Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #21
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ yes

try sliding that off the top for now and see what happens.

or - hit one of those notes and then put pressure on the retainer/and or tube and see what happens.

(tube will be hot obviously so get an oven mit or glove etc)
Old 10-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #22
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Does it have built in reverb? If so disconnect it and see. (it's worth a shot, but as he stated it did with fx loop it's very unlikely to be from reverb)

TS have opened your amp up yet?

Have you wiggled the speaker cable?

It sounds like a connection issue with a power tube socket due to concern still present with guitar into FX loop. Could also be fried internal/poor solder connection.

Everyone has posted great suggestions. Obviously do the easiest first then move on to the next step.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #23
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

If you don't have contact cleaner you can clean the sockets after a fashion without it. Pull out the tube, clean any crap off the pins. Then stick it in and out of the socket about 3 times. Look at the pins on the tube - are they clean? If so, stick it in and make sure it's seated properly. If not, repeat.

But buy some contact cleaner, it isn't expensive. It will clean everything far, far better. You do what I described above but you spray the contact cleaner onto the pins between cleaning the pins and working it in and out of the socket.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #24
George Juggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Does it have built in reverb? If so disconnect it and see. (it's worth a shot, but as he stated it did with fx loop it's very unlikely to be from reverb)

TS have opened your amp up yet?

Have you wiggled the speaker cable?

It sounds like a connection issue with a power tube socket due to concern still present with guitar into FX loop. Could also be fried internal/poor solder connection.

Everyone has posted great suggestions. Obviously do the easiest first then move on to the next step.

It does have built in reverb, so I will try that.
No, I have not opened up my amp yet.
I will try to wiggle the speaker cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
If you don't have contact cleaner you can clean the sockets after a fashion without it. Pull out the tube, clean any crap off the pins. Then stick it in and out of the socket about 3 times. Look at the pins on the tube - are they clean? If so, stick it in and make sure it's seated properly. If not, repeat.

But buy some contact cleaner, it isn't expensive. It will clean everything far, far better. You do what I described above but you spray the contact cleaner onto the pins between cleaning the pins and working it in and out of the socket.

Thanks, I won't be able to get contact cleaner right away, but I will clean the tube pins.
EHX Big Muff USA
BOSS DD3
Joyo Power-Supply 2
George Juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #25
George Juggles

I cleaned off the tubes, power and pre amp, and it didn't do anything. I'm probably just going to replace all the preamp tubes, since it is them that seems to be the problem
EHX Big Muff USA
BOSS DD3
Joyo Power-Supply 2
George Juggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: