Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #21
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Chisel
W4RP1G - it is supposed to be as hard as poly put with the application qualities of shellac. LMI sells it.Wonder if it has burn in characteristic of shellac if it cross-links?

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdpr...ut+Hard+Shellac

Very intersting. You can even french polish it.

The thing that concerns me is they say it will "completely cure", which says to me that repairs will not be possible, since it should be impervious to alcohol at that point.

Another thing is that it seems to have the same amber tent that Shellac has(even clear shellac seems to have it). A big part of why I decided to use polyurethane this time instead of tru-oil is that I didn't want the amber tint that tru-oil seems to have. I think the future, if I'm ok with an amber tint, I will use tru-oil above all else for a maple fretboard.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #22
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Pics, as promised

Old 12-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #23
BirdRiverCustom

Looks gorgeous W4RPIG! i planned on using the same finish for my fretless based on your post in your build thread, but this reinforces it.
BirdRiverCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #24
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdRiverCustom
Looks gorgeous W4RPIG! i planned on using the same finish for my fretless based on your post in your build thread, but this reinforces it.

Thanks! It looks great and it is a pretty durable finish, but you might want to find out what people are using for fretless basses. I've heard some people use an epoxy, which would make sense because it's so hard.

Rate This Thread: