Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
marmistrz

Some bands with difficult songs

Hi,

Could you suggest some bands that have difficult songs, such as Metallica or Guns N' Roses. Some songs are just too easy (e.g. P&V by Anthrax can be learned in 15-30mins) and many have no solo.

I'd mostly be interested in some hard rock/progressive metal. So death/black metal is for sure something I wouldn't play

And please don't suggest satanic/anti-christian bands

Thanks!

Last edited by marmistrz : 10-15-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Rush - anthem, spirit of the radio,
Dream Theater - under a glass moon, pull me under
Tourniquet (they even happen to be Christians. Most definitely excellent musicians) - tomb of gilgamesh, ark of suffering
Old 10-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Northernmight
UG's Churchburner

Satyricon - Du Som Hater Gud.

Just had to do that.

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

Why not try something new like Dinosaur Jr.?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
whywefight
I need loooooooo-

Dream Theater and BTBAM are torture playing, but are totally worth it.

I'm just going to recommend Tool, because they're ridiculously fun to play and you can always play them with a little bit more control than what you're currently playing them at.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor

Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Banjocal
be movin yo bricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmistrz
And please don't suggest satanic/anti-christian bands
Please grow up. That's an incredibly dense position to take.

Check out The Mars Volta, Protest The Hero, Six Gallery and Electro Quarterstaff.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
LightxGrenade

How about some Iron Maiden? The Trooper is always a fun one, so is Hallowed Be Thy Name.
If you like solos, I think the final solo on Mr. Crowley by Ozzy is unbelievable, one of my favorites for sure.
Pantera is always fun too, try learning Cowboys from Hell. Not necessarily hard but very groovy and it does have a solo so there you go.
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
Old 10-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
Ellerttoohey

Hey dude, check out my band. We're progressive/mathcore and we just released our full length this weekend.

Minutes & Miles | Lizard Lights (The ones that keep me up at night

Music: http://minutesandmiles.bandcamp.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/minutesmiles
Live:
Old 10-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
marmistrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjocal

I think it's kinda mature position: I think that satanic lyrics are destructive so I avoid them.

Thanks for your replies,

Tool seems to be nice, I'll look into it.
Any other ideas? Skid Row seems to be something nice for me , I forgot to tell about it in the OP
Old 10-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan

Anything by Racer X/Mr.Big for the most part

Quote:

Perhaps you should grow up and respect his personal taste in music. If that's his preference in music then who the hell are you tell say he is dense? Nobody, that's who. That was a pretty arrogant/douchebag thing to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness

Last edited by TheUltimateSin : 10-16-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
Banjocal
be movin yo bricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateSin
Anything by Racer X/Mr.Big for the most part

Perhaps you should grow up and respect his personal taste in music. If that's his preference in music then who the hell are you tell say he is dense? Nobody, that's who. That was a pretty arrogant/douchebag thing to say.
Because refusing to listen to an artist or even a genre of music because of the culture or the artists' beliefs is totally illogical and ignorant. It's not taste in music; it's writing off music without even hearing it. It's kind of like those idiots who say that they hate Fifty Shades Of Grey because they read in the news that it was sexist, without even reading it first. Much of music is about the artist attempting to enunciate and portray their emotions and beliefs to the listener. Disagreeing with a violently portrayed belief is fine, but covering your ears and then generalising it to all music made by those with that belief is ignorant, and OP's post implied that pretty strongly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmistrz
I think it's kinda mature position: I think that satanic lyrics are destructive so I avoid them.
You do know that satanism isn't all about sacrificing puppies and destroying things, right? I don't subscribe to the belief (or indeed any belief), but at least read up on it before dismissing it all as Christian hating putridity.

Last edited by Banjocal : 10-16-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan

Irregardless that's his choice and you are nobody to call him dense. Yes some of the bands with lyrics like that happen to have some pretty good music to stand on, but if you don't agree with them then there is little chance you are going to be able to enjoy the music, let alone wish to try playing it. I personally don't agree with marmistrz's choice either, but I'm not going to insult him for it.

Quote:
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Old 10-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #14
Banjocal
be movin yo bricks

Quote:
Irregardless that's his choice and you are nobody to call him dense. Yes some of the bands with lyrics like that happen to have some pretty good music to stand on, but if you don't agree with them then there is little chance you are going to be able to enjoy the music, let alone wish to try playing it. I personally don't agree with marmistrz's choice either, but I'm not going to insult him for it.
But with much black metal the lyrics are often difficult to understand. It's writing off music without even hearing it. It's kind of like those idiots who say that they hate Fifty Shades Of Grey because they read in the news that it was sexist, without even reading it first. Much of music is about the artist attempting to enunciate and portray their emotions and beliefs to the listener. Disagreeing with a violently portrayed belief is fine, but covering your ears and then generalising it to all music made by those with that belief is ignorant, and OP's post implied that pretty strongly. I disagree with Varg's beliefs, but that doesn't stop me listening to Burzum.

And everyone is free to call anyone whatever they wish. I consider him to be ignorant/dense for refusing to listen to music without hearing it, and thus I referred to him as such.

Last edited by Banjocal : 10-16-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan

Quote:
But with much black metal the lyrics are often difficult to understand. It's writing off music without even hearing it. It's kind of like those idiots who say that they hate Fifty Shades Of Grey because they read in the news that it was sexist, without even reading it first. Much of music is about the artist attempting to enunciate and portray their emotions and beliefs to the listener. Disagreeing with a violently portrayed belief is fine, but covering your ears and then generalising it to all music made by those with that belief is ignorant, and OP's post implied that pretty strongly. I disagree with Varg's beliefs, but that doesn't stop me listening to Burzum.

And everyone is free to call anyone whatever they wish. I consider him to be ignorant/dense for refusing to listen to music without hearing it, and thus I referred to him as such.

From what I picked up from the OP, it was the ones directly related satanism/anti-Christian that he didn't want suggestions for in the first place; which is fine if that's what he wants. Not all metal bands are about satanism and/or openly encourage it so it's not really that big of deal. Yes, I think it cuts down on the available groups, but doesn't eliminate them completely. The problem is, I think, that maybe he didn't know that and you go and attack him for being ignorant right away instead of giving examples as to why he should reconsider or examples of bands that might better suit what he is looking for. The biggest problem on this forum is that rather than help correct somebody's misguided thought process, people want to jump all over the chance to slander/insult the person.

Quote:
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Old 10-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #16
Banjocal
be movin yo bricks

Quote:
The problem is, I think, that maybe he didn't know that and you go and attack him for being ignorant right away instead of giving examples as to why he should reconsider or examples of bands that might better suit what he is looking for. The biggest problem on this forum is that rather than help correct somebody's misguided thought process, people want to jump all over the chance to slander/insult the person.
Then the people who are ignorant should probably think a little harder about things before they post.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #17
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan

Quote:
Then the people who are ignorant should probably think a little harder about things before they post.

If they aren't aware of any mistake in the first place then this is a preposterous statement to make

Quote:
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Old 10-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #18
Banjocal
be movin yo bricks

Quote:
If they aren't aware of any mistake in the first place then this is a preposterous statement to make
And that is why I read up on information, look for statistics, and look for IRL experience before I open my mouth.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #19
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan

Quote:
And that is why I read up on information, look for statistics, and look for IRL experience before I open my mouth.

And again, if you don't know that you're misguided, then you wouldn't see the need to look further into it. It's a simple mistake that doesn't really warrant any animosity.

Quote:
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Old 10-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #20
Banjocal
be movin yo bricks

Quote:
And again, if you don't know that you're misguided, then you wouldn't see the need to look further into it. It's a simple mistake that doesn't really warrant any animosity.
If you don't know, then the least you can do is look for evidence for your opinion before speaking it. Bring evidence to an otherwise unsupported opinion.

Rate This Thread: