Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy

RedDeath9's Guitar Pro Compositions

Sup. I'm basically making this thread to make my sig a little bit more compact. Also I think it'd be cool to do one of these anyways. So, here's all the stuff I've written since my composition skills actually became respectable. Enjoy.

Swamp: Includes an RPG theme and its metalized version. In the VGM, I was going for a hazy... swamp... sound. As for influences, I can't really say. There's the obvious Uematsu and Mitsuda, but besides that I can't think of anything. I honestly have no idea what the influences were for the metal version. Meshuggah, Textures, post-metal bands, and still more video game music I consider the metal version to be miles above the RPG version, by the way.

Futile: Ah, yes, Futile. I think this was my transition into finally writing the sort of music I wanted to hear. Dissonant and consonant by turns, twisting melodies and chord progressions, intense, dynamic, jazzy, deathy, JazzDeath-y There are a certain set of emotions that I go for in my music (or, that my music tends towards), and... I feel like, with this song, I was finally starting to get to that point where I was able to utilize the melodic tools that I had effectively to invoke those emotions. Or something. Influences for this one: Martyr, Gorguts, Anata, Necrophagist, Dream Theater, |_JR_|, JazzDeath, Yasunori Mitsuda, Koji Kondo, and Nobuo Uematsu.

Sociopath: This is a weird one, an RPG theme for whom I felt would be a pretty good sociopathic character. At this point, I still didn't really know how to utilize orchestral instruments effectively (esp. contrabass ), but I feel the song turned out well anyways. Biggest influence on this one would probably be Nobuo Uematsu, along with Yasunori Mitsuda and Koji Kondo.

Circles: Another odd one. I think I started writing this one earlier than the above songs, and only finished it once I had gotten "good." I'm pretty surprised at myself at how well some parts of this song turned out. I really went all-out jazzy on this one, inspired by the likes of Tribal Tech, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra. Other than that, it's pretty much progressive metal, influenced by Pain of Salvation, Andromeda, Blotted Science, and other shit.

Standing Before the Precipice (with Tarbosh): I don't even know what to say about this one. It is easily the best thing I've ever written, but it was not an individual effort. Tarbosh and I wrote it together. I remember working on it day after day in April of 2011, when I should have been studying for exams Needless to say, it was worth it. We posted it a few days after my last exam, after spending a couple of days working on the story. Honestly, I have no idea how we came up with this song. I consider it almost perfect. The way it develops astonishes even me I know I sound arrogant as hell, but I don't care. I don't know if I'll ever be able to top this.

Closing the Book: Ah, back to the shitty music that I write on my own Oh well. This song is weird in that, I consciously just wanted to make it a solid song. A song that people would look at on an album and be like, "Yes, that is a solid song." Not epic, grandiose, mind-blowing - Just solid. I think it got epic anyways At least I tried. It's probably the closest thing I've written to standard progressive metal. Obvious influences are Nevermore and Opeth. (I actually wrote parts with Warrel Dane's vocals in mind).

Spirals Pt. 1: This is probably the best prog metal song I've written on my own, and with it, I once again managed to get closer to eliciting that certain mix of emotions that I want in my music. I've also managed to blend jazz and metal better than I've ever been able to in the past. Or at least, it seems like I was really able to control it in this song. I've never been able to do that before - back then, any jazz that turned out well was pretty much just due to luck.

It's funny. The first three bars of track 1 of the intro, I had written literally years ago. Back when I was in high school. It was only last winter that I opened up that file again and thought, "Hmmmm..." Imagine if I had never done that ...

I'm currently working part 2 of this song. I was actually more excited about the parts I had written for Pt. 2 than for Pt. 1. So, hopefully it'll turn out as epic as I hope.

Oh, right, noticeable influences. Gorguts, Anata, Opeth, PoS, Nevermore, those three video game composers I always mention, and... Yeah.

MetaMagus: This is a metal version of Magus' Theme from Chrono Trigger and Taking Over the Halberd from Kirby Super Star. It actually contains only one riff from Kirby, and the rest is from Magus' Theme. It's kinda cool, I guess. A few original solos thrown in, as well as a cool melody over Magus' Theme in the outro. In my opinion, the outro is definitely the highlight of this song (and not just because people get excited that the song is about to end).

That's it for now. There are a couple songs that should be in here, but I haven't made threads for them yet (e.g., From Summer to Autumn, a town theme I made for the RPG soundtrack collab). I'll add stuff to this as necessary.

By the way, if you decide to crit these, it's all C4C. Bye.

P.S., I did feel vain as hell writing all of that.

Also, I did it all to fit your quote in my sig, Ometh.

This creature sleeps beyond the flow of time

Last edited by RedDeath9 : 10-21-2012 at 08:22 PM.
RedDeath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation

Can't crit ATM, but I really like your stuff.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy

Thanks man

Old 06-17-2013, 03:58 AM   #4
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy

More stuff to put in here.

Thresholds Collapse (with Tarbosh): This thing is massive. I wouldn't consider it as "streamlined" or "compact" as Standing Before the Precipice, but it is... special in its own way. There were so many unused riffs that came out of this one, probably coulda made like 3 songs out of just those... Maybe that's what we'll do... Anyways, the breadth of soundscapes in this song makes SBTP look like a simple stroll through the park. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but hey, I enjoy it.

From Summer to Autumn: Just a peaceful little RPG town theme I came up with. I actually remember writing the intro at my ex's place on morning, just for shits and giggles. I'm not sure what compelled me to continue it. Ah! Maybe it was that UG 8-bit album? I dunno. In any case, I like this for what it is - A simple town theme with a catchy hook :3

Ascension (Final Boss Theme): Probably one of my most ambitious RPG themes to date. It all started the weird intro that I wrote in the UG orchestral collab, and it just took off from there. This contains probably one of the coolest climaxes I've ever written at 153, and I think it influenced my emphasis on... simple yet powerful chord progressions in my future works.

Spirals pt. 2: Part 2 of the Spirals... Well, it was meant to be a trilogy, but it looks like it may turn out to be a 4 or 5 part thing now. Contains a lot of reused themes from Spirals pt. 1 (some of them a bit more obvious than others). This is without a doubt my most ambitious metal song yet, and there are a lot of parts I'm super proud of. Like that outro. I'm so glad I got the chance to write that Imagine if I hadn't had that whim, at that moment... Funny how composing works.

Sunlit Gardens: Happy as fuck, no regrets. Wrote this in the spring some time, as Vancouver's sun was finally beginning to show, I think. I actually wrote this in like one day. A new record.

Lost Woods: A progressive metal cover of Saria's Song and the Forest Temple music, with a bit of the Song of Healing thrown in. If you've heard these songs, you'll notice that I took some liberties with my interpretation But hey, that's art, or something. I actually really enjoy this, for what it is. I feel like the outro was a bit rushed, but goddamn it was over ten minutes long already, I had to end it somewhere.

Last edited by RedDeath9 : 09-21-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
bloodshed344
UG Newbie

I'll check it out. I remember liking your stuff. Will edit this with some reviews eventually.
bloodshed344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
~Flounder~
Trance/Metal Synth player

Closing the Book. Measure 129. Needs to be a flute+Vibraphone instead of Tenor Sax. please?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy

Hmm, something like this? I remember you recommending the same thing when you first heard it
Attached Files
File Type: zip Closing the Book v2.zip (12.4 KB, 19 views)

Old 07-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #8
|_JR_|
Something awkward.

Hey you're still active, awesome. Definitely need to listen to this stuff with time - for now I'm at your Lost Woods cover thing having never listened to whatever music you're trying to cover, and all I can say is you haven't lost it.

[edited] Okay, I'll try to give a proper comment on the Spirals duo, because gotta love the heavy jazzprog style, amirite?

Part 1: for starters, it reminds me a lot of Standing Before the Precipice in some points. Not at all a bad thing, but was it conscious? I felt like maybe you were trying to segue from that song at least conceptually. But I guess it might just be the i-VII progression that you use a lot in both. Also I should warn you - my taste has changed a little over the years. I realized that I was tryharding the technical aspect of my songs way too much and not focusing on making them wholesome and deliberate. So now I listen to yours and it overwhelms me a little bit at times. My fault! But I can tell you where I really got rolling with this one - 117-120 riff, almost at the end. That stuff is all the sex, is complex/original but catchy at the same time. It's also one of the riffs that really reminds me of Precipice.

Part 2: the first few riffs of this one are where I got most of the overwhelming feeling. I think it's the drums tbh, because as soon as bar 12 hits it feels fantastic again. Love slap basslines and solos to match. Let's see, what else is all the sex here? Ah, the interlude. Super cute. I would personally go for a more subdued lead in this section, but this works equally well. Chorus 3. Super cute. The interlude 2 for being sexy in the dirty way. And the human section for including djent influences without making an ass out of yourself as I did with a failed attempt a while ago.

well, not much to say really, gg wp no re, in terms of musical craftsmanship and technique you are still miles ahead of me just like three years ago, and hope to see more of this in the future, you did say there are more parts coming so get at it. chop chop.

old myspace

Last edited by |_JR_| : 07-10-2013 at 01:46 PM.
|_JR_| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by |_JR_|
Hey you're still active, awesome. Definitely need to listen to this stuff with time - for now I'm at your Lost Woods cover thing having never listened to whatever music you're trying to cover, and all I can say is you haven't lost it.

[edited] Okay, I'll try to give a proper comment on the Spirals duo, because gotta love the heavy jazzprog style, amirite?

Part 1: for starters, it reminds me a lot of Standing Before the Precipice in some points. Not at all a bad thing, but was it conscious? I felt like maybe you were trying to segue from that song at least conceptually. But I guess it might just be the i-VII progression that you use a lot in both. Also I should warn you - my taste has changed a little over the years. I realized that I was tryharding the technical aspect of my songs way too much and not focusing on making them wholesome and deliberate. So now I listen to yours and it overwhelms me a little bit at times. My fault! But I can tell you where I really got rolling with this one - 117-120 riff, almost at the end. That stuff is all the sex, is complex/original but catchy at the same time. It's also one of the riffs that really reminds me of Precipice.

Part 2: the first few riffs of this one are where I got most of the overwhelming feeling. I think it's the drums tbh, because as soon as bar 12 hits it feels fantastic again. Love slap basslines and solos to match. Let's see, what else is all the sex here? Ah, the interlude. Super cute. I would personally go for a more subdued lead in this section, but this works equally well. Chorus 3. Super cute. The interlude 2 for being sexy in the dirty way. And the human section for including djent influences without making an ass out of yourself as I did with a failed attempt a while ago.

well, not much to say really, gg wp no re, in terms of musical craftsmanship and technique you are still miles ahead of me just like three years ago, and hope to see more of this in the future, you did say there are more parts coming so get at it. chop chop.

Thanks for the crits, man. I've been working a bit on giving my songs more 'breathing room,' to focus a bit less on technicality, but that has failed so far. 227-253 of Pt. 2 was my attempt at it - I could have spaced that part out waay more. I honestly am trying to simplify my music, but it's just so... hard.

The similarity to SBTP is coincidental. Well, granted, there's no doubt that I like to use certain chord progressions, but I didn't consciously make them similar.

Also, that last part is bullshit. IT'S BULLSHIT AND YOU KNOW IT! I heard your newest GP songs a little while ago, and needless to say I was impressed (crits will come soon). But, more than that, your songs made me want to become better. I thought I was happy with where I was, in terms of musical craftsmanship, but then I heard your stuff, and... Yeah. It's pushing me to improve. So that's awesome

Rate This Thread: