Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

How much does Guitar Center pay for used gear?

Hope this is the right forum for this!

I have some old gear I am looking to get rid of (and no one on craig's list/ebay seems interested in) and I was wondering if it's worth bringing to Guitar Center. I am assuming they pay peanuts...anyone ever sell to them?
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
dannyalcatraz

GC- and any other reseller- typically pays between 30-50% of what they believe they can sell something for. They may pay more if something is exotic or in high demand in some way. So look online and see what your stuff is going for, and half it.

Selling directly to someone is generally going to get you more money. However, it may cost you time and money to find the right buyer for your stuff.

So you have to ask yourself if you want quick cash or th most cash for your stuff.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
ibacred
Plays the Geetar

I was in this exact situation about a month ago. I tried to sell two guitars on CL, ebay, and to friends for about two months, with no bites. I gave up and took it to guitar center. They don't give that much, I got $170 for a guitar that they sell new for $450.

If you take gear there, they'll tell you how much you can get before they make you trade it in, so just take it over there and see what they say

Carvin Bolt Classic
LTD EC 1000
Parker PDF100
HD500 pod
ibacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
deadlydictator

Go in with some cash too and see if you can get a little more in credit for some new gear. Usually theyll help youout. I take my gear to smaller family shops first though, GC will tell you they have to pay a set price for gear. Family shops will try to help you out because they probably need the business, or genuinely give a **** abut the customer.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Huge Guy

Ok thanks. It's a couple of practice amps, I just have too many. I'll try ebay for a little longer and see if I get any bites.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #6
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

they do not pay shit.

but they often have very good prices on used gear. maybe thats why.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
|Long|
String Theory

You will also get a lower rate if they are not a dealer of the item you are selling them. FYI.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
Huge Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Long|
You will also get a lower rate if they are not a dealer of the item you are selling them. FYI.

Thanks, this I did not know. Will probably just take the stuff to a local store if I can't sell it on my own.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
OldEscape
Banned

You gotta remember those people at GC are like car dealers, commission is everything to them, whether you're selling something to them or buying from them, most times they're going to be looking to take advantage of you, that's why they try to sell you the first garbage instrument they can once your foot's inside the door. A lot of the people that work there are going to have this mindset: there's a sucker born every minute
Definitely go to the bay or CL first.

If you buy cheap junk then you're going to lose out in the long run should you decide to sell. Try to buy something from the start that's going to retain or grow in value.
OldEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
samuraigoomba

I've watched friends go to stores to sell their stuff over the years, and it seems like they always get taken compared to what I get online. I know it takes longer to sell that way, but I usually get more money no matter what it is I'm selling.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #11
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

They offered me $240 for a guitar they were going to sell for $400.
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
JKHC

They pay you 60% off the average price the item goes for on ebay.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
JKHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKHC
They pay you 60% off the average price the item goes for on ebay.

We have a winner.

When selling something to GC, the salesperson will look up the price of the gear on ebay, and offer you about half of that. That's the exact process.

Guitar

Whenever I hear someone say that they play exclusively a single genre, I always assume that they're just a terrible guitarist.
kangaxxter is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: