Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
katalyzt13

Best All Purpose Tube Amp

I'm in the market to replace my various amps for 1 tube amp (15 - 50 watts) to cover everything from clean to thrash metal/doom metal. I play 6 string in standard or D standard, occasionally drop C. I play everything from outlaw country to blues, to metal. I am trying to get rid of all the gear cluttering my den, so I'm trying to get myself down to 1 amplifier. My budget is 1k USD or less, and I live in the southeast U.S., closest large city being Atlanta, GA. I will be using the amp for recording, jamming and very occassionally small gigs. I'm currently thinking my best fit will be a Carvin V3M combo. Does anyone else have any thoughts or suggestions?
katalyzt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Carvin v3 would be good, a used mark iv would do you as well I think. Just scope the used market and try out a bunch of amps. With a budget of 1k the world is your oyster on the used market.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I forgot you could get Marks for $1K. Big +1 to that.

The V3M seriously disappointed me when I played it. I wouldn't recommend it. Really not versatile at all.

Ideally I'd recommend a used Road King. Very few amps are truly versatile. Most of the time you're going to get a good sound for one thing, and then kind of half ass everything else.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
shredftw
Recto's and Headcrabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92

The V3M seriously disappointed me when I played it. I wouldn't recommend it. Really not versatile at all.

Ideally I'd recommend a used Road King. Very few amps are truly versatile. Most of the time you're going to get a good sound for one thing, and then kind of half ass everything else.

+1 on the V3M, everyone raved about it and was just like meh when i played it

it could do a few things well, but not as much as other amps in the same price range. A Mesa Mark 4 is a WAY better option in terms of versatility and just overall awesome IMO. You're not going to get a Roadking for $1K, $1500 maybe but even that is pushing it a fair bit. Like Offworld said you won't ever really get true ultimate versatility with a valve amp, there will always be something that it won't be able to handle as well as another amp that is tailored specifically for that one sound. The Roadking is one of those "it does everything" amps but it is out of your price range.

If you want true ultimate versatility get an AxeFx Ultra and a valve poweramp, thats the most versatile you can get for around the $1k mark, will probably put you back $1300 with a decent poweramp. Its more than the $1k but if versatility is the name of the game here then thats you're best option
ESP
Mesa Boogie
Fractal Audio Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
shredftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

what amps do you already have? As Offworld92 says, a lot of times the versatile amps are jack of all trades, master of none type of amps (even the really expensive ones), so if you have 3 or 4 killer amps already, you might be disappointed. Of course, it depends on what you want. if you want one amp that'll get you through a cover band gig and you're definitely not going to carry 5 amps with you, that might be a compromise worth making.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

Egnater
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
katalyzt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
Carvin v3 would be good, a used mark iv would do you as well I think. Just scope the used market and try out a bunch of amps. With a budget of 1k the world is your oyster on the used market.

I just checked a few sites and eBay and couldn’t find a used Mark IV for under 1200 or so. My budget tops out at 1k firm, so I can’t do the Mark IV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92

I got the chance to play with a V3M head on an Orange cab a few months ago, and I had to spend some time with it, but I personally got a pretty wide range of tones – I did have to put in a little time turning knobs, though. I guess it is a matter of personal taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
what amps do you already have? As Offworld92 says, a lot of times the versatile amps are jack of all trades, master of none type of amps (even the really expensive ones), so if you have 3 or 4 killer amps already, you might be disappointed. Of course, it depends on what you want. if you want one amp that'll get you through a cover band gig and you're definitely not going to carry 5 amps with you, that might be a compromise worth making.

I don't have any super amazing amps or anything now - been using an Orange Jim Root Terror for my distorted stuff, and a Blackheart Little Giant head with mods for cleans and blues type crunch. I also have a Peavey Transtube 212 EFX that I use occasionally. A small Orange Crush that is like a beat around amp. I also use a Vox Tonelab ST sometimes. My situation has become one where the room I am taking up has become on issue. I've got to get down to 1 amp. I also have to get rid of a bunch of guitars, I'm only keeping my Carvin DC145M.

Also, I really need to go with a NEW amp because I really want that warranty if at all possible. Of course, if I just ran across an awesome deal on a used amp that met my criteria I would probably still buy it.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1978
Egnater

the ULTIMATE jack of all trades, master of none amplifier.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalyzt13
I don't have any super amazing amps or anything now - been using an Orange Jim Root Terror for my distorted stuff, and a Blackheart Little Giant head with mods for cleans and blues type crunch. I also have a Peavey Transtube 212 EFX that I use occasionally. A small Orange Crush that is like a beat around amp. I also use a Vox Tonelab ST sometimes. My situation has become one where the room I am taking up has become on issue. I've got to get down to 1 amp. I also have to get rid of a bunch of guitars, I'm only keeping my Carvin DC145M.

Also, I really need to go with a NEW amp because I really want that warranty if at all possible. Of course, if I just ran across an awesome deal on a used amp that met my criteria I would probably still buy it.

ah ok, that's fair enough. do you have a budget? EDIT: ah right, $1k or less.

I'll have to think about that, I think.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
katalyzt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
the ULTIMATE jack of all trades, master of none amplifier.

I played with an Egnater Tweaker a good while back and I wasn't really feelin' it.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
I played with an Egnater Tweaker a good while back and I wasn't really feelin' it.

Tweaker 88
Old 10-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
shredftw
Recto's and Headcrabs

Quote:
I just checked a few sites and eBay and couldn’t find a used Mark IV for under 1200 or so. My budget tops out at 1k firm, so I can’t do the Mark IV.

wait a while and one will pop up, i've seen them on ebay all the time for under the $1k mark.

You can easily get a Mark 3 for the same price too http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Mesa-B...=item1e734969f6
ESP
Mesa Boogie
Fractal Audio Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
shredftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #14
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

the 15watt tweaker isn't all that great.
the 40 and 88 are.
But they still lack something that's hard to put your finger on. at least stock.

mark iiis are amazing but they go for that price ($900) often, in better condition. it may be worth the wait to maybe find a cheap one on GC or something else, saves some money.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #15
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

what kind of metal?

does your budget include selling some amps or no?

PS: Great OP BTW
Old 10-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #16
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
what kind of metal?

does your budget include selling some amps or no?

PS: Great OP BTW

+311

Mark IVs are indeed available for $900 or less, just need a bit of patience.

Check out the Mesa TremOVerb, too. Head goes for around 700 and the 212 combo from 850 and up, depending on condition. I liked this better than the Roadster. The RoadKing II is the ultimate in versatility and can do a lot extremely well, IMO.

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #17
mmjohn
Call me John

Evh 5150iii 50w an amazing amp!!!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #18
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmjohn
Evh 5150iii 100w an amazing amp!!!

fixed and agreed

...and hey John
Old 10-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #19
mmjohn
Call me John

I've got the 50 watt and love it!! What's up 311??
Old 10-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #20
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

A Mark 3 or 4 fer shure. At the price they go for in the US you all should have one.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: