Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
Paddynbob

This Metal Guitar Tone or Not?

Right, I'm really not fishing for views here, honest!

But I'm recording my EP just now, and I've always had a pretty sure sound that I've always used. This is my Epiphone LP Standard with a SD Invader in Bridge (Epi by choice, not by lack of funding!) through my EHX Metal Muff straight into Blackstar HT Stage 60, no FX Loop (although in the link its an Orange TH30).

I personally like the tone most of the time, although its not really like a lot of the tones of the same genre, but I'm having doubts, because of the differences, if you see what I mean.

The sound is very grainy, as it will always be through an Orange, I guess, and sounds very similar via my Blackstar (maybe not quite as grainy). My amp settings are usually Amp: Treble- 4 Bass-4, and i basically EQ it through my pedal: Bass-8 Mids-4ish Treble-6/7, and the distortion level is fixed somewhere... god knows where.

On other, softer tracks, I use my Gibson, but I've got the tone nailed for those bits

I realise I'll get some Epi/Non-FX haters, but hey-ho :L

Yay or Nae to this tone?

www.facebook.com/twinparadoxofficial
click on music, only track

Last edited by Paddynbob : 10-20-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Paddynbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus

How about using the amp's actual overdrive, more mids and less bass?
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
JesusCrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusCrisp
How about using the amp's actual overdrive, more mids and less bass?

I did tune down the bass in this a bit
do you mean as well as the pedal?
Old 10-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddynbob
I did tune down the bass in this a bit
do you mean as well as the pedal?

No, just the amp's overdrive.
What's the point of playing through a high gain amp (which both the Orange and the HT-60 are) and using a fizzy distortion pedal for the gain?
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Old 10-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
Paddynbob

Quote:
No, just the amp's overdrive.
What's the point of playing through a high gain amp (which both the Orange and the HT-60 are) and using a fizzy distortion pedal for the gain?

I don't know how much you could describe the stage 60 as "high gain", really... It's a great amp, but it really just handles hard rock/punk
Old 10-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
KailM

(@ JesusCrisp)^^Agreed. Both of those amps have a much better tone on their own without a distortion pedal.

TS, what you might find works a lot better is an overdrive pedal set as a boost rather than a stand alone distortion. Run it straight from your guitar into the front of the amp, turn the gain on the OD pedal all or most of the way down, and the volume most of the way up. Run it this way on your already overdriven channels. This will produce a nice, tight distortion that still allows the natural character of your amp's overdrive to come through.

There are very few "distortion" pedals that can offer any improvement over a tube amp's natural distortion.

That said, I didn't find your tone inappropriate for your style of music. But I do think a thicker, less fuzzy/grainy tone would work better.
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus

Quote:
I don't know how much you could describe the stage 60 as "high gain", really... It's a great amp, but it really just handles hard rock/punk

Then you're doing something wrong.
I was getting PLENTY of gain and the right kind of voicing out of an HT-40 when I tried one and that was with a Strat with a much lower output humbucker than the Invaders in your guitar.
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Old 10-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
KailM

Quote:

Use an OD boost like I described and you can get full-on death metal tone out of that amp. I've only played the HT 20 and 40, and I was able to get into thrash metal tone without any pedals -- just engage the extra boost on the lead channel.
Boss HM-2
Old 10-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
Paddynbob

Quote:
Then you're doing something wrong.
I was getting PLENTY of gain and the right kind of voicing out of an HT-40 when I tried one and that was with a Strat with a much lower output humbucker than the Invaders in your guitar.

God knows :L Saying that, I've not really had a chance to try the high gain with the volume all the way up, would that make a large amount of difference?
Old 10-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
Use an OD boost like I described and you can get full-on death metal tone out of that amp. I've only played the HT 20 and 40, and I was able to get into thrash metal tone without any pedals -- just engage the extra boost on the lead channel.

Do you think I'd get quite as much gain as the Muff?
Old 10-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
Paddynbob

Quote:
(@ JesusCrisp)^^Agreed. Both of those amps have a much better tone on their own without a distortion pedal.

TS, what you might find works a lot better is an overdrive pedal set as a boost rather than a stand alone distortion. Run it straight from your guitar into the front of the amp, turn the gain on the OD pedal all or most of the way down, and the volume most of the way up. Run it this way on your already overdriven channels. This will produce a nice, tight distortion that still allows the natural character of your amp's overdrive to come through.

There are very few "distortion" pedals that can offer any improvement over a tube amp's natural distortion.

That said, I didn't find your tone inappropriate for your style of music. But I do think a thicker, less fuzzy/grainy tone would work better.

Would a DS1 work like a OD pedal, or would a dedicated OD pedal work better?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #12
KailM

Quote:
Would a DS1 work like a OD pedal, or would a dedicated OD pedal work better?

No, a DS1 will give you shit. You need an OD pedal or a clean boost pedal. But most people playing in metal genres just use an OD pedal like an Ibanez TS-9 (Tubescreamer) or Digitech Bad Monkey. The key is, we're not using them as they were originally intended.

When boosting with an OD, you're turning the "gain" or "drive" on the pedal all the way down, especially on a high-gain amp. Now I suppose if you had a really low gain amp, you might want to add some gain on the pedal. But it pushes your first tube harder and creates more gain IN THE AMP. You will definitely get more gain out of your amp by doing this. But the side benefit is that it will still sound like your amp, not some thin/fizzy/tin-can-full-of-bees sound like you're getting out of your Muff.
Boss HM-2
Old 10-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #13
Paddynbob

see, can't get mine to sound anything like that... true, thats the Stage 100 half stack, and mine is the stage 60 combo, but surely it can't be the much of a difference?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #14
Paddynbob

Quote:
No, a DS1 will give you shit. You need an OD pedal or a clean boost pedal. But most people playing in metal genres just use an OD pedal like an Ibanez TS-9 (Tubescreamer) or Digitech Bad Monkey. The key is, we're not using them as they were originally intended.

When boosting with an OD, you're turning the "gain" or "drive" on the pedal all the way down, especially on a high-gain amp. Now I suppose if you had a really low gain amp, you might want to add some gain on the pedal. But it pushes your first tube harder and creates more gain IN THE AMP. You will definitely get more gain out of your amp by doing this. But the side benefit is that it will still sound like your amp, not some thin/fizzy/tin-can-full-of-bees sound like you're getting out of your Muff.

would it push it to sound like the link i just posted?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #15
KailM

Quote:
would it push it to sound like the link i just posted?

Yes.
Boss HM-2
Old 10-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #16
Paddynbob

Quote:
Yes.

Hmmmmmm... which overdrive do you think I should go for? Which is best value for money? Are there certain types that would work or do ALL overdrives work?

edit 1: Would a higher gain OD maybe work better? EG the Wylde OD? Haven't really looked into it though

Last edited by Paddynbob : 10-20-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #17
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus

Try the settings shown at the end of the video and maybe work from there.
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Old 10-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #18
lfcagger
twat

TS, if you can't get a good metal sound out of your amp you are doing something wrong. I've had the HT20 for a year now and I have no problem getting a close approximation of Trivium, Machine Head, CoB or Dream Theater out of it, all of whom use high gain sounds, without any pedals. What volume do you usually use it at?

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
lfcagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcagger
TS, if you can't get a good metal sound out of your amp you are doing something wrong. I've had the HT20 for a year now and I have no problem getting a close approximation of Trivium, Machine Head, CoB or Dream Theater out of it, all of whom use high gain sounds, without any pedals. What volume do you usually use it at?

maybe 12 o'clock channel, 8/9 o'clock master
Old 10-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #20
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Cool JR.
The Metal Muff works great as an OD, IMO the DS-1 does not at all. The M-Muff sounds quite similar to a tube screamer when used as a boost. Plus you have an added bonus of a 3 band EQ and a little more drive on tap. I have the M-Muff and a Tube screamer and when EQd properly you really cant tell the difference A-B'ing them side by side.

So in short you already have a great pedal to use as an OD for now. I wouldn't rule out a TS though because they are great pedals to own no matter how many Dirt/Distortion pedals you own.

The GFS Greenie is a great TS Clone for a great price and is a-lot more versitile than a standard TS. Then they also have the GFS Twin Over Drive it is a TS9 & 808 basically glued together. The Ibanez TS-7 is another great one and it has a hot switch on it to get a lot more drive out of it. It is also more versatile than a standard type TS due to the hot switch. The TS-7 is discontinued so you would have to find it used.

would that not just get the sound of the metal muff?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: