Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike

Wacom tablet or just a tablet?

So I got tired of drawing on paper all the time, I wanna move to digital painting.

At first my friend suggested me the EVGA Tegra NOTE 7 tablet, but I was put off by its small 7 inch screen.

So I thought Wacom tablet, but I aint used to looking at the screen and not at my hand when it comes to drawing.

And no, actually screens are way out of my budget(which is about 200-300 bucks).

Any suggestion folks?

E-Married to JGBSmith!

Member of the LGBTQQ group.
Guitar0player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
Wormholes
See you on the other side

kids these days

Wormholes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
metal4eva_22
Smart purple horse

I have a Wacom Intuos and it's great.

Also, long time no see.
metal4eva_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4eva_22
I have a Wacom Intuos and it's great.

Also, long time no see.

Did you get used to watch the screen and not your hand? Cos I am seriously afraid of that.

Same eh? Listening to my instrumental about Luna.

E-Married to JGBSmith!

Old 07-25-2014, 05:40 PM   #5
metal4eva_22
Smart purple horse

It's weird at first but it's really no different than looking at the screen while typing. If you have the cash then I would get a full tablet but make sure you get one specific for digital drawing. The samsung galaxy note 10.1 was made for drawing but it's a lot more expensive than the wacom ones.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #6
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike

Quote:
It's weird at first but it's really no different than looking at the screen while typing. If you have the cash then I would get a full tablet but make sure you get one specific for digital drawing. The samsung galaxy note 10.1 was made for drawing but it's a lot more expensive than the wacom ones.

I have no idea if I should spend that type of money on a tablet, cos that thing is about 2000-2500 NIS here(730$).

How's the Wacom though?

E-Married to JGBSmith!

Old 07-25-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
metal4eva_22
Smart purple horse

I only got it a week ago so I haven't had the time to fully check it out. It comes with a bunch of programs including photoshop, but so far I've just used it with paint and gimp since I already know those. I'll have more time to screw around with it this weekend. But so far it's worth the $100. The samsung is about $450 here (Canada). Also, drawing with a tablet is way better than drawing with a pencil. I would recommend the wacom.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #8
TSmitty6
In the traphouse

I've worked with Wacom in my job before, and recently learned between the Wacom and the company who makes the Surface Pro 3 styluses are the top tier for legibility and detail.

I sell to a bank who insists on using Wacom on their digital signatures because of legibility so it must be important.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:56 AM   #9
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSmitty6
I've worked with Wacom in my job before, and recently learned between the Wacom and the company who makes the Surface Pro 3 styluses are the top tier for legibility and detail.

I sell to a bank who insists on using Wacom on their digital signatures because of legibility so it must be important.

I guess so...but that was not really what I was asking in the OP....

Quote:
I only got it a week ago so I haven't had the time to fully check it out. It comes with a bunch of programs including photoshop, but so far I've just used it with paint and gimp since I already know those. I'll have more time to screw around with it this weekend. But so far it's worth the $100. The samsung is about $450 here (Canada). Also, drawing with a tablet is way better than drawing with a pencil. I would recommend the wacom.

Another issue I have here is should I spend this much money on drawing scribbles and silly cartoon characters?

If I do I will post my crossovers of MLP characters with real bands over at the MLP thread and then you'll know who the **** I drew in the first place.

E-Married to JGBSmith!

Last edited by Guitar0player : 07-26-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:02 AM   #10
MeGaDeth2314
UG Addict

I thought a tablet was just a dirty old stone that cavemen wrote on?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:08 AM   #11
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeGaDeth2314
I thought a tablet was just a dirty old stone that cavemen wrote on?

We come a long way since da stone age, son.

E-Married to JGBSmith!

Old 07-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #12
Bikewer

By all accounts, a graphics tablet is the way to go for anyone who's serious... All the artists I follow use 'em.
However.... If you already have a tablet of some sort, get a free APP called "Splashtop".
Splashtop accesses your computer... Whatever program you happen to be using shows up on your ipad or whatever.... Wifi-connected.
So... to use your iPad as a graphics tablet, you open up Photoshop (or whatever you're using), activate Splashtop, and you can draw to your heart's content on your iPad and it shows up on your computer... Using Photoshop.
Works very well.... Lag free on my rig and it's vastly easier to draw with stylus and tablet than computer screen and mouse.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM   #13
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer
By all accounts, a graphics tablet is the way to go for anyone who's serious... All the artists I follow use 'em.
However.... If you already have a tablet of some sort, get a free APP called "Splashtop".
Splashtop accesses your computer... Whatever program you happen to be using shows up on your ipad or whatever.... Wifi-connected.
So... to use your iPad as a graphics tablet, you open up Photoshop (or whatever you're using), activate Splashtop, and you can draw to your heart's content on your iPad and it shows up on your computer... Using Photoshop.
Works very well.... Lag free on my rig and it's vastly easier to draw with stylus and tablet than computer screen and mouse.

Yeah but its not as responsive as a graphics tablet, besides with my connection its better off not to.

So I guess I am going with a Wacom Intuos, how's the Manga one?

E-Married to JGBSmith!

Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM   #14
fingrpikingood

I have an older wacom, and it's great. They must be even better now. Looking at the screen and not your hand, is slightly odd, but I don't find that such a big deal. What I do find important though, is being able to get the setup correctly where you are comfortable.

I don't have one, but I would imagine the best sort of thing would be a desk that could go on an angle like a designer desk.
Old Today, 07:20 AM   #15
gorkyporky
I like pie.

I have a wacom bamboo, and its pretty good. You get used to looking at the screen and not your hand, especially since the pad still tracks the pen when you lift it up a bit, so you can see the cursor moving around. I say you should get something similar, if you dont want wacom, just make sure it still tracks even after you lift the pen from the pad.
Old Today, 09:23 AM   #16
Hephistopheles
UG Newbie

I have a Wacom Bamboo. It was about $90 or so. It's a little confusing at first but you'll get the hang of looking at the screen pretty quickly.
Hephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: