Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
St John 999

Newbie - where to after the beginners book?

Hi,
I'm after some general guidance.
I'm newish to guitar. Played a little classical when I was at Uni many years ago.
Have recently bought a great LP copy Tanglewood.
Playing through Kustom 20w practice amp. Sounds great to me.
Now I'm at the stage that my left fingers are starting to harden on the tips. And I'm about half way through a beginners guitar book. Finding this easy and relaxing. Playing about an hour a day.
I want to be able to hang out with other muso's in a relaxed environment playing stuff. Over a few drinks, - tea or otherwise.
Now my questions 1 Since most people I will play with will be way better than me I don't want to waste their time if I turn up to play should I be concentrating on playing chords and strumming rythms etc. And what sort of standards to work on?

And to get into the effects / sounds side of things which appeals to me a lot - should I go for something like the Peavey Vyper (30W) or the Boss ME 70 through my 20w Kustom.

I have no intention of perfoming live in pubs etc but more hanging out with older muso's bashing out various songs from the 80's and 90's etc (or in my case currently destroying those songs) I'm not a gear head but realise that sometimes you do need some stuff to be able to reach a reasonable level.

So after I've worked through the beginners book what next - and what gear to move on to?

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks and cheers.
St John 999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:20 AM   #2
jetwash69

Guitar Pro 6.0 and download pro tabs from this site. Use the speed looper to slow things down and then build up speed gradually. Also use GP as a metronome.

Rocksmith.

In that order. They complement each other.

As for gear, consider a multieffects pedal like a Line 6 HD500 or a Fender Mustang Floor. I'd stay away from any of the simpler pedals; they're not worth it: less controls actually makes them harder, more complicated, and slower to use. Maybe a top-of-the line Digitech, VOX, or Boss MFX pedal.

Other useful stuff include Snark headstock tuners, the String Stretcha (Google it), Fender Gig Stands, and a special wrench to keep your jack tight (like this).

Last edited by jetwash69 : 11-06-2012 at 02:22 AM.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
St John 999

Thanks Jetwash69
That's great practical advice.
Cheers
St John
Old 11-06-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
KorYi
n00b

pretty much what jetwash69 said.

I'd just add that instead of guitar pro (which is like $60 i think) you can use free tuxguitar which has similar functions.

Also instead of a string stretcha (what happened to stretching strings with a hand?) i'd rather get a string winder, which can save a lot of time/effort while changing string on non-locking tuners
KorYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:16 AM   #5
St John 999

I'm looking forward (with some dread) when it comes time to change the strings so I should get organised and get a string winder.

I am amazed how good tuxguitar is for a free program. I ran it on a Linux machine a couple of days ago. I need to work out how to make it play only a small section (and slowly).

Thanks KorYi
Old 11-06-2012, 03:41 AM   #6
rickyvanh

You will have more fun when playing with other people if you prepare yourself first.The first time around,you may want to do more listening and observing than actual playing.That way you will know what to work on for the next time.Playing with other people can be daunting at first.Be patient and be persistent and you will be making music with your friends in no time.There is a book called 100 guitar tips you should have been told by David Mead.It has answers to all the things you mentioned and more.Good luck and have fun.
rickyvanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:48 AM   #7
St John 999

Thanks rickyvanh, the book looks like it will be great. Are the other David Mead books any good? Cheers, St John

Last edited by St John 999 : 11-06-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Question for previous post
Old 11-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
KorYi
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by St John 999
I'm looking forward (with some dread) when it comes time to change the strings so I should get organised and get a string winder.

I am amazed how good tuxguitar is for a free program. I ran it on a Linux machine a couple of days ago. I need to work out how to make it play only a small section (and slowly).

Thanks KorYi

you're welcome ^^

In the menu on the top go 'Player' => 'Play mode' and there 'Training mode' ^^ Or press F9. Well on windows anyway, haven't been in linux for a while, but it's probably the same.

Also http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=602241
the second post is really great guide on how to change strings
Old 11-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

I just wanna add that if you feel like you're wasting the other person's time, he's the wrong person to be playing with. You want to play with people who enjoy having you around in order for it to be fun.
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
jetwash69

The string changing guide is a great thing for you to internalize. If you use that locking method, then you don't need windings, but the strings still need to be stretched if you don't want to be tuning all the time until they stretch through your playing.

The String Stretcha is worth it if you can afford $20 or so. It stretches the strings more evenly than you can do by hand. And faster. And you're less likely to break strings. It's not essential for you because you just have one guitar and it has a fixed bridge. If you had a guitar with a tremolo (especially a double-locking trem), then it would be more important to stretch the strings fully before you play. In my case, I have 6 guitars with trems, 3 of them Floyd Roses (double lockers), and 1 accoustic with a fixed bridge. So the Stretcha paid for itself a long time ago in time savings and almost no broken strings while I'm stretching. Doing it by hand, I've been known to go through 3 B strings in one sitting.

If you're going to get Rocksmith soon, then Tux guitar is probably good enough for you. The disadvantage it has compared to Guitar Pro is that GP6 can simulate the tones of the various instruments with fairly high fidelity. I've had friends who weren't dedicated enough to spend the $45 on GP at Amazon and they gave up pretty quickly since Tux sounded so fake (FM Synthesis last time I checked).

But if you're using Rocksmith too, then those tones and the gaming aspects should help keep you addicted.

I'm not sure why people use Tux. IIRC, you can use the free version of GP6 which has all the GP6 functionality except that it doesn't have the "Real Sound Engine" so the tones are similar to TUX. I don't know, perhaps it has other limitations that drive people to Tux.

This thread is all about presenting you with options.

Last edited by jetwash69 : 11-07-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
St John 999

Thank you for the clarification Jetwash69. I like the idea of the string stretcher as less time spent retuning whilst playing is a good thing. Also the jack tight looks like a just right sort of tool for a tricky job.

Another pro rock guitarist I know suggested Rocksmith just gotta get my boys off the PS3 so I can have a go!!

I thought Tuxguitar was just to read tabs and show me which strings to fret. But can I use it (and even more so GP6) as a surrogate support band? You're right about the sounds being a bit weak. However I do not have a windows machine only some huge Mac thing my boys reign over. But just been to the download site and I notice there is even a Linux version of Guitar Pro 6.

You're right that if its not too much money then a bit of quality makes the whole learning time a pleasurable experience which after all this is a relaxing hobby for me not some Ninja toughness training program.

I will probably go for guitar pro when I finish off the beginners book. Which btw is the Guitar Bible (for beginners) by Turner Gellling and Duncan, 90 lessons in 5 sections covering all the basics of electric and acoustic guitar. At the rate I'm going I should have I done in the next 4 weeks and then will need to develop a practice structure to get to intermediate level. (Hence my original question)

Your right CarsonStevens about the people I will play with are friends first, but out of respect for them I want them to have fun too. Which they probably will as I will still be crashing my way up the guitar neck looking for backing chords, whilst they will have finished the song, opened and drunk another beer and be waiting for me to look up to see why its gone so quiet!!

Thank you to everyone who has contributed advice. It is appreciated and has given me a boost with my practising already.

Thank you.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #12
KorYi
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
I'm not sure why people use Tux. IIRC, you can use the free version of GP6 which has all the GP6 functionality except that it doesn't have the "Real Sound Engine" so the tones are similar to TUX. I don't know, perhaps it has other limitations that drive people to Tux.

It's bit of an OT, but I personally really dislike the UI of GP6, it drives me nuts. The main reason to recommend tuxguitar in my case is the price though. Not everyone wants to spend $60 (or w/e it costs) and I'm trying to present people with free alternative (not much of a piracy fan). Also, if you're not running ubuntu, you might have quite a hard time getting GP to work under linux ^^

Also the GP6 Trial isn't really that useful, since it doesn't allow you to open/save files (except for few provided pieces)

The 'real sound engine' is quite nice though, especially if you want to play along as well.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #13
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorYi
It's bit of an OT, but I personally really dislike the UI of GP6, it drives me nuts. The main reason to recommend tuxguitar in my case is the price though. Not everyone wants to spend $60 (or w/e it costs) and I'm trying to present people with free alternative (not much of a piracy fan). Also, if you're not running ubuntu, you might have quite a hard time getting GP to work under linux ^^

Also the GP6 Trial isn't really that useful, since it doesn't allow you to open/save files (except for few provided pieces)

The 'real sound engine' is quite nice though, especially if you want to play along as well.

OK. Fair enough. I didn't remember that the trial couldn't open files; I just knew you couldn't use RSE with it. I figured it probably couldn't save files.

I didn't like the UI for GP6 at first either, but once I got used to it I found it a lot more efficient than previous versions and have a hard time going back. The only time I go back to GP5 is to convert tracks from one instrument to another. That's the only functionality I still miss from GP5. GP6's RSE is light years ahead of the previous versions. I didn't take to Tux's UI, but then again I was already used to GP6 and it's all a matter of personal taste (which is influenced a lot by what you're used to). I'm not aware of any advantages on a Mac for GP6 over Windows or Linux.

I still think the $45 I spent for GP6 is the best money I've spent learning guitar and the $20 for the Stretcha is the best I've spent on a guitar tool. Rocksmith is taking me to the next level, but GP got me to where I could play, write, perform live, and record with a band. We even use it for scratch tracks to play along with when recording. I started with a book, but I've never had lessons.

Also Rocksmith is now (finally) available for PC, but only for Windows. So TS's kids and the PS3 might not need to be a factor.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:37 AM   #14
arthur_s

To play better/ faster and precise, consider to go through basics. Consider how you must sit, how to hold the pick, how gain better and faster. You must feel your instrument and be relaxed as possible because relaxed body will progress much faster. It's the technique how to play the instrument or guitar position. Before you start practice much harder consider learning how to work with the guitar!
Why is that? Because in one shine day your skills may stop and you'll be forced to start from basic steps. Human's body must be relaxed and prepared correctly to reach high results

Last edited by arthur_s : 11-19-2012 at 04:24 PM.
arthur_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #15
St John 999

Thanks Arthur s
I have been very conscious to keep more relaxed than I used to be 20 years ago.
You mention holding the pick
I cannot comfortably hold it along my middle phalanges. Instead I tend to hold it more as an extension of the terminal phalanges of my index finger, just seems more precise.
Also I because of my previous classical studies I have to hold the guitar on my left knee, and keep the neck up quite high. I look like some dude from the 60's !!

Last edited by St John 999 : 11-18-2012 at 07:39 AM. Reason: spulling
Old 11-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #16
St John 999

And to all who suggested Rocksmith - this is the most fun for messing about and practising techniques without too much of a care in the world.
Here's my post in another question on this.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...=1#post30620990
Old 11-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by St John 999
...Also I because of my previous classical studies I have to hold the guitar on my left knee, and keep the neck up quite high. I look like some dude from the 60's !!

Try playing standing. It might be a bitch at first, but hang in there and you'll get a hang of it. Also, don't have the strap so high that you're playing "turtleneck guitar"...your kids WILL laugh at you. The '50s are over, too.

See the other thread you refered to for more info on Rocksmith...
Old 11-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #18
St John 999

Cheers Jetwash69 -
I try playing standing up when doing Rocksmith
I must be a secret lead player - as I caught myself moving around with the music getting quite worked up!!
Comment re Rocksmith on other thread - but cheers for the detail there - really useful.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #19
St John 999

Got the David Mead 100 guitar tips... it is excellent. Very relaxed style up to date sensible and informative. Great suggestion thank you rickyvanh.

Rate This Thread: