Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
pyrostat

Songs that will help me improve?

hello, I am a intermediate guitarist, and i want to learn more songs. Songs that will help me improve?

The trouble i have is, where is a realiable source for this? some are people made, which can be inaccurate at times. thank you
pyrostat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
arabmetallion

I'm an intermediate too I guess but what I've found is trying to play a song slightly above my level hugely improved my skill. for example the first fast solo I learned was one and it took me a long time to be able to play it but after learning it, learning other solos actually became fun and a much easier process.
I don't know what sort of music your in to or what exactly it is your trying to improve but Ide say fade to black by metallica is great for improving many aspects of your playing unless it's below your level that is haha.
Zoom 505 II
ESP Ltd MH-50
arabmetallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
rickyvanh

I have been using Tab Pro for about a year now.The tabs are so much easier to follow then the usual tabs here,plus you can click the play button and hear it while the notes are highlighted.I think you can try it free if you pick a song that has it.It hits my bank account every month for like $3,I think it's worth it.It is especially helpful on more complex stuff.
rickyvanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
arabmetallion

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyvanh
I have been using Tab Pro for about a year now.The tabs are so much easier to follow then the usual tabs here,plus you can click the play button and hear it while the notes are highlighted.I think you can try it free if you pick a song that has it.It hits my bank account every month for like $3,I think it's worth it.It is especially helpful on more complex stuff.

+1
I use an app called "songsterr" on my android phone and it functions in the same way that tab pro does. It really has made it much easier to learn stuff especially with the slow down feature, it's replaced my ultimate guitar tabs app now which I rarley even use anymore
Zoom 505 II
ESP Ltd MH-50
arabmetallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
macashmack
Maskcashmack

learn it by ear. You get technique AND ear training in one.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrostat
hello, I am a intermediate guitarist, and i want to learn more songs. Songs that will help me improve?

Honestly, this question is impossible to answer.

"Intermediate" is a broad category. It can range from people who know their cowboy chords and can play them reasonably cleanly to people who are pretty good but don't consider themselves at the level of a professional musician.

If you're not going to take lessons (and a big part of taking lessons is having an intsructor who can find the intersection between what you enjoy playing, and what you're almost capable of playing) then what you have to do is pretty simple:

Pick a song that you want to learn. Try. Struggle with it a bit. Maybe look up youtube lessons or tabs*. If it's too hard for you, try something that seems simpler and come back to it later. Recognize that when you're gaining skill, it make take working through some challenges to actually gain it. It'll help if you can guesstimate what's not too far beyond your current ability.

Repeat as necessary.

* I'm not anti tab, but the presence of tabs and online lessons is NOT AN EXCUSE FOR YOU TO NOT WORK ON YOUR EAR.

You'll find that tabs are more effective the more developed your ear is. The simple truth is that you will have a really hard time learning and remembering complex passages if you are thinking of them as a series of hand positions, whereas once your ear is developed you'll find that you only really have to remember how the song goes and you'll be able to play it, once you've learned it.

Are some tabs wrong? Sure. Lots of 'em are. Of course, if your ear isn't developed enough to tell, then it doesn't really matter, now, does it? In any event, start working on your ear right now. Today. The functional ear trainer from miles.be. Download it and use it.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
steven seagull
not really a seagull

ANYTHING new you learn will help you improve provided you learn it properly and pay proper attention to detail.

Equally if you don't do those things then you'll never get the proper value out of anything you learn regardless of the difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:46 AM   #8
dukepayen

im just now beginning to learn how to sing, and i know some warm-ups and such but thats pretty much it, &+ i just practice singing along to song, will that help me some what.
i still have problems like holding out a note or singing in tone, or even keeping my breath it always comes up short, what can help me fix all that?
dukepayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:17 AM   #9
Hail
kill both bass players

TS, do you listen to any music?
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #10
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Suggest a song threAd.

Rate This Thread: