Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
tris123

Guitar headstock broken

Hey guys,

Last summer my bro dropped my bassguitar in its bag on the groud. It broke it's headstock in the fall (Bummer). Now I was wondering I'm going to fiks the bassguitar myself cause i'm getting a new one anyway. But I like to get it fixed loved the bassguitar. It's a peavey cirrus bxp5 and it's broken halfway though the headstock zo it's still on al the chips are still attached. The only problem is that it's broken straight to the low E string.
So any tips what kind of glue how to get the glue in or should I break of the head and attatch the whole ting.

Tnks for advice in advanace,

Grtz,
Tris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1350669414NIMAG0406.jpg (25.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 1350669431NIMAG0407.jpg (16.0 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 1350669453NIMAG0408.jpg (13.3 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 1350669471NIMAG0409.jpg (16.4 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by tris123 : 10-19-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Added pics
tris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
whoomit

Pictures would help a LOT.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
tris123

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
Pictures would help a LOT.

I added the pics hope you can make somenthing up out of them
Old 10-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

After the first two pics I was like, "Meh, what's the problem," and then pic 3 was, "WOAH!"

Anyway. Looks perfectly gluable to me.

Paddy von Layzonfon! Founder of The Spell it RELICKED Club
von Layzonfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
tris123

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Layzonfon
After the first two pics I was like, "Meh, what's the problem," and then pic 3 was, "WOAH!"

Anyway. Looks perfectly gluable to me.

Thats good news. I was just worried with the low e for the tension of the string. cause the crack goes through the screw stat holds it in place. And would you know what kind of glue would be strong enough and almost invisible for this guitar?
Old 10-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
whoomit

Yeah, remove the tuners and get some Titebond. When clamping it up make sure it's straight (shouldn't really be a problem seeing as it's still attatched) and put something either side of the headstock to protect the surface. Wipe away the glue with some damp tissue paper as you clamp it up. You'll want clamps very close to the break (or perhaps even on it) to make it as invisible as possible.

That's what I would do
Old 10-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
Heilz
Fable in the Cold Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
Yeah, remove the tuners and get some Titebond. When clamping it up make sure it's straight (shouldn't really be a problem seeing as it's still attatched) and put something either side of the headstock to protect the surface. Wipe away the glue with some damp tissue paper as you clamp it up. You'll want clamps very close to the break (or perhaps even on it) to make it as invisible as possible.

That's what I would do

Whoomit just pretty much said it all there is to say to fix it, you follow this and there should be no problem

Something "similar" happened to one of my basses, it was NOT pretty but i even put a screw in and it worked like a charm hehe.

One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?
Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Heilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:22 AM   #8
tris123

Thnanks guys goinig to try that. Just wondering wouldn't it be better to use polyurethane glue? should be stronger than titebond only problem is that ist's difficult to get that between the crack.
Thanks for the help guys saved m life
Old 10-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #9
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tris123
Thnanks guys goinig to try that. Just wondering wouldn't it be better to use polyurethane glue? should be stronger than titebond only problem is that ist's difficult to get that between the crack.
Thanks for the help guys saved m life

Titebond will make the repair stronger than the wood around it, so anything stronger would be overkill.

Just use titebond.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
LeviMan_2001

I always use wood glue on wood. It's designed to bond wood, and therefore, does it amazingly well. And yes absolutely, the glue is stronger than the wood. I've experienced this first hand.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #11
whoomit

I can see two problems with using polyurethane glue for this.

1. The glue expands and foams, and will need chiselled away and sanded after curing. Not ideal on an already finished surface, unless of course you're planning to refinish it.

2. Poly glue often wants glue on one surface, and water on the other (which will be difficult anyway, seeing as the headstock's still together) and you don't want to be adding any extra moisture to the wood. It'll just make the grain swell slightly, and then it won't want to fit as tightly as it did before.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
woad_yurt

Titebond or Elmer's Wood Glue with clamps. Make sure you get it in all of the crack. If you're anywhere near a farmer's co-op, go get a big syringe for horses or cows. You'll be able to get it way in there. They make and sell syringes for glue but, since I have a co-op near me, I've never had to find out where to get one.

Last edited by woad_yurt : 10-22-2012 at 08:50 AM.
woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: