Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Martis93

Living near a radio tower

Aight guys, so here's my long story short:
I get radio interference when I plug my guitar into an amp (or an interface, doesn't matter). I've checked my cables, my guitar, my grounding, even had some radio technicians come over to my house. Is there any way to solve this annoying piece of shit problem? It drives me nuts when I'm playing, needless to say I can't make any recordings. I know it's a common problem but I have yet to find a way to solve it. Is there anything else I haven't tried or should I consider suicide? Thanks.
Martis93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
ibanez2011

have you tried using a different guitar? I had this problem when I lived in the city, I switched guitars and the problem went away. the pick ups in the guitar that was picking up the radio were not wax potted, and it was old as shit, so I think that had something to do with it
Old 02-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
ecvMatt
clamper

Don't worry, the brain tumor will take care of the problem soon.

You didn't say what kind of guitar, maybe shielding the pick guard /cavity.

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
ecvMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

what kind of interference (what does it sound like)?

What kind of guitar (specifically, I'm wondering about the pickups)?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
jpnyc

You could just make the analog spectrum as irrelevant as possible. Shield the existing electronics cavity in the guitar, use covered pickups, get a digital wireless system built into a new unshielded cavity, and play through a digital modeling system. But if you really want to just plug a cable into an amp and play…move.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
desperatechris
Banned

I had the same problem with my old SS amp. It will never go away, never go away, never go away.
desperatechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
Martis93

It's a PRS SE Custom 24, I've tried it with my older Washburn, the problem remains in both. They both have passive humbuckers. The interference is just radio playing through my amp, a national station in particular.

JPNYC - I need the amp for the tone, I just love it. I guess there are a few more things I could try as said above, but I suppose moving is my only option. Damn it.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
paruwi
€pi Wiki Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martis93
Aight guys, so here's my long story short:
I get radio interference when I plug my guitar into an amp (or an interface, doesn't matter). I've checked my cables, my guitar, my grounding, even had some radio technicians come over to my house. Is there any way to solve this annoying piece of shit problem? It drives me nuts when I'm playing, needless to say I can't make any recordings. I know it's a common problem but I have yet to find a way to solve it. Is there anything else I haven't tried or should I consider suicide? Thanks.

This should be worth a read....

http://www.electrosmog-free-living.com/uk/loesung.php
paruwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
NormH3

Sounds as if the cable might be acting like an attenna. I believe you said that it happens when you plug into the amp regardless of what is plugged into the other end. The signal is probably being rectified somewhere within the amp. You might have to add some ferrite cores to the power cord and/or guitar cord.
NormH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
rockstar256

rpg 7 it
rockstar256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
Martis93

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormH3
Sounds as if the cable might be acting like an attenna. I believe you said that it happens when you plug into the amp regardless of what is plugged into the other end. The signal is probably being rectified somewhere within the amp. You might have to add some ferrite cores to the power cord and/or guitar cord.

No, it does matter what is plugged into the amp - every guitar does this, however, when I plug in a mic, there's no radio interferance.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #12
NormH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martis93
No, it does matter what is plugged into the amp - every guitar does this, however, when I plug in a mic, there's no radio interferance.

Does it happen when nothing is plugged into the cord?...in other words, cord is plugged into amp and that's it.
NormH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #13
Martis93

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormH3
Does it happen when nothing is plugged into the cord?...in other words, cord is plugged into amp and that's it.

Nope, only when the chain is guitar > cable > amp

Rate This Thread: