Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
H.I.Shredder808

Question Active to Passive PUP, what should I do?

Name says it all. Im planning on switching out the emg 81 and 85 in my H1001FR to either a seymour duncan JB and 59 or to a bareknuckle aftermath set. I would like to basically have the controls of an esp horizon with a push pull coil split on the volume knob.
What exactly would I need to buy? Ive read that I would have to replace pots or something? This is a subject I know almost nothing about so apologies if I come off as a total dumbass . Im just trying to get a buying list together before I give it to a tech at a LGS. I could do the job myself, but my knowledge of electronics is very basic.
any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
H.I.Shred808
Takamine G340SC Acoustic
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Carvin Legacy 2
Dunlop 535Q crybaby wah
Whirlwind A/B Selector
H.I.Shredder808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

You'll need 500k pots. One of them push/pull obviously. You'll need to replace the stereo jack with a mono one too I believe.

As for wiring them up, most pickup manufacturers have the schematics online for tons of different wiring styles. Check the Duncan site or Dimarzio etc...They have what you're looking for.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
H.I.Shredder808

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
You'll need 500k pots. One of them push/pull obviously. You'll need to replace the stereo jack with a mono one too I believe.

As for wiring them up, most pickup manufacturers have the schematics online for tons of different wiring styles. Check the Duncan site or Dimarzio etc...They have what you're looking for.

Fast response time thanks. Are there any particular brands youd recommend I look into? and would you consider it a hard install? Ive installed pickups before using diagrams, bur never switching active to passive with a coil split before. You think a beginner could do it?
Takamine G340SC Acoustic
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Carvin Legacy 2
Dunlop 535Q crybaby wah
Whirlwind A/B Selector
Old 10-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.I.Shredder808
Fast response time thanks. Are there any particular brands youd recommend I look into? and would you consider it a hard install? Ive installed pickups before using diagrams, bur never switching active to passive with a coil split before. You think a beginner could do it?

It depends on your guitar. If its made in USA then CTS matched sets are great. If you have an import guitar they won't fit.

With import guitars one of the only options is Alpha. They're decent but can be inconsistant. A lot of people widen holes in their imports to fit CTS into the cavity.

As for difficulty, if you can operate a soldering iron, you're good to go. It seems pretty daunting at first but it's really easy when you get the hang of it.

Quote:
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
H.I.Shredder808

Quote:
It depends on your guitar. If its made in USA then CTS matched sets are great. If you have an import guitar they won't fit.

With import guitars one of the only options is Alpha. They're decent but can be inconsistant. A lot of people widen holes in their imports to fit CTS into the cavity.

As for difficulty, if you can operate a soldering iron, you're good to go. It seems pretty daunting at first but it's really easy when you get the hang of it.

yeah, crap, its made in korea. Ill look into the brand "alpha" you mentioned, since im not too big of a fan of carving up my guitar without a router and lack the experience necessary to do so.

One last thing, what is CTS?
Takamine G340SC Acoustic
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Carvin Legacy 2
Dunlop 535Q crybaby wah
Whirlwind A/B Selector
Old 10-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
yeah, crap, its made in korea. Ill look into the brand "alpha" you mentioned, since im not too big of a fan of carving up my guitar without a router and lack the experience necessary to do so.

One last thing, what is CTS?

CTS is a brand as well. You could use a tapered reamer instead of a router. That way you can control how much you take off easier.

Metric sized pots should fit in your guitar in that case.

Quote:

Only at times, though.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

if you aren't going to do the work yourself, just take the guitar to the tech and have him install the pickups and appropriate pots. any good tech will go through your options with you and help you pick the right combination of parts.

personally, I would probably get a 500K audio-taper push-pull pot for the volume, and a linear taper 500k pot for the tone (google the different tapers if you want more info). I've always used Dimarzio pots, which are between $8-$15 each, and I've never had an issue with them, and they do seem to be better than generic ones. you'll also need to get a mono output jack and get that wired in. All in, the parts (minus pickups) shouldn't cost more than $35.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
H.I.Shredder808

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
if you aren't going to do the work yourself, just take the guitar to the tech and have him install the pickups and appropriate pots. any good tech will go through your options with you and help you pick the right combination of parts.

personally, I would probably get a 500K audio-taper push-pull pot for the volume, and a linear taper 500k pot for the tone (google the different tapers if you want more info). I've always used Dimarzio pots, which are between $8-$15 each, and I've never had an issue with them, and they do seem to be better than generic ones. you'll also need to get a mono output jack and get that wired in. All in, the parts (minus pickups) shouldn't cost more than $35.

Yeah, im most likely taking it to a tech. Didnt finish the post, sorry. Ill do some research on the different pots available so I know exactly what I want. Probably sticking with dimarzio as opposed to alpha though, seeing that its kinda iffy.

Thanks for the responses and recommendations guys. Got me out of the dark on this one
Takamine G340SC Acoustic
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Carvin Legacy 2
Dunlop 535Q crybaby wah
Whirlwind A/B Selector
Old 10-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Yeah, im most likely taking it to a tech. Didnt finish the post, sorry. Ill do some research on the different pots available so I know exactly what I want. Probably sticking with dimarzio as opposed to alpha though, seeing that its kinda iffy.

Thanks for the responses and recommendations guys. Got me out of the dark on this one

I'm almost 100 percent sure those won't fit in your guitar unless you taper the hole. USA sized and not Metric. Dimarzio doesn't make a metric size pots.

Quote:

Only at times, though.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
H.I.Shredder808

Quote:
I'm almost 100 percent sure those won't fit in your guitar unless you taper the hole. USA sized and not Metric. Dimarzio doesn't make a metric size pots.

Sticking with alhpa I guess. Thanks for the correction, Ill take it to a tech and discuss what my options are exactly. I just dont want them buying any old parts "just to make it work".
Takamine G340SC Acoustic
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Carvin Legacy 2
Dunlop 535Q crybaby wah
Whirlwind A/B Selector
Old 10-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Sticking with alhpa I guess. Thanks for the correction, Ill take it to a tech and discuss what my options are exactly. I just dont want them buying any old parts "just to make it work".

I'm sure the tech could do the tapering work if you really want an upgrade.

Quote:

Only at times, though.

Rate This Thread: