Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-21-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
Thundershock47

Rocksmith Video Game

Starting guitar soon, a yamaha pacifica. I will not be getting lessons, unless a good opportunity comes about, so I need all the help I can get. I've been watching alot of youtube videos and printed out a chord practice sheet. I was considering getting the game rocksmith, for my playstation 3, if you've heard about it, its sort of like guitar hero but with a real guitar.
Does anyone have it? Does it actually help as a begginer teaching tool? Or is it more of just a game? Will it teach me actual chords, or is it just me playing random notes that come across on the screen? Can anyone give me there imput on it if they have it or know someone who has it? Is it Worth the 50$?
thank you
Thundershock47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
Viban
UG's resident bum

I never really learned much of anything from it. Just save yourself some time, find a decent teacher, have him show you some things.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
whyze250f
UG's OCD resident.

It will show you real chords and such, but most users on this forum have agreed its not that great of a way to learn guitar... In my opinion use it to change things up if anything, dont use it as your primary source of learning guitar. It doesnt really teach disicipline which is an important foundation in having solid technique.
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
whyze250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
Darkdevil725
UG Freak

I think Rocksmith is an ideal tool for beginners in all honesty. First time trying to learn how to play can be really difficult and tedious which is why most people who start usually quit within a few weeks, but with Rocksmith it keeps things entertaining and is a good way to practice your scales, chords, bends, speed, and accuracy. For technique that is something you will want to read up on and try to follow it the best you can until you can get a skilled person to show you proper techniques. But overall I think the game does a good job of getting people started and keeping them interested.

Go visit www.justinguitar.com and start with the beginners course, practice that for at least 30 minutes a day then reward your practice with some video game time that also happens to be a game for learning and practicing.

My site for helping those with a low budget find good gear.
Best Budget Guitarist
Also my bad youtube channel.
Guess That Riff
Darkdevil725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:20 AM   #5
jetwash69

I just got it on PC the day it came out.

I'm not going to say it isn't the best way for a beginner to learn because I don't think there is any one best way.

It certainly isn't as good as it could be, and it wouldn't hurt to augment it by asking a good player (or better yet a teacher) for feedback on technique and inevitable questions that will pop up.

You can play Rocksmith like a game or you can use it as a learning tool. It has arcade style games that help refine specific skills (like Ducks for memorizing where the frets are without looking at the neck). It also has a similar layout to Guitar Hero for showing you what notes to play. I think an interface like Guitar Pro (real tabs) would be better, but it might not be as intuitive for beginners.

What it won't teach you is how to read tabs or how to read music--it doesn't use notation at all.

It does teach actual chords, but within the context of the songs they're used in.

The hardest part to overcome is that the graphics doesn't always stay in synch with the music (or how it's grading your timing)--at least on my PC; it might be better in a game console since there isn't so much else going on. So you do better on it when you get some sense of what notes go where in the song and you play along with what you hear more than what you see.

Another thing I think is a bit of a drawback is it dumbs down what it tells you to play until you can play that well, then it slowly builds up to what is really being played. There's pros and cons to that. Pro: makes it easier for pure beginners. Con: It doesn't teach you the right way to play the song for real from the beginning; you're learning a fraction of what's there and gradually filling in the blanks. With other methods (like Guitar Pro) you can play along with the score at whatever speed you want, so you can learn the right thing right away, at your own pace.

Yes, you can use learning tools in there to slow it down (and you can even set it to show you everything right off the bat), but then you don't get much control over how fast it goes and you can only see the song in chunks (intro, verse, chorus, solo, etc.) and have to do all those settins manually each time. That's an incredible pain in the butt.

The worst part is it doesn't have a way to play along with a metronome. You play along with the real song, so you still get a sense of timing from the drums and other instruments, but that is not as effective as a metronome.

I'd recommend you buy it and get Guitar Pro also. Between those two products, watching YouTube videos, using the Search Bar in the forums here, and consulting with a teacher as required, you should be off to a good start. It wouldn't hurt to learn music theory, too--if you don't already know it from other instruments.

That's just my opinion. You're not going to find much consenus on this matter here. Just remember people have different learning styles and many of the people posting here have biases that are hard for them to get over. One of them is I've seen people who rely on teachers from a young age having difficulty teaching themselves other things and having difficulty with their own creativity. My opinion is affected by my own biases, but I'm not a music teacher or in the industry in any way, so at least it's not about money for me.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:19 AM   #6
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

I've played Rocksmith since it was released over a year ago, and just bought another copy for my computer.

I find it to be very enjoyable, and it certainly helps build dexterity and knowledge of the fretboard.

I disagree with a lot of the cons that jetwash lists, but I really do not feel like writing an essay.

The game can adjust to how good you are, that is a real bonus so even though you may not be able to play everything right away, you can still jam to some of your favorite songs. It is fun and it makes practicing fun.

Problems with the video/music and your input not matching up are 100% a result of user failure and not the game. A simple look at the instruction manual and the ubisoft forums would reveal what you've done wrong to cause input lag. Hint: Don't use HDMI for audio when you're using TVs, and on PC you need to adjust buffer settings based on your computer's speed.

Last edited by TunerAddict : 10-21-2012 at 04:21 AM.
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Rocksmith is a liability. There are lots of decent guitar lessons and tabs online that will make you a better guitar player a lot faster. The game is fundamentally flawed because the game lags and it doesn't allow you to adjust the difficulty unless you play well. So you have to start from very basic all the way to pro before you actually start playing the song properly.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 10-21-2012 at 12:15 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Darkdevil725
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Rocksmith is a liability. There are lots of decent guitar lessons and tabs online that will make you a better guitar player a lot faster. The game is fundamentally flawed because the game lags and it doesn't allow you to adjust the difficulty unless you play well. So you have to start from very basic all the way to pro before you actually start playing the song properly.

What lag? I play the game all the time and there is no lag for me what so ever. Not to mention the game was meant more for people who are just starting and have barely been playing at all so of course the game is going to start everyone off out as a complete beginner but the game continues to get slightly more difficult the better you play to keep pushing you, the game never stays at a level that is totally easy for you unless you are intentionally screwing up to keep it easy.

Best Budget Guitarist
Guess That Riff
Old 10-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdevil725
What lag?

When i tried it once, the game didn't respond to what i was playing very quickly.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
Darkdevil725
UG Freak

Quote:
When i tried it once, the game didn't respond to what i was playing very quickly.

Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
Problems with the video/music and your input not matching up are 100% a result of user failure and not the game. A simple look at the instruction manual and the ubisoft forums would reveal what you've done wrong to cause input lag. Hint: Don't use HDMI for audio when you're using TVs, and on PC you need to adjust buffer settings based on your computer's speed.

Even though I use a HDMI and get no lag, I still fully agree with this.

Best Budget Guitarist
Guess That Riff
Old 10-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
stepchildusmc

i play with my rocksmith sometimes. it does lag for me of i forget to change from my HDMI cable( that did take me some time to figure out as i almost never read the instructions...its a guy thing).
i think it can be a very useful tool for beginners if a good teacher is not possible. i wouldn;t use it as my main form of instruction, too many good sites like justinguitar,com to help start out. it is very entertaining to play and can offer considerable help, i just wouldn't depend on it as my main source of info.
i think that any source of help to a beginner would be beneficial. its a difficult hobby to get started in, especially if you don't have someone else with more experience to guide you as the TS is implying. all of us here know how hard the initial couple of weeks/months can be. anything that keeps our TS interested and trying is great.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

Quote:

You can set mastery level to whatever percent of the song you want. If you want to be forced into it at 100%, then you just set it to 100%.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #13
Darkdevil725
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
You can set mastery level to whatever percent of the song you want. If you want to be forced into it at 100%, then you just set it to 100%.

When did they add that cause I dont remember seeing a setting to do that.

I may have to check that out cause I wouldnt mind being pushed a little more on some of the songs that I have trouble with.

Best Budget Guitarist
Guess That Riff
Old 10-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
Heideck

rocksmith is good, but a teacher is good to learn and correct the mistake you do. Playing in front of a mirror to see yourself play is very good too

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Heideck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #15
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdevil725
When did they add that cause I dont remember seeing a setting to do that.

I may have to check that out cause I wouldnt mind being pushed a little more on some of the songs that I have trouble with.

They patched it at some point in time. You can go to the riff repeater section and set mastery from within it.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:39 AM   #16
jetwash69

@ TunerAddict & Darkdevil725 re: lag...

Cool Story Bros.

It's on a self-contained computer, not using HDMI.

And the problem gets worse the longer I have it on (over a 4 hour period). I didn't see anyhing in the manual saying I had to shut off the game every hour and get back in. I tried the buffer thing a couple of days ago but that doesn't change as the performance degrades. Guess the bug is in the part of the game that scrolls the notes, not in the part where you set the buffer.

Got anything useful for us about that, or is your knowledge limited to GIYF?

@ TunerAddict re: "Mastery settings"...

That's what I was talking about in my other post when I said you have to do it individually for different parts of the song. Also it doesn't have any way for you to directly dial in the speed it plays. The "Accelerator" mode tries to detect the speed you can play, but it's not user friendly like Guitar Pro where you can set it to play at any percentage of the tempo you want from 1% to 398% and loop steady or at a progression of your choice. Also GP lets you loop exactly what you want to the note, whereas with Rocksmith you can only do it in the pre-determined chunks they programmed it.

That's what I meant when I said you can control how many of the notes you see, but that it's an incredible pain in the ass.

I'm not sure why you're getting your panties in a bunch, TunerAddict. I do recommend Rocksmith; I just don't blindly believe that they couldn't have made it any better than it is--becauset that would not have been hard at all.

Not too long ago I was in the modeling and simulation business; developing training software. I know what these software companies can do when they put their mind to it. Rocksmith is a great idea; better executed than its competitors, but it is far from being as good as it could be. Don't kid yourself that it's ideal. If you really think so, then go to a serious modeling and sim trade show and learn the art of the possible.

As somebody else mentioned, Rocksmith certainly could help keep a beginner motivated through the difficult period where so many would-be guitarists quit. And I agree that's a good thing.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #17
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist

As an extra aid, it's good and adds a lot of fun to playing. As a sole way of learning, it's not that great. It will teach you basics but you need other sources to help you really improve.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #18
richardlpalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundershock47
Starting guitar soon, a yamaha pacifica. I will not be getting lessons, unless a good opportunity comes about, so I need all the help I can get. I've been watching alot of youtube videos and printed out a chord practice sheet. I was considering getting the game rocksmith, for my playstation 3, if you've heard about it, its sort of like guitar hero but with a real guitar.
Does anyone have it? Does it actually help as a begginer teaching tool? Or is it more of just a game? Will it teach me actual chords, or is it just me playing random notes that come across on the screen? Can anyone give me there imput on it if they have it or know someone who has it? Is it Worth the 50$?
thank you

I have it and enjoyed playing what I played on it -- and will be playing some more on a DLC pack my son just bought.

If you're a beginning guitarist and don't want to get lessons I don't see ANYTHING wrong with using Rocksmith and YouTube. Someone mentioned justinguitar but there's also http://www.guitarjamz.com/ (his YouTube channel is amazing).

I wouldn't read too much into people's opinions here. Like any forum, an opinion can form amongst members based on popularity of the members -- rather than the validity of the opinion.

We recently got the Rocksmith Bass version and my son is loving it. He really struggled with bass until getting the game. He now plays an hour or more each day and his friends are coming over to play as well (on guitar). And therein lies the cool part of it. If you're into video games at all, you might just love it. And if you like/love it, you'll most likely use it. And if you use it that means you're going to put some time into it. That will result in improvement like nothing else can.

I definitely suggest watching some YouTube videos on how to start playing. I got Rocksmith when it first came out so things may have changed by now, but it didn't have much in the way of how to hold the pick, how to hold the guitar, where to place your fingering hand, etc.

I see a guy being able to start playing on RS, watching a how-to video on YouTube and practicing again and again on RS. Could be the wave of the future for music instruction, maybe not.

It doesn't teach how to read music or tabs. But honestly, you can learn tab by watching instruction on YouTube if you need it. And how many people learned to play guitar by "their buddy showing them"? Plenty. And many are fantastic rock stars. If you get to the point where you want to understand more theory, then look it up on YouTube -- or at that stage of your playing maybe you'll want some lessons.

Good luck and have fun! Whatever motivates you to continue playing is the "right" instruction tool.

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
richardlpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #19
JackJackSuited

You will have to do a lot of work outside of the game but that's to be expected. A lot of the people that criticize it seem to do it on the basis that it's no magic bullet and won't "teach" you guitar. There IS no magic bullet and nothing but dedication and work can teach anyone guitar.

That said, it's the reason I was inspired to stick with guitar this past year, 7 years after buying my first guitar and not learning a thing before this game. This game kept it fun for the first few weeks that I played it exclusively.
Now I play along with the game less, but practice technique with riffs I learned from the game, knowing that when I improve I can bring this back into the game and progress the song.

Anyone that says the game isn't good for improving is using it wrong.
JackJackSuited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #20
slapsymcdougal
Funyuns ho!

My main objection is that it wants me to play RHCP, and I really don't want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurfzone
you're winning this argument and i don't like it.
slapsymcdougal is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: