Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
sethp

2 buckers (w/ splits), 2 vols. 1 tone... with a twist. Want Series/Parallel as well

I've been searching all over for a diagram for this set up, but i just cant find the right one. and i'm not even sure the 2 volume controls will function properly when in series mode.

i've got 2 humbucker pickups, with 2 volumes (both push/pull to split the pickups), 1 tone (push/pull if necessary for the series/parallel* function), and either a 3-way strat, or a 4-way tele switch (for the series/parallel function, like a telecaster)

* just to clarify, i want the 2 pickups to switch between series/parallel with each other. i don't care about the 2 coils in each humbucker pickup to switch between series/parallel

what i would like to do with the 3-way strat switch**:
1. bridge humbucker (series/split with volume push/pull)
2. bridge/neck (series/parallel with tone push/pull)
3. neck humbucer (series/split with volume push/pull)

or

what i would like to do with the 4-way tele switch:
1. bridge humbucker (series/split with volume push/pull)
2. bridge/neck (parallel)
3. neck humbucer (series/split with volume push/pull)
4. bridge/neck (series)

** if there's a diagram with a gibson style switch, that doesn't matter, i have a conversion diagram

so far these are the closest i've seen, but they are either 1 volume / 1 tone:

http://duhvoodooman.com/musical/hum...-1T_cc+mega.gif

http://www.seymourduncan.com/suppor...tic=tele_2h_4ws

or its the Jimmy Page wiring, and i don't have a switch for phase (nor do i care for it), and i don't know how to adapt the diagram to eliminate the phase switch:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/suppor...ematic=jp_style
sethp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Both of those configurations are possible in a sense, it just depends on exactly what you want. For instance, in the middle position for the 3-way switch and the first position for the 4-way switch, do you want the humbuckers to be split and then run in series, as in 1 coil from the bridge in series with 1 coil from the neck? Or do you want both humbuckers in series?

Also, your push/pull coil coil splits will likely affect the those positions as well. I'm not sure exactly how without drawing up a diagram, but I'm certain they will have some affect.

And you should consider a 4-pole 5-way superswitch. They are about $15 on ebay or from dragonfire guitars, and it is a very elegant solution.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
sethp

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Both of those configurations are possible in a sense, it just depends on exactly what you want. For instance, in the middle position for the 3-way switch and the first position for the 4-way switch, do you want the humbuckers to be split and then run in series, as in 1 coil from the bridge in series with 1 coil from the neck? Or do you want both humbuckers in series?

If i'm using a 3-way then in the middle position i would like to have the tone push pull operate the series/parallel function. and here i mean how the 2 pickups operate with each other. i not talking about the bridge pickup being series/parallel, and the neck pickup being series/parallel.

Quote:
Also, your push/pull coil coil splits will likely affect the those positions as well. I'm not sure exactly how without drawing up a diagram, but I'm certain they will have some affect.

yes, i want the coil split function to be independently controlled by each pickup's respective volume push/pull

Quote:
And you should consider a 4-pole 5-way superswitch. They are about $15 on ebay or from dragonfire guitars, and it is a very elegant solution.

i don't see how a 5-way switch would operate the way i'd like to have the electronics to function. if its possible, i'd like to stick with either the 3-way strat, or the 4-way tele

thanks for your reply
Old 10-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethp
If i'm using a 3-way then in the middle position i would like to have the tone push pull operate the series/parallel function. and here i mean how the 2 pickups operate with each other. i not talking about the bridge pickup being series/parallel, and the neck pickup being series/parallel.

Yes, I know. I'm saying, do you want both pickups to be coil split when in series, or not? For example, running the outer coil of the bridge in series with the inner coil of the neck would create another regular humbucker(in a sense). However, running both humbuckers in series would create a 4 coil humbucker. Switching to a 4 coil humbucker might produce a noticeable volume increase, which is generally not desirable. Does that make more sense?
Quote:
yes, i want the coil split function to be independently controlled by each pickup's respective volume push/pull

I understand that. I'm saying that your coil split push/pull pots will affect the functionality of the middle position in ways that you might not like. Just something to consider.
Quote:
i don't see how a 5-way switch would operate the way i'd like to have the electronics to function. if its possible, i'd like to stick with either the 3-way strat, or the 4-way tele

I didn't say a 5-way switch, I said a 5-way 4-POLE SUPERSWITCH, which would give you far more options than a normal switch. If you don't want to consider an alternative to push/pull pots, that's fine, just know that there are some and that is one of them.

Personally, I always try to find the most elegant configuration I can get away with. There are many different options out there for wiring a guitar, and some of them just make more sense.

Last edited by W4RP1G : 10-16-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
sethp

Quote:
Yes, I know. I'm saying, do you want both pickups to be coil split when in series, or not? For example, running the outer coil of the bridge in series with the inner coil of the neck would create another regular humbucker(in a sense). However, running both humbuckers in series would create a 4 coil humbucker. Switching to a 4 coil humbucker might produce a noticeable volume increase, which is generally not desirable. Does that make more sense?

I understand that. I'm saying that your coil split push/pull pots will affect the functionality of the middle position in ways that you might not like. Just something to consider.

I didn't say a 5-way switch, I said a 5-way 4-POLE SUPERSWITCH, which would give you far more options than a normal switch. If you don't want to consider an alternative to push/pull pots, that's fine, just know that there are some and that is one of them.

Personally, I always try to find the most elegant configuration I can get away with. There are many different options out there for wiring a guitar, and some of them just make more sense.

I see now. yes, i would like to have the option of having the inner-neck, and the outer bridge, AND having the "4-coil humbucker" when in the middle position (or second position on the tele switch)

i cant imagine how i would implement the 5-way super switch, with all of the options that i want to have. so probably no go with this one
Old 10-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
I see now. yes, i would like to have the option of having the inner-neck, and the outer bridge, AND having the "4-coil humbucker" when in the middle position (or second position on the tele switch)

Wow, that's one I gotta think about.

So, just to be clear, you want these options:

*Neck humbucker with p/p coil split
*Neck+Bridge in parallel
*Neck+Bridge in series
*Neck+Bridge inner/outer coil in series
*Bridge humbucker with p/p coil split

Correct?

Would you be willing to combine the neck coil split and bridge coil split to 1 push/pull pot?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
sethp

Quote:
Wow, that's one I gotta think about.

So, just to be clear, you want these options:

*Neck+Bridge in parallel
*Neck+Bridge in series
*Neck+Bridge inner/outer coil in series

Correct?

Would you be willing to combine the neck coil split and bridge coil split to 1 push/pull pot?

essentially, yes
however, i imagine that when the 3-way switch is in the center, with both pickups selected, then the 2 volume push/pulls will still operate the same way that they do when just either the neck or the bridge pickups are selected. and the tone push/pull would operate the series/parallel functioning, when in the middle position.
so i could also have Neck+Bridge inner/outer coils in parallel as well as series
or with this same set up, i could have full bridge humbucker, and split neck, either in series or parallel
or have the full neck humbucker, and split neck, in either series or parallel

*Neck+Bridge in parallel
*Neck+Bridge in series
*Neck+Bridge inner/outer coil in series or parallel
*Neck+Bridge inner/full - in series or parallel
*Neck+Bridge full/outer - in series or parallel

or substitue the 3-way, and the tone push/pull for the 4-way tele switch to do the series/parallel function

i think this is basically the Jimmy Page wiring, except with only 1 tone pot, and no phase switch

are you planning to do a diagram for this?!?!

Last edited by sethp : 10-16-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
are you planning to do a diagram for this?!?!

Yeah, but now I'm confused as hell from all of those options you put out there

Tell you what...you decide which switch you want to use and decide what configuration you want, and I will do my best.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
sethp

Quote:
Yeah, but now I'm confused as hell from all of those options you put out there

Tell you what...you decide which switch you want to use and decide what configuration you want, and I will do my best.

i think what i'm thinking of is just the jimmy page wiring with out the phase switch

http://www.seymourduncan.com/suppor...ematic=jp_style

so there's not JUST the inner/outer coils in series, because the series/parallel push-pull can switch between the two
and there's not JUST the inner/outer coils, because the two splitting push-pulls can either activate the full humbucker, or the split coil.
so i'd have those other combinations that i highlighted in red

so i think all i need is to figure out how to remove the phase switch in the above diagram. but i don't know how to do that

by the way, if you're going to do a diagram you are one hell of a kick ass guy (assuming you are a guy)

Rate This Thread: