Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 10-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
katalyzt13
Registered User
 
katalyzt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Best All Purpose Tube Amp

I'm in the market to replace my various amps for 1 tube amp (15 - 50 watts) to cover everything from clean to thrash metal/doom metal. I play 6 string in standard or D standard, occasionally drop C. I play everything from outlaw country to blues, to metal. I am trying to get rid of all the gear cluttering my den, so I'm trying to get myself down to 1 amplifier. My budget is 1k USD or less, and I live in the southeast U.S., closest large city being Atlanta, GA. I will be using the amp for recording, jamming and very occassionally small gigs. I'm currently thinking my best fit will be a Carvin V3M combo. Does anyone else have any thoughts or suggestions?
katalyzt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Offworld92
One among the fence.
 
Offworld92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern California, USA
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
__________________
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
 
Kevin Saale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In a desert, next to a chair
Carvin v3 would be good, a used mark iv would do you as well I think. Just scope the used market and try out a bunch of amps. With a budget of 1k the world is your oyster on the used market.
__________________
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Offworld92
One among the fence.
 
Offworld92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern California, USA
I forgot you could get Marks for $1K. Big +1 to that.

The V3M seriously disappointed me when I played it. I wouldn't recommend it. Really not versatile at all.



Ideally I'd recommend a used Road King. Very few amps are truly versatile. Most of the time you're going to get a good sound for one thing, and then kind of half ass everything else.
__________________
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
shredftw
Recto's and Headcrabs
 
shredftw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
I forgot you could get Marks for $1K. Big +1 to that.

The V3M seriously disappointed me when I played it. I wouldn't recommend it. Really not versatile at all.

Ideally I'd recommend a used Road King. Very few amps are truly versatile. Most of the time you're going to get a good sound for one thing, and then kind of half ass everything else.


+1 on the V3M, everyone raved about it and was just like meh when i played it

it could do a few things well, but not as much as other amps in the same price range. A Mesa Mark 4 is a WAY better option in terms of versatility and just overall awesome IMO. You're not going to get a Roadking for $1K, $1500 maybe but even that is pushing it a fair bit. Like Offworld said you won't ever really get true ultimate versatility with a valve amp, there will always be something that it won't be able to handle as well as another amp that is tailored specifically for that one sound. The Roadking is one of those "it does everything" amps but it is out of your price range.

If you want true ultimate versatility get an AxeFx Ultra and a valve poweramp, thats the most versatile you can get for around the $1k mark, will probably put you back $1300 with a decent poweramp. Its more than the $1k but if versatility is the name of the game here then thats you're best option
__________________
Tom Anderson Guitarworks
Suhr Guitars
Ibanez
ESP
Mesa Boogie
Fractal Audio Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
shredftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
what amps do you already have? As Offworld92 says, a lot of times the versatile amps are jack of all trades, master of none type of amps (even the really expensive ones), so if you have 3 or 4 killer amps already, you might be disappointed. Of course, it depends on what you want. if you want one amp that'll get you through a cover band gig and you're definitely not going to carry 5 amps with you, that might be a compromise worth making.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist
 
lucky1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Egnater
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
katalyzt13
Registered User
 
katalyzt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
Carvin v3 would be good, a used mark iv would do you as well I think. Just scope the used market and try out a bunch of amps. With a budget of 1k the world is your oyster on the used market.

I just checked a few sites and eBay and couldn’t find a used Mark IV for under 1200 or so. My budget tops out at 1k firm, so I can’t do the Mark IV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
I forgot you could get Marks for $1K. Big +1 to that.
The V3M seriously disappointed me when I played it. I wouldn't recommend it. Really not versatile at all.
Ideally I'd recommend a used Road King. Very few amps are truly versatile. Most of the time you're going to get a good sound for one thing, and then kind of half ass everything else.

I got the chance to play with a V3M head on an Orange cab a few months ago, and I had to spend some time with it, but I personally got a pretty wide range of tones – I did have to put in a little time turning knobs, though. I guess it is a matter of personal taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
what amps do you already have? As Offworld92 says, a lot of times the versatile amps are jack of all trades, master of none type of amps (even the really expensive ones), so if you have 3 or 4 killer amps already, you might be disappointed. Of course, it depends on what you want. if you want one amp that'll get you through a cover band gig and you're definitely not going to carry 5 amps with you, that might be a compromise worth making.

I don't have any super amazing amps or anything now - been using an Orange Jim Root Terror for my distorted stuff, and a Blackheart Little Giant head with mods for cleans and blues type crunch. I also have a Peavey Transtube 212 EFX that I use occasionally. A small Orange Crush that is like a beat around amp. I also use a Vox Tonelab ST sometimes. My situation has become one where the room I am taking up has become on issue. I've got to get down to 1 amp. I also have to get rid of a bunch of guitars, I'm only keeping my Carvin DC145M.

Also, I really need to go with a NEW amp because I really want that warranty if at all possible. Of course, if I just ran across an awesome deal on a used amp that met my criteria I would probably still buy it.
katalyzt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
 
ihartfood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1978
Egnater

the ULTIMATE jack of all trades, master of none amplifier.
__________________
My Rig
Like Telecasters?
ihartfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalyzt13
I don't have any super amazing amps or anything now - been using an Orange Jim Root Terror for my distorted stuff, and a Blackheart Little Giant head with mods for cleans and blues type crunch. I also have a Peavey Transtube 212 EFX that I use occasionally. A small Orange Crush that is like a beat around amp. I also use a Vox Tonelab ST sometimes. My situation has become one where the room I am taking up has become on issue. I've got to get down to 1 amp. I also have to get rid of a bunch of guitars, I'm only keeping my Carvin DC145M.

Also, I really need to go with a NEW amp because I really want that warranty if at all possible. Of course, if I just ran across an awesome deal on a used amp that met my criteria I would probably still buy it.


ah ok, that's fair enough. do you have a budget? EDIT: ah right, $1k or less.

I'll have to think about that, I think.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
katalyzt13
Registered User
 
katalyzt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
the ULTIMATE jack of all trades, master of none amplifier.


I played with an Egnater Tweaker a good while back and I wasn't really feelin' it.
katalyzt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalyzt13
I played with an Egnater Tweaker a good while back and I wasn't really feelin' it.


Tweaker 88
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
shredftw
Recto's and Headcrabs
 
shredftw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalyzt13
I just checked a few sites and eBay and couldn’t find a used Mark IV for under 1200 or so. My budget tops out at 1k firm, so I can’t do the Mark IV.


wait a while and one will pop up, i've seen them on ebay all the time for under the $1k mark.

You can easily get a Mark 3 for the same price too http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Mesa-B...=item1e734969f6
__________________
Tom Anderson Guitarworks
Suhr Guitars
Ibanez
ESP
Mesa Boogie
Fractal Audio Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
shredftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #14
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
 
ihartfood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
the 15watt tweaker isn't all that great.
the 40 and 88 are.
But they still lack something that's hard to put your finger on. at least stock.

mark iiis are amazing but they go for that price ($900) often, in better condition. it may be worth the wait to maybe find a cheap one on GC or something else, saves some money.
__________________
My Rig
Like Telecasters?
ihartfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #15
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline
what kind of metal?

does your budget include selling some amps or no?



PS: Great OP BTW
__________________
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #16
Ippon
Amped
 
Ippon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
what kind of metal?

does your budget include selling some amps or no?

PS: Great OP BTW

+311

Mark IVs are indeed available for $900 or less, just need a bit of patience.

Check out the Mesa TremOVerb, too. Head goes for around 700 and the 212 combo from 850 and up, depending on condition. I liked this better than the Roadster. The RoadKing II is the ultimate in versatility and can do a lot extremely well, IMO.

__________________
WTLT GG&A 2008 WTLT EG 2006 WTLT GB&C 2009

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #17
mmjohn
Call me John
 
mmjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Evh 5150iii 50w an amazing amp!!!
__________________
___________________________
Playing on some new gear....review to follow
mmjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #18
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmjohn
Evh 5150iii 100w an amazing amp!!!

fixed and agreed



...and hey John
__________________
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #19
mmjohn
Call me John
 
mmjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
I've got the 50 watt and love it!! What's up 311??
__________________
___________________________
Playing on some new gear....review to follow
mmjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #20
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
A Mark 3 or 4 fer shure. At the price they go for in the US you all should have one.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:58 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.