Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
Dan477

Low E buzzing at certain notes

I have been having a weird buzzing problem lately with my low E string. My low E does not buzz when tuned down to Bb, but does when tuned up to C below low E note 82 Hz. Buzzes both open and frets at that note. I'm suspecting it's the bridge. I adjusted the way it's seated and it stops buzzing at C, but buzzes when tuned to another note. For some reason over tightening the string makes the buzzing go away. When I got the guitar it did not buzz at any note. I'm not having that problem with other strings. The guage for my low E is .054.

Last edited by Dan477 : 10-14-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Dan477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan477
I have been having a weird buzzing problem lately. My low E does not buzz when tuned to Bb, but does when tuned to C. Buzzes both open and frets at that note. I'm suspecting it's the bridge.

i suspect your guitar is not set up for such low notes. whenever i get a guitar, i decide how that guitar is going to be tuned and what gauge strings i want to use and then get someone to set the guitar up so it will sound right.

whenever you change gauge or tension after that, the guitar is no longer optimized for that setup. almost like if you change the tires on your car then other components on the car might not work as well (speedometer is off, you may start going through more CV boots, wheel wells might need modification, you'll have larger turning radius, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan477
I adjusted the way it's seated and it stops buzzing at C, but buzzes when tuned to another note. For some reason over tightening the string makes the buzzing go away.

over tightening at C? i don't quite understand.

as mentioned before, you guitar is a machine, you change specs on the machine and you'll get buzzing and bad intonation. you need to decide how you want to run that guitar (tuning and strings) and then get the guitar setup for that spec.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
TheGareth

Dan - depending on what string gauge you're using the tuning might be causing the strings to flop around. With some low tunings you will get some buzz, if the comes through the amp then it can be a problem.

If you want to keep your guitar tuned low then you might want to consider what string gauge you have and perhaps go for a heavier gauge designed for low tunings.
TheGareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Culler Amps
Matt Culler

Can you specify if it is string buzz or not?

I had a guitar once that the truss rod would rattle and buzz a bit at a certain note. Only did it at that particular frequency. Took me a while to actually figure out what is was that was buzzing.
Culler Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
ToneMasterDelux
UG's Question Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGareth
Dan - depending on what string gauge you're using the tuning might be causing the strings to flop around. With some low tunings you will get some buzz, if the comes through the amp then it can be a problem.

If you want to keep your guitar tuned low then you might want to consider what string gauge you have and perhaps go for a heavier gauge designed for low tunings.

This. If it doesn't come through the amp I personally wouldn't worry about it unless it effects playing.

You probably just have the action a bit too low or need to adjust the truss rod VERY slowly and incrementally if you are comfortable doing that. I'm guessing that the neck is curved like a u (not extremely) and when you over tighten it the string moves away from the frets (strings are actually pulled towards the pickups).

but again, I wouldn't make any adjustments unless you really think it changes anything or you don't like the way it plays. Just curious, what guitar do you have?
ToneMasterDelux is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: