Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #1
JDRed

Looking for 4x12

So yeah. I'm looking for a 4x12. I know I really don't need a half-stack, but then again, I really don't need anything. I'm pretty set on a head, but I need good suggestions for low mid-priced cabs. I also saw this one: http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/msg/3336774455.html

Would the speakers be alright? I know I've got a celestion in my solid-state fender combo, and it's delightful. I live in Akron, Ohio, USA. I play every genre, but I'd mainly be using it for hard-rock.
JDRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
gregs1020
plays with his peters.

what head do you have?

what kind of music do you play?

the stock speakers in that cab are pretty underwhelming generally.

budget?

/inb4youdon'tneedahalfstack
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
JDRed

I said I play everything, but mainly hard-rock at shows. And I'll be using a Blackstar ht-20 with it, most likely. budget for the cab would be 500 hundred, willing to go used, obviously. And underwhelming as in nothing special? Or bad?
JDRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:46 AM   #4
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Jet City JCA48S
350, Birch Ply, Eminence speakers... good quality too.
Originally Posted by gregs1020
I've said it before, nothing says metal like a grill you can bounce a bottle of Jack Daniels off.
What can you learn in 20 days?
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:54 AM   #5
Offworld92
One among the fence.

IMO, the MIA Peavey cabs are really nice if you can get them for that price (~$150ish)

A lot of people say Peavey speakers are meh. I don't really have much of an opinion, but I like my cab. I've never A/Bed them with anything better personally.

So though my post was sort of pointless, I'll say this - MIA Peavey cabs aren't BAD. You could just do better (unless $150 is your budget. Then I'd doubt it).

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 POD HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackened
Jet City JCA48S

I do not recommend this. I have the JCA24S and I honestly am having some buyer's remorse over not having bought a Randall 2x12 with Celestion Rocket 50 speakers, just because I liked the visual aesthetics more, because, quite frankly, the stock Jet City speakers are absolutely terrible. They severely lack clarity, especially since they have almost no upper-mid response and because they're very bassy and lower-mid heavy. The highs aren't bad, but they lack clarity as well. You have to get your tone a little on the harsh side to get good high-end through them. They're workable, but I don't recommend their cabs over any cab in the price range unless you need the ability to switch between open and closed back. The construction of the actual cab is solid enough, but the rubber feet come off very easily, and the rubber on the handle isn't very rugged.

That's just my experience.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
Robbgnarly

For $150 the Peavey cab will be just fine, nothing spectacular, but at $150 you cant beat the quality of construction. You may want to swap speakers later on, but that cab will do the job just fine. And with the $$ you save buying it you can also buy new speakers and still be under your budget.

You can score marshall 1960 cabs from Guitarcenter used section for $250 and up depending on how bad the tolex is.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
I do not recommend this. I have the JCA24S and I honestly am having some buyer's remorse over not having bought a Randall 2x12 with Celestion Rocket 50 speakers, just because I liked the visual aesthetics more, because, quite frankly, the stock Jet City speakers are absolutely terrible. They severely lack clarity, especially since they have almost no upper-mid response and because they're very bassy and lower-mid heavy. The highs aren't bad, but they lack clarity as well. You have to get your tone a little on the harsh side to get good high-end through them. They're workable, but I don't recommend their cabs over any cab in the price range unless you need the ability to switch between open and closed back. The construction of the actual cab is solid enough, but the rubber feet come off very easily, and the rubber on the handle isn't very rugged.

is the actual cab bad, or just the speakers? I have v12s here, so swapping speakers is no problem (and won't cost me anything), and having something that sorta matches my head would be nice, but if the actual cab sucks I have other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackened
Jet City JCA48S

i doubt they're "real" eminences.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
is the actual cab bad, or just the speakers? I have v12s here, so swapping speakers is no problem (and won't cost me anything), and having something that sorta matches my head would be nice, but if the actual cab sucks I have other options.

i doubt they're "real" eminences.

The cab is actually built well and very solid. My only complaints are the speakers, rubber feet, and the handle's rubber covering gets chewed up by the metal pieces that hold the handle to the top of the cab. It still functions, but I've only been gigging with it for like 10 months. The actual build construction is solid, the cloth is solid, and it has the option to be open or closed back. It is somewhat taller than most cabs, due to the blue section on it, but I don't know if the 4x12 version has that. As for the speakers being "real" Eminences, there's a little badge on the front that says "Eminence Loaded" or something similar. They're just Jet City's "Custom Eminence Drivers", so they are indeed made by Eminence, but they are not one of their speakers in any of their product lines.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

Quote:

Rocket 50's are just as bad as the Jet City's.... I have both cabs. G12K-100's in my Randall now though. I dunno, that's probably just me though, I never liked the sound of Rocket 50's.
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Reincaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
Van Noord
Deactivated

Those Peavey cabs can take a pounding. If you don't like the speakers, you can start experimenting with other ones down the road. A lot of players are happy with those cabs. There are far better cabs and far worse. You should dig it though.

MARSHALL 2203KK
VHT Pittbull Ultralead
MESA Single Recto
PEAVEY 6505
SOLDANO Avenger
PEAVEY JSX
MARSHALL JVM 210H
Van Noord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #12
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincaster
Rocket 50's are just as bad as the Jet City's.... I have both cabs. G12K-100's in my Randall now though. I dunno, that's probably just me though, I never liked the sound of Rocket 50's.

+1 you likely aren't missing anything with not having rocket 50's.

get a V30 and a K100 odds are you will be happier.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:04 AM   #13
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
+1 you likely aren't missing anything with not having rocket 50's.

get a V30 and a K100 odds are you will be happier.

That's my point, though. The speakers aren't any better than any other shitty speaker, and the Randall cab was in the same price range, but isn't ugly as shit like the Jet City cab, as it's plain black and would match my Vengeance, plus it has the metal grill that I wanted and that I plan on replacing the baffle on my Vengeance with. It had the visual appearance that I wanted, with speakers that are on par with the JCA's speakers.

I guess my point is, if you like another cab in the price range more than the Jet City, get it. There's nothing special about the Jet City cabs that would make me want to buy another one, unless I needed the closed/open back conversion. (which I don't)
Old 10-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #14
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
The cab is actually built well and very solid. My only complaints are the speakers, rubber feet, and the handle's rubber covering gets chewed up by the metal pieces that hold the handle to the top of the cab. It still functions, but I've only been gigging with it for like 10 months. The actual build construction is solid, the cloth is solid, and it has the option to be open or closed back. It is somewhat taller than most cabs, due to the blue section on it, but I don't know if the 4x12 version has that. As for the speakers being "real" Eminences, there's a little badge on the front that says "Eminence Loaded" or something similar. They're just Jet City's "Custom Eminence Drivers", so they are indeed made by Eminence, but they are not one of their speakers in any of their product lines.

are they actually made by eminence or designed by them, though? I'd suspect the latter (though could easily be wrong). I know my valve junior's "eminence" only says "designed by eminence".

thanks for the information, by the way, it helps a lot.

It has a removable back, does it? I thought only the fancier, ported one had the removable back? (or maybe that's the one you have)

er....

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #15
Heagachongoose

Dude
Quote:
Akron, Ohio, USA.

Rockin' it Ohio style! Hells yeah!

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, just bought a b-52 head and I'm looking for a cab. Ive done a lot of reading on this shit and it seems that the general consensus seems to be an avatar with celestions. But I check every Craigslist add in Ohio and I have yet to find one lol
Heagachongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #16
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
are they actually made by eminence or designed by them, though? I'd suspect the latter (though could easily be wrong). I know my valve junior's "eminence" only says "designed by eminence".

thanks for the information, by the way, it helps a lot.

It has a removable back, does it? I thought only the fancier, ported one had the removable back? (or maybe that's the one you have)

Well, I'll just do my best to clear it up with some pics. I guess now only the ported cab has the open/closed feature, but mine was made before that, but after the first run of cabs. Originally none of them had this, then the standard ones did, then they released the ported ones and only they have it now. Here are the pics I took:

This is the badge I was referring to on the front:

This is the back when closed. The blue section at the bottom is what comes off. Let me tell you, though, it is an absolute bitch to get off. I ruined two screwdriver bits and worked up a damn sweat. Then, to pry it off, I had to get a hammer and slip the little fabric loops at the bottom around the claws and pry. ****ing ridiculous. I am not a small guy by any means, I'm f***ing huge (we're talking 6' 3" and about 250lbs), and i was standing on the cab with a finger in each loop, using my legs AND back and couldn't pull the damn thing up. 10 screws total to get it off.

Here it is in open-back form:

A close-up of the back of one speaker:

Under the Eminence logo, it says: "Made in China Engineered in the USA"

I hope this helps sort it out. I'm curious about it as well.

Last edited by Blktiger0 : 10-15-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #17
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

That eminence badge comes with every eminence speaker when you buy one.
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Reincaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #18
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

thanks for the pics, very useful to have

the guys here advised i use a putty knife (to use to prise the back off) to get the back off my valve junior cabinet when i couldn't shift it- it worked very well, and has come in useful since. Might be worth getting one (mine was like 7 or something like that IIRC). EDIT: actually, this is what i use here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...ils_o06_s00_i00 I ordered some putty knives as well, but this one looked sturdier so i tried it first, and it worked, so I just kept using it.

yeah those don't look like "real" eminences- it says "made in china" on them. "real" eminences are made in the USA. I think my valve junior cab has "eminence inside" on the front of it, too (now it does have a "real" legend 1258 in it, though ).

er....

Quote:

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 10-16-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

No Problem

I tried something similar, but I couldn't pry it off. The tolex was just stuck together where it had been touching, plus the panel was just slightly big for the space it fit in, which I suppose was a good thing in terms of sound isolation and ruggedness. I'll probably pick one of those things up for future cab-openings, though

I didn't figure that they were. If so, it would turn me away from Eminence, considering I really dislike these speakers, at least for what I play and the amp I'm using. There's just an utter lack of upper-mids, which is unacceptable for Metal, especially of the Groove/Thrash vairety. They might not be bad for Death Metal or maybe even Sludge Metal or Stoner Metal, where the upper mids aren't the main frequency you want, but the clarity they lack is still annoying, not to mention the high end is a bit of a pain in the ass.

I'm also not sure how I feel about the extra airspace inside created by the blue section on the front of the cab. It's just empty space in the cab, and I don't know what that does to the sound or response. It does make it significanty taller than other cabs, though, but it's not quite as deep as a Mesa 2x12. Is there some kind of documentation anywhere about what cab dimensions do to the sound of the cab?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #20
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
No Problem

I tried something similar, but I couldn't pry it off. The tolex was just stuck together where it had been touching, plus the panel was just slightly big for the space it fit in, which I suppose was a good thing in terms of sound isolation and ruggedness. I'll probably pick one of those things up for future cab-openings, though

I didn't figure that they were. If so, it would turn me away from Eminence, considering I really dislike these speakers, at least for what I play and the amp I'm using. There's just an utter lack of upper-mids, which is unacceptable for Metal, especially of the Groove/Thrash vairety. They might not be bad for Death Metal or maybe even Sludge Metal or Stoner Metal, where the upper mids aren't the main frequency you want, but the clarity they lack is still annoying, not to mention the high end is a bit of a pain in the ass.

I'm also not sure how I feel about the extra airspace inside created by the blue section on the front of the cab. It's just empty space in the cab, and I don't know what that does to the sound or response. It does make it significanty taller than other cabs, though, but it's not quite as deep as a Mesa 2x12. Is there some kind of documentation anywhere about what cab dimensions do to the sound of the cab?

i am sure they engineered that cab to the optimal conditions for those speakers. its not that hard, there are freeware speaker parameter data, software for getting the specs your way.

different speakers require more/less volume or various ports and port lengths (my randall 2x12+1x15 cab all in one, has a port on the front for the 15").

they are shitty speakers. i had a 2112RC combo (actually the thrid, the other two died when fired it up but i bought new and sent them back) the speaker was terrible. if you want a cab with good speakers you pay for it. Rocket 50's suck too. equally if not more.

good speakers are not cheap.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT

Last edited by trashedlostfdup : 10-18-2012 at 12:26 AM.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: