Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
Randomguy09

"We are here to bring thrash back"

"We are here to bring thrash back" is not a excuse to make generic thrash metal! I feel all NWOTM bands are hiding behind this line and use it as an excuse to just use power chords? All this New Wave Of Thrash Metal bands do is fast power chords and shred-like solos.

After listening through bands like Warbringer, Evile, Lazarus A.D, Legion and other NWOTM bands (New Wave Of Thrash Metal) I am bored to death. No one can invent an original sound in Thrash Metal. After 20 min I thought I were listening to the same song by the same band, but no! It was another song by another BAND than what I first put on. Thrash Metal is now the most generic form of metal along with Death Metal on a close second IMO. If anyone know a original sounding Thrash Metal band, let me know!

I really want to play Thrash Metal but I don't know much theory ... YET. I notice all thrash bands ever do is power chords (except for the solos)! Maybe anyone know anything that I can use to refresh the thrash metal genre!

How much theory should I learn? I know limiting myself is not good, but I want to start a band ASAP you see :P

Thanks for answering!
Randomguy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Woffelz
Mmmm...donuts...

Learn at least some basic theory and:

- Power chords.
- Palm muting.
- Alternate picking.
- Other basic techniques, such as hammer ons/pull offs.

This will get you started.

Twitter
Youtube
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Woffelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
kerokero

Oh, the irony in this post....

Palm mute, single note passages, theory, string skipping, sweeping to keep it interesting, power chords, power chords, and more power chords. Welcome to thrash metal. Take it or leave it.
kerokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
Zeletros
Banned

So... you DO NOT like thrash metal, but you want to play thrash metal?
Zeletros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Sharktoothinlay
Metal...It comes from hel

Thrash Metal is sort of suppoused to be about agression, the intricacy of it comes second really. I mean it doesnt mean you can't be creative and different, but tbh its a bit hard really to do anything other than some sort of power chord rythmn and at the same time keep the Thrash metal feel to it.
Sharktoothinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

This band is about as original as new thrash metal gets but it still has everything you don't like.
Vlasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
jetwash69

What's wrong with power chords? They're pure, honest, and lack pretension.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
[QUOTE=jetwash69]What's wrong with power chords? They're pure, honest, and lack pretension.[/QUOT!E]
This isnt accurate at all. None of these qualities can objectively be used to describe music itself, just opinions
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
z4twenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
What's wrong with power chords? They're pure, honest, and lack pretension.

Yeah, unlike those pretentious, lying major and minor chords!

Honestly, when talking about music (as opposed to persona), does "pretentious" ever mean anything other than "too complicated for me to play/understand?"

That damn E7 chord - always drinking its tea with it's pinkie up in the air, talking in that fake posh accent! Thinking it's better than all those other chords ...

And Cmajor is just a punk.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
Randomguy09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeletros
So... you DO NOT like thrash metal, but you want to play thrash metal?

I like thrash metal, but I just came to realize that it's a bit generic nowadays O.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerokero
Oh, the irony in this post....

Palm mute, single note passages, theory, string skipping, sweeping to keep it interesting, power chords, power chords, and more power chords. Welcome to thrash metal. Take it or leave it.

I'm not being ironic. I meant what I said. And I like thrash metal! But seriously what you just listed is about everything bands use in thrash metal. I want us to come up with new ideas for thrash metal to use here I sorta am like those bands myself. It's hard to think of anything new to put in there that still have the thrash metal feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktoothinlay
Thrash Metal is sort of suppoused to be about agression, the intricacy of it comes second really. I mean it doesnt mean you can't be creative and different, but tbh its a bit hard really to do anything other than some sort of power chord rythmn and at the same time keep the Thrash metal feel to it.

This. I realize it's hard being original while keeping the thrash metal feel. But that makes it generic too. So I couldn't have listened only thrash metal, cuz I would feel bored then. I'll keep it in moderation :P

But guys... Can't we all just work together and think of something cool to put in thrash metal! :P The theory I know is the names of the frets on the neck, power chords, bar chords, pentatonic scale, blues scale, chords (A,G,D and so on). I feel I don't have enough theory to start thrashing yet O.o

Last edited by Randomguy09 : 10-08-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #11
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection

You know the problem with what you're asking?

Thrash is already set in stone. If you add anything to it the genre changes. Want an orchestra to play with you? You now have Orchestral Metal. What about high-flying vocals? Welcome to power metal.

You're going to have to extremely exacting and deliberate with what you add. I can't even think of an innovative Thrash band nowadays or a way to innovate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juckfush
^ Your avatar has never been so uncomfortably suitable for your post content.

DiminishedFifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Explain how those bands you listed aren't "true" thrash, and what makes "generic" thrash "generic". I'm lost.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
Randomguy09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
Explain how those bands you listed aren't "true" thrash, and what makes "generic" thrash "generic". I'm lost.

Okay. I never said they aren't true thrash, because they are. What makes them generic is all the power chords IMO I have heard tons of other thrash songs within one thrash song :P

But don't get me wrong I like thrash metal, but is it only me that can hear a lot of similliarities between all thrash bands? O.o
Old 10-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
Randomguy09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiminishedFifth
You know the problem with what you're asking?

Thrash is already set in stone. If you add anything to it the genre changes. Want an orchestra to play with you? You now have Orchestral Metal. What about high-flying vocals? Welcome to power metal.

You're going to have to extremely exacting and deliberate with what you add. I can't even think of an innovative Thrash band nowadays or a way to innovate it.

This! And damn I didn't think of that! Now as I read what you said I agree with you! TIt's clear to me now! If I bring changes into the genre I would just end up playing another already invented genre :/ Anyway thanks for answering man!
Old 10-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy09
But don't get me wrong I like thrash metal, but is it only me that can hear a lot of similliarities between all thrash bands? O.o

Of course not, since there have to be some similarities if they're all the same genre. In fact, that's my point; what makes them any different?
Power chords are an important part of most hard rock and metal. Any rock or metal band is almost guaranteed to have used them. But from how you go on about them, it sounds like the bands you're talking about don't use anything else. Go back to all the thrash classics, even lesser-known ones like Bonded By Blood or Eternal Nightmare, and you'll find them in the riffs.
Now, if the riffs are nothing but powerchords, you're not dealing with thrash at all, since that's not one of the main characteristics (you're probably thinking of crust punk), but the bands you listed don't spam powerchords like that. So what's wrong with them?
Old 10-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #16
hr113

"bringing thrash back"....

did i just travel back in time to '08 or something?

As dim.5th said, tnrash is pretty much set in stone genre.
I dont listen to much thrash nowadays , more of a death metal person, but one of my favorite bands is on a thrashier sde

Nevermore, look them up. While power chords and stuff like that is still there, Loomis is total boss when it comes to badass guitar playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK2i...be_gdata_player
and pay taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
hr113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #17
Randomguy09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
Of course not, since there have to be some similarities if they're all the same genre. In fact, that's my point; what makes them any different?
Power chords are an important part of most hard rock and metal. Any rock or metal band is almost guaranteed to have used them. But from how you go on about them, it sounds like the bands you're talking about don't use anything else. Go back to all the thrash classics, even lesser-known ones like Bonded By Blood or Eternal Nightmare, and you'll find them in the riffs.
Now, if the riffs are nothing but powerchords, you're not dealing with thrash at all, since that's not one of the main characteristics (you're probably thinking of crust punk), but the bands you listed don't spam powerchords like that. So what's wrong with them?

If the bands I listed don't spam power chords what are they doing then? My ears are catching only power chords and single string riffs in all thrash metal songs (for rythm). Now prove me wrong then! :P

Btw I'm listening to Bonded by blood now :p
Old 10-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #18
engineno9

Why not trying to add other harmonies to your rhythms? Thirds, fourths, etc? Megadeth uses these sort of riffs. Kind of surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
engineno9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #19
Randomguy09

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineno9
Why not trying to add other harmonies to your rhythms? Thirds, fourths, etc? Megadeth uses these sort of riffs. Kind of surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet

Ah yes, harmonies! Totally forgot that... will use it, thanks!
Old 10-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #20
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

The thrash sound comes from the rhythms, not the chords used.
If you're going to say that a song like this is just "spammed powerchords", you could also argue that, using your example, Exodus just "spams notes". I hear a lot more than just powerchords in both bands- although I hear plenty of powerchords in this.

Rate This Thread: