Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Maidenheadsteve
I do the guitar good

Good bass driver for punk and metal?

My group's got a show comimng up, and I haven't been told what type/model of amps we're being provided with. If it sounds crappy, my bass player is gonna need a dist pedal. Seeing as I only play guitar, I've got no clue what models would be good for what we're playing, which (in order) is rage against the machine, two originals with an iron maiden sound, actual iron maiden, and billy talent.

So, basically something that can go from something punky to Brit Metal. I'm ball-parking it a budget at $100 for now.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

EHX Bass Muff Pi
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Maidenheadsteve
I do the guitar good

any well know users of it?
Old 10-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
SSaxdude

I couldn't find any well known users of the Bass Muff. If it sounds like the regular Muff but for bass then it would be worth it. However after doing some research on Google it seems that some bassists like the regular Muff more for bass, especially the Russian Big Muff.

I've also heard some bassists (like Krist from Nirvana) used a ProCo Rat distortion with good results. If that's what he used to get that distorted sound for "D-7" for the Reading 1992 show, then I'll probably buy one eventually.
SSaxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Anthoje

I have been in a cover band that plays mainly classic rock and metal as a bassist. The EHX Big Muff Pi for bass has been my only drive pedal and can do a lot, from the Cliff Burton sounds in Metallica (original soviet big muff pi for guitar), to Muse synth sounds (several types of big muff pi through the years).

I don't know if it has enough drive for billy talent sounds, as the wooly mammoth from ZVex has a LOT of gain, but this pedal is pricey: maybe look for a good copy?

Sterling JP50, Fender CP Jazzmaster, Danelectro Danoblaster 12 strings, Aria 5102T, Epiphone LP STD 7 string => Carvin V3M

Peavey Cirrus BXP-5 => Trace Elliot GP7SM250

Korg X50
Anthoje is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: