper than jazz III picks), but once you do, they are awesome!

Um, part of the reason I use Jazz IIIs is FOR the tone. Your opinions are not fact.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #46
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
The only reason for using jazz III is the sharp tip of it, but the downside is that it totally kills your tone (can be heard really easy if you use it on a acoustic guitar an compare to a regular pick).

Really? Look at all the flatpickers out there (acoustic world) and most will use thick picks like the Jazz III. That is an extremely poor conclusion with no factual evidence.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #47
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Cool JR.
The Hercos are the same size as a Dunlop Nylon pick (.88 are my favorites) just a little pointier. I am not a fan of the JazzIII picks at all, they are just to small, pointy and thick/stiff for my hands/taste. Also they are very dull sounding to my ears, not to mention (IMO) pick slides suck with them. I also have very big hands So I know what you mean about the Herco clips, but that is easily fixable.

All you have to do is either heat up the clip with a lighter (or boiling water can work to I've heard) and it will easily reshape. I have to reshape them myself because they are to small for my thumb from the factory. Doesn't help you out much though since the pick itself is to big for your taste.

They make all different kinds of picks for a reason. What works great for one person can completely hinder another person, JazzIIIs are a great example. I am glad to hear your feedback though of the comparison and glad you like the C.B clips. I might have to buy one someday and try it out. Then I can have a clip for my Dunlop Nylons. Hopefully you didn't have to burn to much money on the Hercos. They are only .50c each at my local shop and I know you said you had to order them.

.50c each I payed $5 for a 3-pack It wasn't a loss though, I finally made use of a $5 Best Buy gift card.

I guess for .50c each, they might be worth modifying(although I find the thickness to be far too light for my tastes). I'm happy with the pick clip, and according to Stephani Cabral(a woman who knows Chris), Chris has been using the same pick clip for over a year , so I guess the 4 I have left will last me for a while.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #48
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

The XLs have pretty much the same sharp tip I think. I imagine they feel a lot different though.

You could always consider stop using jazzIIIs if you need to 8 finger tap? I stopped using them anyways, I still probably am better with them for shred, but after 3 yrs, I've rediscovered old style picks again. Oh and using the jazzIIIs really helped me get better and more accurate, now it seems even easier with a less pointy tip, and the tone can be much smoother.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #49
rui97sousa

hello to all, where do I buy the pick of chris broderick and Herco.
I await an answer, thanks.
rui97sousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:49 AM   #50
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rui97sousa
hello to all, where do I buy the pick of chris broderick and Herco.
I await an answer, thanks.

You can buy the Chris Broderick pick clip from here, but only when they are available for purchase. Subscribe to Chris Broderick's Facebook page to get updates. If he says they are available, you'd better act quick because the last batch lasted 1 day before selling out.

You can get the hercos picks from Bestbuy if you're in the USA. If not, you'll have to look around.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #51
rui97sousa

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
You can buy the Chris Broderick pick clip from here, but only when they are available for purchase. Subscribe to Chris Broderick's Facebook page to get updates. If he says they are available, you'd better act quick because the last batch lasted 1 day before selling out.

You can get the hercos picks from Bestbuy if you're in the USA. If not, you'll have to look around.

Thanks W4RP1G, to see, I'm Portuguese. I make one
rui97sousa is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: