Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-22-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
dannyryan007

Question idea for a speaker cab...

I haven't seen this anywhere, and i thought it would be interesting. If anyone is aware of such a thing, please let me know.

To my knowledge, 12" and 10" speakers (respectively) are the most popular for electric guitar amplification. Would it be feasible to build a 2x10/2x12 4 speaker cabinet? I feel like this would open a whole lot of tonal potential for various styles of electric guitar players. Similar concept to car and pro audio, different sized speakers for different tones and frequencies... idk. i might be crazy. I had initially thought of doing a 1x15/2x12/2x10/2x8 cab.... then i dialed it down to more realistic realm. I don't know much about wiring and ohms. Could this even work in a reasonable sort of a way? I appreciate any feedback in advance.
dannyryan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
Viban
UG's resident bum

It could work very easily just find 2 good 10's and 2 good 12's of the same impedance and wire it like you would any other cab, I don't know if power handling would suffer to any degree but I'm sure it would be miniscule.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyryan007
I haven't seen this anywhere, and i thought it would be interesting. If anyone is aware of such a thing, please let me know.

To my knowledge, 12" and 10" speakers (respectively) are the most popular for electric guitar amplification. Would it be feasible to build a 2x10/2x12 4 speaker cabinet? I feel like this would open a whole lot of tonal potential for various styles of electric guitar players. Similar concept to car and pro audio, different sized speakers for different tones and frequencies... idk. i might be crazy. I had initially thought of doing a 1x15/2x12/2x10/2x8 cab.... then i dialed it down to more realistic realm. I don't know much about wiring and ohms. Could this even work in a reasonable sort of a way? I appreciate any feedback in advance.

i have a 2x12"and 1x15" cab. it works and sounds great. it is ported though (through front not open back). figuring out the size of cab dimensions and potential port requirements can easily found on the internet. there is also freeware out there. i had it but not on this computer and don't remember what it was called.

personally i would never even consider 8" with a guitar. they cant handle the low end at a decent volume.

tens are okay but not ideal for all applications.

i think there is a an amp company that sells 1x12"+1x10" cabs. if i am thinking it may be Dr. Z. but you can do the research.

as far as going together there are really only two things to consider mainly ohms matching, but speaker sensitivity (in db) of the speakers as well.

ohms are easy. they need to match the amp output. it depends if you are running different number of speakers. i am not going to cover that, but you can easily use google for an ohms calculator.

have you built a cab before?

_________

edit: forgot to mention sensitivity, that tells you which speaker is going to be louder standardized. for instance i would never match a 10" greenback with a 12" Vintage 30, you wouldn't hear the greenback as well because the V30 has a much higher db rating.

also. when you are running multiple speakers, the wattage of the lowest wattage speaker is multiplied by the number of speakers to get the maximum wattage for the cabinet.

lowest wattage*# of speakers = maximum wattage.

that mainly comes in with a low wattage speaker, and you are trying to use a high wattage amp. i have two 20 watt EVH celestions in a cab with two greenbacks, that does put out only 80 watts (20wattsx4 speakers), so i use a JTM45 with it.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT

Last edited by trashedlostfdup : 10-22-2012 at 02:06 AM.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:10 AM   #4
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

speaker cabinets and car audio systems are not one and the same. a car audio system generally has 3 or more crossover points, which send different frequencies to different speakers (highs to tweeters, lows to subs, everything else to drivers- you can go much more complicated). a guitar cab, unless it has a crossover in it (many bass cabs have tweeters that are on a basic crossover), does not.

guitars cabs, instead of splitting the signal based on frequency, send the signal equally to different speakers regardless of which would be better. everything gets sent everywhere. yes, a bigger speaker will handle bass better and reproduce lows more accurately thus sounding better for lows. however, without using a crossover, the benefits of a multiple speaker configuration are severely limited. a better option would potentially be to use a guitar cab and a bass cab through a crossover after the amplifier head but before the speakers.

I think I understand what you're trying to accomplish, but wiring 2 sizes of speakers into a cab isn't the best way (also, the response difference between 10'' and 12'' guitar speakers isn't nearly as significant as the difference between the sub and the speakers in your car) to go. most guitar speakers have more than sufficient range for most guitar players (guitarists who detune heavily or use 7 and 8 string guitars can certainly benefit from bass cabs or subs).
Old 10-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

there were some threads on tgp recently about combining 10s with 12s.

easiest thing though, if you're going for 4 speakers, might be a 2x12 and a 2x10 cabinet, and just link them. that way you don't have a weird cabinet configuration that you can't sell if it doesn't turn out the way you expect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: