Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
nightwalker903

Listenings to different bands/genres to spark creativity?

Anyone else do this?

trying to write more songs now as I am really getting back into music again.
And sometimes something pops in my head and I write it down but then struggle to write anything else.

So I end up with a load of random verses and choruses but nothing else and anything I do write tends to feel like filler.

I really like people who can express themselves and make you feel how they do through their music. Or someone who doesn't beat around the bush.
My fave band is Guns N' Roses and its hard to disagree that Axl speaks his mind and when I was younger as well as listening to rock/punk/metal I liked rap music because alot of them can express themselves, I've started listening to the likes of 2Pac and if you take away all the N words (don't know whether its acceptable to say it) it's very expressive and he spoke his mind.

Eminem did too back in the day. So now I'm trying to listen to hip hop/rap because when I do I feel what they are saying and it sort of inspires me but I tend to feel like I'm copying them.

But how do they do it? How do they just channel all their energy into a song.

I know my life is pretty dandy, got a job, might not be driving a BMW and living in a mansion but with todays economy a jobs a job, nothing complicated really goes on, just a straight living, straight forward kinda guy. Hardly great song writing inspiration. Do people tend to write about real life or do they just make things up.

I just feel stuck in a rut lyrically, like I want to say something but nothing ever comes out

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Blackstar HT-1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass

Last edited by nightwalker903 : 10-21-2012 at 02:33 PM.
nightwalker903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Green_Ghoul

Just keep at it. Don't force it. Good things will come with time. Listening to new tunes might help you out.

I'm not even close to where I would like to be in terms of songwriting, so I keep practicing and keep trying.

To be honest, I think that all of my lyrics are pretty bland and very simple and that my instrumentals are even worse....but both are significantly better than when I started writing.
Green_Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
ffaf12

Tool.tool is the answer my friend. Listen and let your mind become an open book of insight and freedom of expression
ffaf12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
whywefight
pray I pray I pray

Absolutely broadening your music tastes helps.

Tool is not the answer. It is part of the answer, however.
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaf12
Tool.tool is the answer my friend. Listen and let your mind become an open book of insight and freedom of expression

Lolno.

Try something that's different from what you listen to, entirely different. It could be anything. Sometimes you find it in odd places, like Cracked articles. I've been using some influence from these songs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
captsnow

Edit: on topic, as others have said, try listening to something different, i used to listen to mostly rock/metal but a friend introduced me to this and i have since gotten into jazz. I have found it has helped me think more outside the box. Everyone goes through points where you have no inspiration but as long as you keep trying, eventually it will come back

Last edited by captsnow : 10-21-2012 at 03:43 PM.
captsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
nightwalker903

some great advice and some great examples of music posted.

i decided to go out and buy a 2pac cd yesterday just for a change and it is refreshing listening to something different.
think my whole interest in rap again came from a boring few days watching 2pac conspiracy videos. And I did write some lyrics based upon different theories to do with that subject as well as other government conspiracy theories etc and it was going well.

even got some inspiration for the music, going to be quite dark sounding but with a bit of Civil War - GN'R influence in there think that song also fits well as inspiration

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Blackstar HT-1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
nightwalker903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
spudsisnumber1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwalker903
I know my life is pretty dandy, got a job, might not be driving a BMW and living in a mansion but with todays economy a jobs a job, nothing complicated really goes on, just a straight living, straight forward kinda guy. Hardly great song writing inspiration. Do people tend to write about real life or do they just make things up.

Why would your life have to be bad to write about it (at least thats what i got from what you said ) MAybe you could write about how you feel instead of how you live?
spudsisnumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
Snotfish
whacktacular

I do some writing on the parts of my life but a lot of times i takea small thing that happened to me and completely expand on it fictionally. Listening to bands that are out of the norm for you helps tremendously
Old 11-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
ZILtoid_1991

I got into jazz and classic throught my guitar teacher, I got into electro-industrial throught Devin Townsend's guitar work for Front Line Assembly. Later I listened some trance and techno. Also I got some soundtrack albums when metal starts to bore me.
ZILtoid_1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #11
jake2412

when i cant think of something of my own life to write about,i either make up a fictional story (im alot better at writing stories and just about everything else instinctually but music doesnt come easy-nice to have a challenge) or i look at someone else's experiences or something that happened to them that i may have strong views or feelings about. it should be something you feel strongly about or, as fictional stories go,would feel very strongly about..anything to spark emotion,because its more about bringing out emotion than it is being clever with words
jake2412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: