Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
ToneMasterDelux
UG's Question Kid

Blown Caps, Scrap the amp?

I have a Pignose G40v that I actually really liked but one day it just turned off. A few months later after some internet learning I figured out how to safely open, drain and test a PT.

Anyways I tested the PT by just clamping into the circuit as in a demo. I turned the amp on and got readings of .60 to -.27 VAC varying. Then my dad noticed that a capacitor was leaking brown fluid and was ballooned (not leaking at the time but dried leakage) onto the PCB, I was wondering if the fluid ruined/ could ruin the pcb and if I should replace all the capacitors. It is the only one leaking but there is another that looks a bit puffed up. Could the issues with the PT have caused this?
ToneMasterDelux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Caps can leak due to a number of things. Over voltage can cause them to leak. They can also leak if an internal issue causes them to overheat.

How old is the amp?

If you're fairly capable at soldering, just replace the caps. Clean up the mess after removing the old ones, then solder in new ones.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:52 AM   #3
ToneMasterDelux
UG's Question Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
Caps can leak due to a number of things. Over voltage can cause them to leak. They can also leak if an internal issue causes them to overheat.

How old is the amp?

If you're fairly capable at soldering, just replace the caps. Clean up the mess after removing the old ones, then solder in new ones.

The amp is from the 90's, and I can solder, should I replace the other inflating caps or even all of them?
ToneMasterDelux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Filter caps to go bad. Replace them all.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
seljer
UG Resident

larges caps are hardly over a couple of $ each, replace all of the electrolytics
seljer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
seabear70
Lost in the Twilight Zone

seabear70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: