Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #21
Malazan66

I just bought a VYPYR 75 and I love it. Been practicing with an old Jackson PS-4. Think I'm going the Schecter route when the time comes
Malazan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #22
TuningGamer
2 years and going strong

I would like to point out that the Vypyr 60 Tube (the only 60 watt vypyr there is) is a hybrid with tubes in them and therefore is probably going to sound MUCH better than the 30 watt. It's also a whole lot louder. I wouldn't recommend it as a practice/beginner amp, really.

Secondly, as I have experience with the Vox VT's as well, I would like to point out that, although I love the VT-series a lot, it may not have enough gain for your musical tastes. I play lots of metal and don't have any issues with it, but for the heavy stuff you listed in your posts, I'm just not sure.

Vypyr 30: good for metal, but may sound a bit 'digital'
Vypyr 60: seems to be great sounding, but expensive and loud for a beginner
Vox VT-series: sound good for rock/blues/hard rock/some metal, but maybe not for the stuff you want to play

Try them all, see what you like.

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowthewitch
The actual correct answer
TuningGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #23
kramer242

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuningGamer
I would like to point out that the Vypyr 60 Tube (the only 60 watt vypyr there is) is a hybrid with tubes in them and therefore is probably going to sound MUCH better than the 30 watt. It's also a whole lot louder. I wouldn't recommend it as a practice/beginner amp, really.

Secondly, as I have experience with the Vox VT's as well, I would like to point out that, although I love the VT-series a lot, it may not have enough gain for your musical tastes. I play lots of metal and don't have any issues with it, but for the heavy stuff you listed in your posts, I'm just not sure.

Vox VT-series: sound good for rock/blues/hard rock/some metal, but maybe not for the stuff you want to play

I messed around with a vt already and it was amazing but agree with the amp gain. Short of getting a distortion pedal it may be low and the vts are a bit more than vyprs which could cut you a little short. I preferred the vox i tested a bit before I got the vypr but for me the 100 dollars I saved made up for the slight improvements offered by the vox.
kramer242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #24
miio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer242
I messed around with a vt already and it was amazing but agree with the amp gain. Short of getting a distortion pedal it may be low and the vts are a bit more than vyprs which could cut you a little short. I preferred the vox i tested a bit before I got the vypr but for me the 100 dollars I saved made up for the slight improvements offered by the vox.

Ehh, Vox VT 20+ is currently around 130-150$ and Vypyr 30 is 180-200$. I give my vote to the Vox VT 20+ since I have played it more than the Vypyr and I like the Vox a bit more. But yeah, you definitely can't go wrong with either.
miio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #25
kramer242

Yeah. I was looking at bitter ones and in that area vypr was much cheaper. My mistake
kramer242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #26
evmac
Baroness Lover

I owned a Vypyr 30 and played it constantly for about a year or two. It was a great amp, but too loud for my small apartment, so I got a small Spider 15 watt for free. It's overall a much better amp than the Spider for starters.

However, there is NOT a huge difference between the tube and the SS Vypyr, other than the tube is better a higher volumes. Though I have not played a 75 or 100 watt SS version. My band member plays a Vypyr tube and when I had my 30 watt, I realistically couldn't tell the difference at comparable volumes. I was really impressed with the SS version, but get a higher watt version if you're going to play live. I can tell both are modelling amps and somewhat lacking in comparison to other higher end tube amps, though they're still good amps.
evmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #27
Jeeves24
The Magnificent

Definitely go with the Vypyr. At that price range, it will give you the best tone to suit your styles, it does come with it's own built-in distortion. And for the guitar, anything with a humbucker will work, really, but that Schecter is nice...

And the obligatory gear list:
Schecter C-1 Exotic w/ BareKnuckle Nailbombs
Bugera 6260
Ernie Ball VP Jr, TC Electronics Corona Chorus, MXR Carbon Copy, Mr Black Eterna reverb
Jeeves24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:43 AM   #28
Metallic9896

Thanks kramer242, Jeeves24, and evmac your posts helped a lot

Last edited by Metallic9896 : 10-24-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Metallic9896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #29
Metallic9896

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuningGamer

Hmm......that's some important stuff you mentioned (Or at least according to me), thanks, posts like these are all I need.
Metallic9896 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: