Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
jumpthewhale

Looking for an amp

Sorry for the what amp thread but I've been looking for something for awhile and can't find it.

I'm looking for an amp for stoner rock (think unida, kyuss, electric wizard, QOTSA, the sword, nebula, truckfighters). My favorite guitarist is Josh Homme, but i'm only looking to get close, not really exact.
In particular, I want the sound of this song

The issue lies in that everyone tells you to just really crank a tube amp with a fuzz pedal and you'll get there. I need specifics, and I don't really have a lot of room to crank an amp, considering I'm in college living in a dorm.

My budget is probably around 600$ absolute max (I'd have to sell some gear, but that could happen) and I could go used, but given the rigors of dorm life, I wouldn't want something so old I'd be afraid to move it. New would be preferable.

I jam with others often, so keeping up with a drummer is necessary. Portability is nice, so I can move it around.

I live in Hoboken, so I'm literally across the river from New York.

Currently I own a butt-ton of fuzzes, including two big muffs and a Fulltone Ultimate Octave. I've got random other modulation pedals as well. I play through a Blues Jr. 99% of the time, which isn't really appropriate for the genre but is good for the other stuff I play. I have two guitars, a tele deluxe in standard and a cort m600 in C standard.

tl/dr;

Genre: Stoner Rock

Closest City: New York/Hoboken

Home or Gig?: Dorm/gig/jam

New/Used/Budget: New preferred, Used if newer model (vintage gear scares me a bit, it's delicate).

600$ max

Current Gear: Blues Jr (not selling), Tele Deluxe in E, Cort m600 in C. I do not own a cabinet, but would be willing to get one. A handful of fuzz pedals.

thanks for your help.
jumpthewhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
jjbarnes
You read these?

Tiny Terror would be great, you couldn't quite "crank" it on the 7.5 watt mode, but more so than the blues jr. You could also get a vox ac4tv or a champ or a fender greta or any of the other, numerous 10 watt and under amps out there now.
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
jjbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
jumpthewhale

I've tried my friends Vox ac4tv and it sounded sterile. The tiny terror could be an option, but I found it to be more 80's sounding than what I want. Like it's too crunchy, not enough fuzzy. I'm looking for something more organic. The Tiny Terror could always be an option though.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #4
jjbarnes
You read these?

The thing I've found with fuzzy is that you should let the fuzz pedals do all the work. I recently picked up a vox nightrain that has less gain and less marshall sounding tonestack than the jet city or tiny terror, but when you run a fuzz into that sucker it sounds like pure fuzz heaven. I've just found that for me personally, I'd rather have distortion from the amp and fuzz from the pedal. Besides, those fuzz boxes were originally designed to sound like slashed speaker cones, so unless you ruin whatever cab/combo you get and only plan on using it for fuzz, the pedals are a better choice for that particular flavor.
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
jjbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpthewhale
Like it's too crunchy, not enough fuzzy.

Not many amps can get fuzzier/fizzier than an Orange. That's kind of what they're known for. I agree with getting your fuzz from a pedal, and main distortion from an amp.
bassmastamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
jumpthewhale

Okay I'll look into it more then. Any other suggestions, just so I have options?

Rate This Thread: