Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
jalaniftw

Overall guitar help needed

So long story short i got stuck with this D'Angelico guitar. I got the Ex-Dc thin line with bigsby. Now i need to change out the bridge, the strings keep falling out of place when i finger pick or bend. Also the intonation is off and i need to get that adjusted. So my question is, how much and which, bridge should i get, and how much would all this cost me?
jalaniftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
LeviMan_2001

Stuck with? Looks like a nice guitar. The strings popping out is most likely break angle rather than the bridge itself. How do you have the strings run through the bigsby? What kind of bigsby is it? Also, look up a video on youtube about intonation. It's quite easy to adjust.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
jalaniftw

haha sorry let me rephrase that, it is a nice guitar. Nicely made, i just need to do a lot of things to do it thats all. The type of bigsby, I'm not sure heres a picture of it, just click on the sunburst one.http://guitarsnjazz.com/products/da...nd-semi/nysd-t/. What do you mean by break angle?
jalaniftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:03 AM   #4
LeviMan_2001

Break angle is the angle of how the strings run over the bridge (in this case, it can also apply to the nut). Now if you imagine a tighter angle, the strings will be held tighter against the bridge saddles (and thus not pop out). If you've noticed some other bigsbys have that extra rolly bit that the strings go under, this is to tighten the break angle down. Now yours doesn't have that, which is fine because it's an arch top which should tighten that angle down. But! You're obviously having an issue, so somehow we need tighten up that angle. You might be able to string it so the ball ends go on the pegs and then the strings wrap over the top and then come back out the bottom to tighten up that angle. Unless you already have it strung that way haha then who knows! Hope that makes sense!

Rate This Thread: