Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Suttam

Short question about scales.

Hi there, guys!

I have a question for you all, which is about playing scales on guitar. I know the concept of scales and intervals and how they use notes that fits into your playing when playing over chords and so. But I'm a bit confused on how to learn to apply these over the fretboard.

How do you learn scales properly? Should I make up shapes from the notes of each individual scale and just play these as I like, or should I learn the formulas of the scales and play them from the root note?

Are there any ways to divide and conquer this mess of notes?
Suttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
steven seagull
not really a seagull

You should listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
skilly1

Learn the minor pentatonic scale in A to start with, then apply the same patterns in any key...
skilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suttam
How do you learn scales properly? Should I make up shapes from the notes of each individual scale and just play these as I like, or should I learn the formulas of the scales and play them from the root note?

Your long term goal is to be able to make music with these scales.

Most people start with some sort of "shape" on the fretboard. However, it's very important to note that you don't just "play them as you like," - all notes in a scale are not created equal. They all do different things - they all are words with different meanings, so to speak.

So it's fine if you learn them as box shapes so long as you work on your ear and develop your ability to hear the relationship of each individual note to the tonal center.
HotspurJr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
You should listen

Not sure what you're trying to say with this reply. But thanks for contributing?

To the OP:
Sure, write up shapes. But know the relationships between the notes and which notes they are. You don't want to be stuck in the "I'm playing in A, so I'm going to put my 1st finger on the 5th fret and that is where I will be."

You want to be able to play the scales up and back using any combination of notes on a string.
For the sake of not writing up tabs to show you... You should be able to play an A scale with 3 notes on the E string, 3 notes on the A string and 2 notes on the D string (3, 3, 2) Then be able to play 4, 4, 1. Maybe even all 8 on the E string. Then all 8 on the A string.
You see what I'm saying?

Don't get stuck in one position, thats what makes players scale grinders and stops them from making music. Being able to see the whole fretboard as a way to use the notes of a scale rather than some 1 or 2 octave locked-in position is what helps you to see things differently and create music. Learning scales the way I described is just one way to do just that.
King Of Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suttam
Every scale makes a "shape" on the fret board. But if you move the shape up or down, the "scale" is in a different key.

So, the mistake that many people make, is only learning the scale "shape". It's a shortcut that can spell disaster for an overarching fluent understanding of music.

If say I , (arbitrarily), wanted to learn the scale for the key of E major, I could only learn the "shape" in a given position, and I suppose, get away with it. But, I should learn the name of the notes in the key, the names of every note under every finger in the shape, and how to recognize the "key signature", on a written piece of music.

Delve into basic musical theory, by learning the chromatic scale, the note spacing patterns for forming a major or minor key, why a note is termed sharp or flat, and what chords are generated by the scale.

The easiest way to learn a key, is to start from the root, and go with the "do, re, mi, fa ,so, la, ti, do. But, keep in mind every key has a relative minor, and its scale starts on the 6th note of the major scale. Musical melodies don't always simply encompass, "do to do", but can start, and possibly end, on any note within the key. So, if you know the names of notes in the key, you could start on any note in the key, and end on, or extend to any octave of the key, not just the basic shape of a scale.

Training by playing "shapes" attends to the physical side of playing, and it shouldn't be disregarded. But, when you know the names of the notes on the board, and the notes of the key you're playing, you won't be forced into playing shapes, you can play all over the fret board, and know why you're doing it.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-20-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

^ I don't think it's necessary to know the names of the notes but you have to know how different notes sound. On guitar it's easier to think: "I put my fingers here and it sounds like this." I mean, of course you must know the intervals but the note names aren't necessary for improvisation. When you play fast, you can't think in note names. Of course you must know the note names when you play chords, but when you improvise... It's more important to know what sound you get when you fret a note. And by playing scale shapes and listening at the same time makes you remember different sounds easier.

You will always play in a scale "shape" even though you weren't thinking it as a shape. They are just the easiest positions to find the notes.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
metalmetalhead
Panterica

I use the mode patterns to navigate. Theres 7 patterns they span the whole fret board. All 5 pentoinc patterns are there. just take out the B and F =M2 & m6 you get pentonic minor. arpeggiating chords in these scales really helped me navigate better.

A B C D E F G A
B C D E F G A B
C D E F G A B C and so on very simple easy to remember.

this can be applied to any key

And its very helpful once you've learned all the note names.

check out my youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/stevenebowen

Last edited by metalmetalhead : 10-20-2012 at 09:19 AM.
metalmetalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Suede
Not sure what you're trying to say with this reply.

he's saying

Quote:
Sure, write up shapes. But know the relationships between the notes and which notes they are. You don't want to be stuck in the "I'm playing in A, so I'm going to put my 1st finger on the 5th fret and that is where I will be."

You want to be able to play the scales up and back using any combination of notes on a string.
For the sake of not writing up tabs to show you... You should be able to play an A scale with 3 notes on the E string, 3 notes on the A string and 2 notes on the D string (3, 3, 2) Then be able to play 4, 4, 1. Maybe even all 8 on the E string. Then all 8 on the A string.
You see what I'm saying?

Don't get stuck in one position, thats what makes players scale grinders and stops them from making music. Being able to see the whole fretboard as a way to use the notes of a scale rather than some 1 or 2 octave locked-in position is what helps you to see things differently and create music. Learning scales the way I described is just one way to do just that.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist

No. You said that. He made a snarky 3 word reply to someone who was asking a legitimate question and contributed nothing to the thread.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
:-D
hi

who declared you the king of suede anyway

i'm challenging your rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
Captaincranky

Quote:
No. You said that. He made a snarky 3 word reply to someone who was asking a legitimate question and contributed nothing to the thread.
Are you even allowed to use the term,
Quote:
"snarky, 3 word reply"
in reference to a moderator?
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:

Actually "You should listen" is the correct answer to the question. By listening to the notes you play you'll learn to use them well. If you have no idea about how different notes sound, you really can't play what you hear in your head.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist

Sure, that works if you're able to learn in a vacuum.

But for normal people, learning scales helps to center around the "right" notes and gives a launching point into what you're talking about.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #15
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:

It was an efficient reply, aimed at getting the thread starter to look at what he was doing and try to identify his mistakes for himself... If someone is struggling with scales but only references shapes and formulas but doesn't once mention sound it's pretty clear where the problem lies - too much reading, too much playing, not enough listening. However I find there's much more of a sense of achievement of you manage to answer your own question after a bit of gentle prodding rather than have someone spoon feed you an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #16
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D
who declared you the king of suede anyway

I know man. The Kind of suede is clearly Mr Perkins

and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #17
macashmack
Maskcashmack

I want to be the King of Cashmere
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #18
Hail
kill both bass players

hey suede you need to change your name it's causing discussion that's irrelevant to the thread and useless
Old 10-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #19
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

I always read his name as Kind of Suede, and that opens up a whole new can of worms. Is he a different type of suede, or is he sort of like suede, you just don't know.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #20
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
I always read his name as Kind of Suede, and that opens up a whole new can of worms. Is he a different type of suede, or is he sort of like suede, you just don't know.

like pleather?

puede?

Rate This Thread: