Old 10-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #41
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andalus
Thank you for stating the obvious.

Quote:
But, if you want to appeal to a mass audience (a perfectly reasonable thing to aspire to), you're going to either need a singer or have some seriously interesting music.

That depends entirely on the genre.

Quote:
Fact of the matter is, I, and most other people, find instrumentals to be a bit boring - especially in large quantities.

Seeing as most other people are exactly like you how could I possibly disagree?

Quote:
What is there to sing along to?

Heck you're right. The Moonlight Sonata, the Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia, the 1812 overture - what could you possibly sing along to there?

Quote:
Sure, you could always hum the notes but it's not the same

Absolutely not.

Quote:
, which is why you rarely find instrumental bands that are successful in front of a live audience.

Indeed
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #42
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Again, it's not all the music you will ever write. Sometimes it's cool to have an instrumental band but when you want to get famous, maybe look for bands with a singer or find a singer for your band (or learn to sing). People usually write songs for different situations. Some songs are just for themselves, some are for their instrumental jamming band and some are for their pop band for example. People always have some projects besides their "serious" band. So don't worry, some time you will write music with lyrics. And I wouldn't be too concerned if the music sells or not. If it sells, it sells and if it doesn't it doesn't. Maybe try something else if it doesn't and nobody wants to hear it. But I'm pretty sure somebody will come and check you out when you play live. There are always people who like your music (and always people who dislike your music). You don't need to play in front of 10000 people to be famous enough to earn some money. There are many bands that do club gigs and you haven't ever heard of them but there are always people who go and see them.

Also Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Metallica... They all have long instrumental parts in their songs and some songs are completely instrumental. You can have some songs with vocals and some with instruments only. Do what the song needs. If it works as an instrumental then great and if it doesn't, write some lyrics. You don't need to only write stuff with lyrics or with instruments only. You can write both. And if you can't come up with lyrics, show your song to somebody who could write lyrics for it. Many bands don't even write their own stuff. It's the record company or somebody who writes their songs and they just play them.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #43
Hail
kill both bass players

that beethoven guy's pretty popular, who sung for him again?
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:04 AM   #44
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

^ Yeah, there are lots of people who listen to classical music and most of classical is instrumental. And people also go to classical music concerts.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Old 10-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #45
skilly1

Your guitar playing will have to be good to keep the listener interested without lyrics,
songs that spring to mind when I think of good songs without lyrics
Peter Frampton - double nickels, black hole sun
Joe satriani - surfing with the alien, actually lots of satch songs
skilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #46
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
that beethoven guy's pretty popular, who sung for him again?

Yes, Beethoven is a house name. Everyone knows at least (at the very least) One of his compositions. But i would say out out everyone who listens to music, less than 3% of that population actually LISTENS to him. I don't consider that to be popular. Not when compared to the countless other people who aren't even that big but still get a lot of listens - My Morning Jacket, Fleet Foxes, etc.

And then compare that to the people who are HUGE, Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Radiohead, etc.

Basically, if your goal is to be a rockstar, then being any less than the last group is failing that goal. And what do all of the people in that group have in common (and in the second group as well) - They have LYRICS. They have words that can connect to the average person and that they can relate to.

I think that, if your goal is to make music that TS wants to make, then go for it, more power to ya, but don't expect to be selling the same as these groups. If you don't mind not selling that amount, then it's all good. But, if your goal (and ego) is to sell out 10,000 seat stadiums and tour the world making millions while having the hottest girls throw their underwear at you on stage and have orgies with a dozen women and have heaps of cocaine...
Well, you get my point. Make some lyrical music, or make dub step.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #47
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
^ Yeah, there are lots of people who listen to classical music and most of classical is instrumental. And people also go to classical music concerts.

Not much headbanging though. Apparently it's frowned upon. Tsk. Classicists are such snobs.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #48
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack

And then compare that to the people who are HUGE, Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Radiohead, etc.

lol none of them are huge they're so 2009 where'd you hear that from you silly

and dub is SO 2008

and fake dub is SO 2010

most of the people who think music is fad-y don't really even follow any of the fads. not that you're wrong about vocal music being obviously big, but that's a consequence of the environment moreso than it being invariably "better". plenty of instrumental bands are getting a following lately - if you make music that's good, you'll be fine. look at bonobo, look at crystal castles (they have a vocalist but honestly she's more of a frontperson than a singer), look at basically any late 00 electronic or prog metal artist/band and it's unlikely you'll find a high concentration of vocalists who do much that you would consider catchy or pleasing to the ear outside of that (arguably large) niche.

but yeah i'm just arguing to argue as usual so ignore me

Last edited by Hail : 10-27-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #49
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
Yes, Beethoven is a house name. Everyone knows at least (at the very least) One of his compositions. But i would say out out everyone who listens to music, less than 3% of that population actually LISTENS to him. I don't consider that to be popular. Not when compared to the countless other people who aren't even that big but still get a lot of listens - My Morning Jacket, Fleet Foxes, etc.

Basically, if your goal is to be a rockstar, then being any less than the last group is failing that goal. And what do all of the people in that group have in common (and in the second group as well) - They have LYRICS. They have words that can connect to the average person and that they can relate to.

I think that, if your goal is to make music that TS wants to make, then go for it, more power to ya, but don't expect to be selling the same as these groups. If you don't mind not selling that amount, then it's all good. But, if your goal (and ego) is to sell out 10,000 seat stadiums and tour the world making millions while having the hottest girls throw their underwear at you on stage and have orgies with a dozen women and have heaps of cocaine...
Well, you get my point. Make some lyrical music, or make dub step.

It's very unlikely to become as famous as Lady Gaga even if you were making same kind of music as her. And 3% of all music listeners is pretty damn much. Selling 10000 records worldwide is also pretty much. You won't be recognized when you walk on the street (and I think that's a good thing) but you still can make your living with it. Also Beethoven is like 300 years old so if somebody still listened to your music after 300 years, I would consider that pretty popular. You don't need to play in front of 10000 people to be famous enough. I mean, who even wants to be that popular. You can be a rockstar even if you weren't in that "Lady Gaga, Radiohead..." group. And I wouldn't aim that high. That's just ridiculous and you won't get there even though you tried hard. Just make the music you like but try to perfect it. You can make the same song well and not so well.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Rate This Thread: