Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-25-2012, 03:09 AM   #61
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappp
guys, thanks for paying attention to our new initiative!
regarding shipping - it's free.
regarding where the service is available - right now it's US only. We can't handle distribution across the globe as shipping costs way too much. Ofcourse this may change if we see enough interest.

the idea behind this is to save money for fellow musicians - we always try to beat any price available online for the same gear, sometimes by $100-$150 which is IMO not a bad thing.

sorry to hear about your experience re Tab Pro - this is gonna change. We see a lot of interest in the product but I understand that there are not enough attention to customers which is gonna be fixed soon.

Anyway, keep your questions coming. I'd love to learn how we can make you guys to believe it's good and we are serious re Deal of the Day thing, be it support, more information or something else.

Just going to throw this out there. Ever since the introduction of Tab Pro it seems like I see more and more regular ASCII tabs disappearing or showing a "content unavailable due to copyright issues" and/or tabs that require software. Is this one of the reasons that Tab Pro was made?

EDIT: Also, thanks for making such an awesome website and community

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5

Last edited by cdr_salamander : 10-25-2012 at 03:13 AM.
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:15 AM   #62
zappp
+ UG Master +

Actually no, these things are not related to each other. Since we license all the tablatures and pay royalties (despite what community thinks ) copyright holders decide to block certain tablatures from time to time to one or several countries. We can not get around that or ignore such requests by music publishers if we want to keep the site alive. As sad as that.

EDIT: thanks man!
zappp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:22 AM   #63
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

A lot of people think you're just greedy.

Those people are selfish idiots.

Thank you, for everything you and the rest of the people behind UG have done.
darkwolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #64
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Nice to hear the backstory Zapp. Prices aren't bad at all and do undercut others by 100 or so.

I guess for some of us already full of gear the purchases would be impulse buys. It has to be thy right piece of gear. 100 off isn't bad on more expensive gear however it just isn't too good of a deal to pass up on the gear that we may want, just not need. I will be checking the emails everyday. Great idea. Hopefully it takes off and is a success.

Today they have a precision fender bass and a zoom h4n.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #65
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwolf291
A lot of people think you're just greedy.

Those people are selfish idiots.

Thank you, for everything you and the rest of the people behind UG have done.

x2.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #66
zappp
+ UG Master +

thanks for the feedback. let me know if there is anything else I can help with!
Old 10-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #67
zl1288

Quote:
thanks for the feedback. let me know if there is anything else I can help with!

Thanks for answering my question about shipping! Any plans to sell B-stock/blemished gear? I understand this may be a challenge logistically, but it may trigger a lot more impulse buys.

Also, I noticed that the discount percentages are based on MSRP. I understand the advertising concepts behind this, but it is personally a turn off when I see the actual discount percentage are much lower. I don't know if UG has considered this, but maybe showing the total dollar value of the discount (based on actual selling price) would be more effective.

Other than that, I think this is a great idea. Love deal of the day type websites, and it's great to see one focused on guitar gear. I'm impressed with the gear that has been sold so far. I was expecting low end gear, but have been pleasently surprised to see some nice midrange stuff. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a POD HD!
zl1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #68
zappp
+ UG Master +

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1288
Thanks for answering my question about shipping! Any plans to sell B-stock/blemished gear? I understand this may be a challenge logistically, but it may trigger a lot more impulse buys.

Also, I noticed that the discount percentages are based on MSRP. I understand the advertising concepts behind this, but it is personally a turn off when I see the actual discount percentage are much lower. I don't know if UG has considered this, but maybe showing the total dollar value of the discount (based on actual selling price) would be more effective.

Other than that, I think this is a great idea. Love deal of the day type websites, and it's great to see one focused on guitar gear. I'm impressed with the gear that has been sold so far. I was expecting low end gear, but have been pleasently surprised to see some nice midrange stuff. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a POD HD!

we will add total dollar value of the discount this week, good suggestion! I'll check re POD HD as well
Old 10-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #69
technocraft

Quote:

What else is there besides MSRP to compare to? The actual selling price is different across so many vendors... How would you a show a total dollar discount without a price (like MSRP) to discount from?

I don't look at the MSRP anyway, just the actual selling price - and they've been looking pretty damn good.
technocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #70
zl1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by technocraft
What else is there besides MSRP to compare to? The actual selling price is different across so many vendors... How would you a show a total dollar discount without a price (like MSRP) to discount from?

I don't look at the MSRP anyway, just the actual selling price - and they've been looking pretty damn good.

Actual selling prices regarding guitar gear are pretty consistent across the board. I would just look at major vendors, such as musicians friend/sam ash/GC, and calculate the tatal dollar discount based on their selling prices. For instance, the Orange TT15 from the other day is sold for 599 at pretty much every other major retailer, which would equate to a $100 discount.

Quote:
we will add total dollar value of the discount this week, good suggestion! I'll check re POD HD as well

Last edited by zl1288 : 10-25-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #71
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Actual selling prices regarding guitar gear are pretty consistent across the board. I would just look at major vendors, such as musicians friend/sam ash/GC, and calculate the tatal dollar discount based on their selling prices. For instance, the Orange TT15 from the other day is sold for 599 at pretty much every other major retailer, which would equate to a $100 discount.

Sure, it could be done, but I'm not sure the extra effort to 'gather' the street prices for each item are worth it, since anybody that's actually interested will do it for themselves anyway.

You know that if (when) a Pod HD comes up, you're on the hook for it, right?

I think they need to revisit the 'About Ultimate Guitar Store' page and make it a FAQ style page that clarifies shipping, markets etc. so there's not as much confusion as there seems to be. Clarity sells product.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #72
technocraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Sure, it could be done, but I'm not sure the extra effort to 'gather' the street prices for each item are worth it, since anybody that's actually interested will do it for themselves anyway.

I would agree with this - hunting for current street prices just so they can display a lower percentage discount doesn't seem worth it...

Quote:
I think they need to revisit the 'About Ultimate Guitar Store' page and make it a FAQ style page that clarifies shipping, markets etc. so there's not as much confusion as there seems to be. Clarity sells product.

That looks to be on the Customer Service page linked at the top (and bottom).
technocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #73
zl1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911

You know that if (when) a Pod HD comes up, you're on the hook for it, right?

Yea, I get that potential buyers will do the research themselves. I just personally find it refreshing when the "actual" discounts are the same as the marketed discounts, and I'm sure there are others that feel the same way. I certainly appreciate the fact that someone will have to make the extra effort to gather the street prices, so I guess it's up to them to decide whether it's worth it.

And if the POD is priced right, I don't mind being on the hook for it!
Old 10-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #74
MaaZeus

Quote:
guys, thanks for paying attention to our new initiative!
regarding shipping - it's free.
regarding where the service is available - right now it's US only. We can't handle distribution across the globe as shipping costs way too much. Ofcourse this may change if we see enough interest.

the idea behind this is to save money for fellow musicians - we always try to beat any price available online for the same gear, sometimes by $100-$150 which is IMO not a bad thing.

So... why not charge for international shipping like every other company that sells internationally, even those who have free shipping in continental USA.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 10-25-2012 at 12:17 PM.
MaaZeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #75
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Yea, I get that potential buyers will do the research themselves. I just personally find it refreshing when the "actual" discounts are the same as the marketed discounts, and I'm sure there are others that feel the same way. I certainly appreciate the fact that someone will have to make the extra effort to gather the street prices, so I guess it's up to them to decide whether it's worth it.

OK, but what if they use MF's retail price and you see it's a bit cheaper at another, more obscure site? Now you've got people whining that they are misleading customers by choosing a retail price that suits them... It's just not worthwhile for them.

You do realize the entire retail world works off of MSRPs right? It's an odd system, I'll give you that... But it's the system that is currently accepted by retailers in every industry... Why should UG be different?

Nobody ever said retailers were required to hand you the info on a silver platter. Consumers who fail to do their proper research have only themselves to blame... And frankly it's those underinformed consumers paying stupid prices that make it possible for the rest of us to get good deals.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: