Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
consecutive e
draws 'til death.

Help me spend $750 AUD.

As the thread states, I've just sold my Ampeg cab so I've got $750 to play with and not really anything that I "need" strictly speaking.
Help me spend it.
I was thinking about a string order, try some TI flats, get a nice set for my Warwick, maybe Circle Ks or Fodera Nickels... hmmm....
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
consecutive e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Bass Beast

Maybe get some effects.

Use bait!

Bass player looks nervous!

Use safari ball!

... ... ... !

bass player got away...
Bass Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Tostitos
Got Mead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by consecutive e
I was thinking about a string order, try some TI flats, get a nice set for my Warwick, maybe Circle Ks or Fodera Nickels... hmmm....

I'm loving my set of TI flats right now, I'd give them the thumbs up. I've been looking at Fodera strings myself, have you tried any of their steels?

You could just hold the cash until you strike on some hidden gold. Been keeping an eye on the 'bay?

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
megano28
Inspiring Multi's

Should I pm you my address or will you paypal it to me?

Really though, save it until you figure out exactly what you want. Simply spending because you can doesn't lead anywhere good, at least not without some buying regrets down the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanglewoodguit
I'm against hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTheRapture51
Because if I par myself enough maybe everyone else will stop.
megano28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #5
Sliide90027

Strings
Mogami Platnum Cables
Home made locking Electrical Leads with 12/3 cable
Flight case for Bass and Rig
2 Car Payments
Cutting a nut on a bass for C# F# and B, then the usual out to D on a 6 or A on a 5
Find a Back up rig
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:01 AM   #6
consecutive e
draws 'til death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tostitos
I'm loving my set of TI flats right now, I'd give them the thumbs up. I've been looking at Fodera strings myself, have you tried any of their steels?

You could just hold the cash until you strike on some hidden gold. Been keeping an eye on the 'bay?

How do the TI flats go for heavier type stuff? I'm not talking metal but somewhere in the realm of what I guess you'd call "hard rock". I've got D'Addario Half-wounds on my P at the moment and there's a lot of tension, I know the TIs are supposed to be quite low on tension, can they tend to feel a bit, I guess, sloppy? I really want to try them, but they aint cheap.
The Fodera Stainlesses are... Stainlesses. There's nothing overly special about them. The Nickels are where it's at, warm and punchy, they feel great on the fingers too.

I hate holding on to money, it burns a hole in my pocket real quick.
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Old 10-21-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
Tostitos
Got Mead?

Quote:
How do the TI flats go for heavier type stuff? I'm not talking metal but somewhere in the realm of what I guess you'd call "hard rock". I've got D'Addario Half-wounds on my P at the moment and there's a lot of tension, I know the TIs are supposed to be quite low on tension, can they tend to feel a bit, I guess, sloppy? I really want to try them, but they aint cheap.
The Fodera Stainlesses are... Stainlesses. There's nothing overly special about them. The Nickels are where it's at, warm and punchy, they feel great on the fingers too.

I hate holding on to money, it burns a hole in my pocket real quick.

They are noticeably lower tension then the Chromes I was using before, but only slightly. I wouldn't say "sloppy," more like "relaxed." They have a bit of play to them. Wonderful silky smooth feel though. I honestly can't give a solid opinion on if they're good for heavier stuff, I haven't played anything "heavier" than some Pearl Jam tunes since I strung them up on my NS-94 (which hasn't got much play time lately since I haven't gotten around to fixing some loose wires yet).

I'll look into the nickels, maybe their light set. I always wanted to try a light gauge.

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Old 10-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
dark Mass
邪魔よ&

TI flats have low tension for flatwound strings.

My P is currently strung with them and they sound great with the heavy fuzz that I use.

EDIT:If you gig a lot and use multiple instruments a Mogami Platinum is a must. I would also recommend a Tech21 Boost Bass Chorus and a Bass Boost Fuzz.

Last edited by dark Mass : 10-21-2012 at 05:17 PM.
dark Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

If I remember correctly Planet Waves do a cable which has a switch on the instrument end that allows you to mute the instrument easily without having to fiddle around with pedals/your amp. Probably does the job just as well without having to pay through the teeth for all that gold plated voodoo.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
dark Mass
邪魔よ&

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
If I remember correctly Planet Waves do a cable which has a switch on the instrument end that allows you to mute the instrument easily without having to fiddle around with pedals/your amp. Probably does the job just as well without having to pay through the teeth for all that gold plated voodoo.

Planet Waves do have one but they're highly unreliable due to the fact it uses a switch on the plug body to break the circuit. Instead of using the Switchcraft REED switch plug which you just plug in a go without using button to mute the signal.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:22 AM   #11
consecutive e
draws 'til death.

Canare cable with Neutrik ends for cable, make your own people!
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Old 10-23-2012, 05:44 AM   #12
consecutive e
draws 'til death.

String order made!
Thomastiks for the P Bass.
Sadowsky Blue Labels for my Jazz.
Fodera Nickels for my Streamer.
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Old 10-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #13
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

Might just leave you with enough money to buy me the Warwick I've been gassing after but can't afford as I've recently splashed on a new cab and a load of pedals?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #14
consecutive e
draws 'til death.

I've got Warwick plans for when my Mesa sells. What 'Wick are you looking at?
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Old 10-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
Tostitos
Got Mead?

Quote:
I've got Warwick plans for when my Mesa sells. What 'Wick are you looking at?

What kind of Warwick are you looking at when you move the Mesa?

I'm curious how those Sadowsky's turn out for you. I here lots and lots of talk about Sadowsky strings on TB, but I've yet to actually meet someone who uses them or play a bass strung up with them.

EDIT: Star Bass?

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado

Last edited by Tostitos : 10-23-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

Quote:
I've got Warwick plans for when my Mesa sells.

Do tell :P.

Quote:
What 'Wick are you looking at?

I quite like the idea of the standard Corvette (not the RockBass one, the proper one). One of the Bubinga ones. Nothing too fancy, but it's got to be a slim neck and single coils for me (been playing jazz basses for too long now) and they go for silly money second hand at the moment... seen them as low as 375 which is crazy when they retail at about 1000. Preferably a passive one too but can't be too picky. I fancy the extra frets and I like the way the mids sound on them. Plus something with a smaller body/headstock/general presence would be nice, being short as I am.

Last edited by Ziphoblat : 10-23-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Ziphoblat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #17
consecutive e
draws 'til death.

Quote:
What kind of Warwick are you looking at when you move the Mesa?

I'm curious how those Sadowsky's turn out for you. I here lots and lots of talk about Sadowsky strings on TB, but I've yet to actually meet someone who uses them or play a bass strung up with them.

EDIT: Star Bass?

Me too, heard a lot of good things, played my first ever Sad in a shop last week which I assume had them on. Nice strings. As for the bass... It's a well made Jazz with a good preamp in it. Nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
Do tell :P.

I quite like the idea of the standard Corvette (not the RockBass one, the proper one). One of the Bubinga ones. Nothing too fancy, but it's got to be a slim neck and single coils for me (been playing jazz basses for too long now) and they go for silly money second hand at the moment... seen them as low as 375 which is crazy when they retail at about 1000. Preferably a passive one too but can't be too picky. I fancy the extra frets and I like the way the mids sound on them. Plus something with a smaller body/headstock/general presence would be nice, being short as I am.

I'm going for a Pro Series Star, got a few little mods planned for it as well.

Sounds like you want something from pre-2000. The necks are Jazz-ish but with more of a D shape to them rather than the usual Fender C. Full Wenge necks on them too, which, IMO, are A LOT nicer than the Ovangkol they use these days. Also if you're after a smaller body I recommend a Thumb over a Corvette.
The MEC preamps are really decent, there's no volume loss in my Streamer when I go from Active to Passive, might be worth looking into an active model just to have the option there if you ever want it. If you go for a Thumb you've got no choice however.
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Old 10-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #18
WarwickOfficial

The standard neck profile has gone back to C-shape as of 2009. The Fat neck is available as an option, but all of our necks are made with the standard slim profile now. The Fat neck is more of a D-shape profile. We also offer an extra-slim C profile, and a wide D-shaped profile (Broadneck on 5 and 6 string basses). Please let me know if you've got any questions or need assistance in any way. Thanks!
WarwickOfficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #19
Tostitos
Got Mead?

Quote:
Me too, heard a lot of good things, played my first ever Sad in a shop last week which I assume had them on. Nice strings. As for the bass... It's a well made Jazz with a good preamp in it. Nothing more.

I figured that's what the bass would be like. I've never gotten the chance to try a Sadowsky, BassNW only ever seems to have them when I'm out of town. I think I'd probably pick up a Modulus or Lull anyways if I were to go for a "super-jazz."

Quote:
I'm going for a Pro Series Star, got a few little mods planned for it as well.

What are you thinking of changing out? Pups/electronics?

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Old 10-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #20
consecutive e
draws 'til death.

Quote:
I figured that's what the bass would be like. I've never gotten the chance to try a Sadowsky, BassNW only ever seems to have them when I'm out of town. I think I'd probably pick up a Modulus or Lull anyways if I were to go for a "super-jazz."

What are you thinking of changing out? Pups/electronics?

The Sads ARE really nice, but IMO not 3K nice if I was in the market for a Jazz ever again I'd be looking for a used one, but I wouldn't pay more than about $1500 for one.

Star mods... It'll be getting a series/parallel switch, just because I'm loving series so much on my Jazz. At work we did this really nice mod to the fretboard of my P Bass, basically rounding the edges of the fretboard, the Star will be getting that. It feels gorgeous. Also going to see what we can do about making it a bit less shiny, high polish doesn't really do it for me anymore.

Just made an order through of our suppliers.... P Bass body, black guard, MM pup, Gotoh bridge. We've got a Peavey T-40 neck here in the shop that we defretted... You can guess where this is going . Picking it all up on Monday.

The rest is going on a...

iPad mini.
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB

Last edited by consecutive e : 10-25-2012 at 03:17 AM.

Rate This Thread: