Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
prettychillguy

Question Slanted or straight cabs for live performance?

common question i know, i've done my share of googling but haven't found a thread going into detail of the differences live.
I'm looking into buying a 4x12, and i am aware of the basic differences but what about live? I'd like a straight cab for that extra bass control but my band plays small gigs in clubs and theaters mostly, so the stages we play are rather small, and ill obviously be close to my gear the whole time. In my past experience, most of the "sound techs" were completely clueless so i've had to rely mainly on my own equipment for my sound.

Will i be able to hear myself playing ok or will i just be feeling it on my ass? also for those with experience, how well does a straight cab project the sound towards the audience compared to a slanted?
prettychillguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
phoenix_crush
Former Registered User

I would pick slanted since it will direct the sound a little more towards your ears, but it really won't make a big difference.

Ampeg V4, Acoustic 450, Laney AOR 50
Mesa 2x12, Acoustic 2x15, Acoustic 4x12
phoenix_crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

I'm interested in this too. I think straight ones look cooler...
Old 10-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
gumbilicious
beginner

the differences are subtle, probably too subtle for me to go into, but i will

as phoenix mentions, slanted cabs offer an offset of the top speakers so they can be pointed slightly upward to hear better. you will see similar considerations with combo amps that have an angled baffle. i personally see this as the biggest advantage worth mentioning.

straight front cabs will be more beamy and directional, some people will run some kinda round 'scattering deflector' (this can be as simple as a layer of tape on the grille of the amp in front of the speaker) to help break up the intense directionality inherent with any closed back design.

the next consideration is internal volume of the cab. the more internal volume of a closed back cab, the better low end performance you'll get (this is not a hard rule, but a generality as more internal volume will generally lower the resonance freq of a speaker and therefore provide better low end response). a straight 4x12 will probably have more internal volume than the similar angled 4x12, so it is claimed the straight 4x12 will have more low end response.

there has been claims of more volume in an angled 4x12, mainly because internal sound deflection in the cab also plays a role in sound intensity (sound bounced around internally in a cab can effect the sound projected out the front). the thought process is: an angled cab offers more odd angles internally which cuts down on certain standing waves in the cab.

mutual coupling. there is a tendency for speakers producing the same signal to 'couple' and intensify the output and this is a result of constructive phase interference. there is limitations to the phenomenon, for example: the biggest volume/loudness benefit is below a certain crit frequency based on distance between speakers. one stipulation to get the most benefit from mutual coupling is that all the speakers need to be on the same plain, if you offset any speakers at different angles then more destructive phasing interference is introduced. this would have the result that angled 4x12's cancel out some the extra low end that a straight front 4x12 would benefit from.

in reality, these are INCREDIBLY subtle effects compared to how a 4x12 will interact with a room. they are also minimized if the cab is mic'd (the the FOH PA guy will be adjusting levels and EQ anyway and might even be controlling your monitoring). so while this might have been an interesting read it really doesn't have much bearing to actual performance.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 10-13-2012 at 03:22 PM.
gumbilicious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
prettychillguy

thanks alot for the responses everybody c:
prettychillguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
guitardedhero

What's cool about slants is you can put them sideways so you get a straight that projects at different angles. A straight is gonna be the same no matter how you do it.
Amps:
Peavey 6505+/Mesa 4x12
Pedalboard:
TC Polytune
ISP Decimator G String
Green Rhino
MXR Phase 90
MXR 10 band EQ
BBE Sonic Stomp
Guyatone MDm5 Delay
Guyatone MD3 Delay
TC Hall of Fame Reverb
guitardedhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

I like straight cabs. You can stack anything on them.

There really isn't much difference sound wise. Just a slight difference in projection. Not enough of a difference for me.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: