Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
Tokai09

What kind of pitching do I have

I just started my degree recently and we've been working on relative pitch. My lecturer mentioned perfect pitch, which in his word said "It is nigh on impossible to achieve perfect pitch" which is most probably true without a lot of practice. Anyway, I was doing my relative pitch exercises and I could get it slightly but when I tried a perfect pitch exercise I was getting a large majority of the answers right, I struggled a bit when the note changed octave but I got used to it.

I don't really get it, so am I between relative and perfect pitch or something?

Thanks

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Tokai09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Can you identify a note just by hearing it, with no references whatsoever? If no, you don't have perfect pitch.

My understanding of perfect pitch is you are either born with it or you can learn it at a very young age... somehow.

But, even if adults could learn it, because it's so hard to do so, there's no point in trying when you could work on having amazing relative pitch.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
Tokai09

It's almost like half and half. Some notes I can just hear and say the note, other times I relate them to a chord.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
:-D
hi

take it from someone with perfect pitch

work on your relative pitch and don't worry about attaching a label to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
macashmack
Maskcashmack

I used to have perfect pitch but now i don't anymore :p
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
British_Steal
UG Member

Location: Up here in space Im looking down on you My lasers trace Everything you do
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D
take it from someone with perfect pitch

work on your relative pitch and don't worry about attaching a label to it

Ladies and Gentlemen a Deity is among us

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.

Last edited by British_Steal : 10-12-2012 at 09:08 PM.
British_Steal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
TimboSlice
Like Kimbo, but whiter

Yeah, your test seems a little imperfect in that you'd still have a note from the previous answer in your memory. Perfect pitch would be somebody tinking a glass and you being able to identify that it's an A, or that somebody's phone vibrating on the table sounds an F#. Relative pitch is far more practical, and more easily developed. Work at it and enjoy reaping the rewards.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
AmalgamOfMeat
Naw

Sometimes I recognize the absolute pitch of random things. For instance, if a sound happens to be the same pitch I associate with a particular part of a song, I'll be like "oh, that's the same note as that part in that song, and that note's a C or whatever." I don't think I'd do very well on command, though. So that's a thing that happens.
AmalgamOfMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
Tokai09

What's absolute pitch? I actually haven't heard of it....or I have and haven't listened, cause what you have is very similar to how i recognize notes and chords.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
jazz_rock_feel
Banned

Absolute pitch is another name for perfect pitch. And you probably don't have it. And you probably don't want it, it seems like it would be more annoying than anything else.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
Tokai09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
Absolute pitch is another name for perfect pitch. And you probably don't have it. And you probably don't want it, it seems like it would be more annoying than anything else.

Yeah i heard people can't listen to AC/DC because there are a few bum notes in the recording. I just don't get how I can't get relative pitch but I can listen to notes or chords and know what they are.....confuzzled haha.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #12
sideslick
Teenage Accident

To the best fitting thread I could find:

I recently realized I was humming MCA's bassline for the Beastie Boys' "Sabotage" in the correct key.

I picked up my bass to play the riff and - low and behold - they matched exactly.

I waited a day and did the same thing with "Spoonman", by Soundgarden and the same thing happened.

Hours later, I did the same thing with "Nightmare", by A7X.

I don't have a very good relative pitch, and I know next to no music theory, but would being able to play in key without external reference be considered "perfect pitch"?

I am so sorry for my mother's "escapades"...
sideslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #13
rubbert

you just have listened to those songs a lot...maybe too much, and memorized them...

don't suck your own dick man...can't be done
rubbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #14
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideslick
To the best fitting thread I could find:

I recently realized I was humming MCA's bassline for the Beastie Boys' "Sabotage" in the correct key.

I picked up my bass to play the riff and - low and behold - they matched exactly.

I waited a day and did the same thing with "Spoonman", by Soundgarden and the same thing happened.

Hours later, I did the same thing with "Nightmare", by A7X.

I don't have a very good relative pitch, and I know next to no music theory, but would being able to play in key without external reference be considered "perfect pitch"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levitin_effect

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #15
Tokai09

I'm not saying I have perfect pitch cause to be honest I wouldn't really want it. I do tend to remember the notes by songs, for example I would remember a D because it's the first note of With or Without You by U2. But then I know what a C#/Db would sound like because I know the flattened sound. Then if there is a melody or chord and I listen to the first note I think "Oh yeah, that's a C# because it sounds a half step lower than the first note of With or Without You" then I'm able to go from there and play the rest of the phrase. It's just how my mind processes it. I guess it similar to what Sideslick has mentioned, since I was able to do it when I was younger but now my theory has developed I can do it better than what I used too.

Last edited by Tokai09 : 10-13-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #16
EmilGD
Unregistered User

I think it was Alan that said in a similar thread some weeks ago that with perfect pitch you can differentiate and name the pitches like you can differentiate and name colours. To compare that with the post above, you don't usually recognize the colour green by thinking "that's a tad more yellow than blue, so it has to be green", do you?
EmilGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #17
Tokai09

I know you see colours when you have perfect pitch, I don't see colours. Then again I'm slightly colour blind...sooo haha. But I don't see colours, it's like a lightbulb goes off in my mind haha.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #18
jazz_rock_feel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokai09
I know you see colours when you have perfect pitch, I don't see colours. Then again I'm slightly colour blind...sooo haha. But I don't see colours, it's like a lightbulb goes off in my mind haha.

That's something completely different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synest...lor_synesthesia
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #19
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokai09
I'm not saying I have perfect pitch cause to be honest I wouldn't really want it. I do tend to remember the notes by songs, for example I would remember a D because it's the first note of With or Without You by U2. But then I know what a C#/Db would sound like because I know the flattened sound. Then if there is a melody or chord and I listen to the first note I think "Oh yeah, that's a C# because it sounds a half step lower than the first note of With or Without You" then I'm able to go from there and play the rest of the phrase. It's just how my mind processes it. I guess it similar to what Sideslick has mentioned, since I was able to do it when I was younger but now my theory has developed I can do it better than what I used too.

OK, this sounds like you remember the song in the right key and just compare the notes you hear to that song. That's not perfect pitch. You just remember the song in the correct key. And that sounds the same as what rockingamer2 posted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingamer2

I think if you had perfect pitch, you could immediately tell that the note is C#. You wouldn't have to compare it to the key of a song. Whenever you heard a note, you would know what it was. So the color example was good. When you see something blue, you instantly can tell that it's blue and you don't have to compare it to other colors.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #20
Tokai09

So in laymans terms, what is synesthesia?

Rate This Thread: