Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

Looking for a new practice amp

I have an ampeg v50h and its too loud to get desired tone I want for everyday practice for two reasons a) neighbors b) its deafingly loud. So I'm looking for a good sounding practice amp because im at the point i desctice amp on the cheap because I am at the point where I truely despise my valvestate, it can do death but that's about it. Budget $150 and willing to go used, genres doom, death and thrash metal. Think sabbath, metalica slayer, death, sodom, amon amarth, overkill, electric wizard. Lastly I am ruling out blackstar outright terrible amplifiers id rather stick to the valvestates than those piles of crap. I'm thinking of getting a line 6 flextone if anyone has a better idea please feel to leave a suggestion.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

i have heard many good things about vypyrs. also fender mustang's seem to get quite a bit of praise.

i recommended two modeling amps because you should be able to get quite a bit of versatility out of them, and they also both have headphones outs and can also serve as a recording interface. the headphone outs and recording interface option should help you be able to do practicing at any hour in apartment situations.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

I know the vypyrs are popular here but I need to buy a 75w ss or 60w tube for the usb line out I know they are both more managable than my boosted to holy hell ampeg but I am just not that wild about the vypyr and the mustang is pretty bleh for metal so I'm ruling that one out as well.

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Old 10-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Does a Cube have line out?
Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

I am not sure if it does, I remember I liked my 15watt valvetronix when I had it I got rid of it because it became useless when I got my randall rg200. I'm not against large solid states (60w and up) because they sound good at lower volumes is which what I am looking for it doesn't need to compete with a band if it can if I need in a pinch it is a plus. Might check out a randall rh 120 as well there going for very little used it just needs to sound ok at non ear shattering volumes I got a 212 so feel free to list heads as well.

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
everypony calm down!

Quote:

Last edited by losing battle : 10-21-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #6
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by losing battle
I know the vypyrs are popular here but I need to buy a 75w ss or 60w tube for the usb line out I know they are both more managable than my boosted to holy hell ampeg but I am just not that wild about the vypyr and the mustang is pretty bleh for metal so I'm ruling that one out as well.

USB line out is over rated IMHO. I haven't been impressed with the tones on Mustangs in the store, but I've heard a couple live that kicked ass and took names. Not in your genre though. But you can download other models when you hook it up to your computer; the stock stuff is just the tip of the iceberg. Don't know whether that's good enough for what you want to do, but you might want to check it out.

As for line out, I've never heard a great line out on an amp. Even my Marshall all-tube head with it's XLR line out leaves a lot to be desired. If you're recording anything halfway serious you probably ought to mic a cab if you want wet or tap a line with a DI Box to record dry through an interface. You can re-amp in your DAW if you record dry. Either with VSTIs or through your rig if you know what you're doing.

On the Marshall I found the line out was good enough for live stuff going through a PA, but not for recording. Live would probably be better through the cab, too.

Good luck. Let us know what you end up with and how it works out for you.

Last edited by jetwash69 : 10-22-2012 at 07:39 AM.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #7
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

I know I'm going with an ss or a hybrid more than likely a flextone or a randall, ss amps are a bit easier to get a good metal tone at lower volumes than tube amps especially in my target price range. I'm happy with my current set up for rehersals and in the future gigs, it sounds amazing but as I said its before too damn loud for everyday playing my living room, its louder than a dual recto at 7 when my amp is at 2 so needless to say the thing is loud! I used my rg200 till my transformer melted as a practice/band amp never got to gig with it and at lower volumes it sounded pretty damn good. I did like the kh 120 when I tried it last year for shits and giggles, the flextone sounds amazing and would give me verisitilty for that cold day in hell when I do a rock cover band but I never got to try it out for myself. If this amp can get up to rehersal/gigging volume that would just be gravy. Due to costs I am trying to keep it under 200 shipped, my craigslist blows so hunting on there isn't exactly fruitful, if you factor the cost of gas there is a good chance I'm beter off having something shipped and I dont like it I can hawk it on cl. As for expanding my budget unless a wild mesa appears for $300 or less I am sticking to my $150-200 usd budget.

Edit:
I plan recording in a studio because its just easier that way because its just easier that way and chances are it will sound better too. So the extra recording bells and whistles I really don't care about.

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
everypony calm down!

Quote:

Last edited by losing battle : 10-22-2012 at 01:52 AM.

Rate This Thread: