Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Caaarrl94

Should I go with multi fx or single pedals?

I play mostly RHCP, Hendrix, SRV, basically blues, rock, funky stuff, but I also play alot cleaner stuff like Radiohead sometimes.
(I don't need any crazy metal distortions)

For arguments sake, because the Zoom G3 acts as 6 seperate pedals, I'll compare it to single pedals of that price range (20-25)

How would the Zoom G3's effects compare against a single pedal costing about 25 (Behringer hahaha)

For example, I think one pedal it models is a tubescreamer, just how similar to a single tube screamer would it actually sound? (to my un-trained ear)

Also, the amp models, are they any good?

I'll probably be buying a seperate Cry Baby Wah because auto wah seems abit of a joke.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

I don't use a lot of effects outside of funsies, but the amp models from the Zoom G3, in my opinion, are terrible.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

The G3X has an expression pedal. I would consider that over the G3. The auto wah isn't a joke. It works perfectly well for it's intended purpose. You can use a regular wah setting on the G3 if you have an ext expression pedal.

If I were you I would choose between the G3X and the G5 based on price and needs. The Zoom will outperform the Behringer pedals by a long shot. And the amp models are in my opinion awesome.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Check out the other multi effect pedals as well as Zoom - the Boss ME series is my favourite, I had the ME50 for years.

Like you said, the advantage of the ME series and the Zoom you're looking at is that they act as a set of individual pedals rather than focussing solely on amp modelling and patches. With a pedal like that you can learn which effects you really need so that if/when you decide to switch to individual pedals you know which you need. I believe the Line 6 M9/13 also work in that way.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
Caaarrl94

Thanks Gary, i looked at the ME-70 and ME-50, but the G3 is quite abit cheaper than the ME-70 and also acts as 6 pedals of my choice, so i couldn't have a distortion on, then turn on fuzz for example, without physically turning the knob and adjusting all the settings like on the ME-70

I think it would be better to buy a seperate Wah aswell

Last edited by Caaarrl94 : 10-22-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Caaarrl94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

The ME will sound a lil better through an amp but IMO the G3 is the better value. Either would give you an idea of which individual pedals you'd use most
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
Caaarrl94

thanks guys, out of curiosity.
When using amp modelling on the G3, should I be plugged into the amp at its very cleanest with no reverb/gain ?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

If you want cheap pedals you should check out the danelecto and joyo pedal's they are pretty sweet especially for the money.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
Jhachey22
Bαnned on the Run

unless you're willing to drop at least $400 on a Line 6 M9 or something of that caliber, you're best to get a few single effects. The lower priced MFX units don't really have that good of a sound and they tend to get hard to incorporate into your rig, I find some amps don't like them at all. You can get a lot of sounds from a distortion/overdrive, a delay, a wah wah (already covered in the OP) and some kind of modulation (flanger, chorus, phaser).

Out of those three, the phaser is the least versatile. You're kind of stuck with the one sweeping sound, either sped up or slowed down. But they are used a lot in the stuff you mentioned you like'd playing, so take that with a grain of salt.

A decent chorus should get you some cool leslie sounds as well as a nice wide traditional chorus. The Cool Cat Chorus from Danelectro had a really nice vibrato on it if you turned the mix all the way to one side. Flangers are a lot more versatile, imo. They can do a decent chorus and those jet plane sweeps that make phasers look kind of dull.

I don't think MFX is that good of an idea anyways because if it happens to get stolen or crap out on you for any reason, you're kind of screwed. You have to start from square one of going through the presets and re-entering your settings. If you have four or five single pedals, it's not as likely that all of them are going to blow up at once.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.

Last edited by Jhachey22 : 10-22-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Jhachey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i would probably get single pedals- tim's gonna come in here soon and kill me, but i think the likes of joyos sound pretty good (and with that ******** code, if you're willing to buy from hong kong/china, you can get them for like 15 each if you also buy a mooer when you're at it) and are generally based on pretty sought-after pedals.

i'm not sure i'd trust them on a world tour, but if you're only mucking about at home...

EDIT: what's your current amp and guitar?

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

3rded or 4thed on the joyos.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
Caaarrl94

I'm planning ahead
Im getting a new guitar next month, and hoping to get a new amp, possibly a Bugera V5
(only for practice, so i dont need anything too expensive/loud, likewise with the effects, thats what'd lead me to the Zoom G3
Old 10-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

small amps aren't generally friendly to dirt pedals. i'd recommend getting something with more wattage. at least 20.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

The G3 is a great pedal. These guys telling you to get separate pedals are sending you on an expensive goose chase. If you are using amp models with a tube amp you should set it to the cleanest setting but you can still use the reverb on the amp. Also with an amp you should be careful about the cabinet modeling. I suggest that you start with no cabinet modeling if you use a guitar amp. And also play with the global output setting for the amp type.

You don't have to use amp models when using a guitar amp. You can just use the G3 as a bunch of stomp boxes. But you have the option to do anything that you think sounds good.

The M-Audio EX-P expression pedal is pretty cheap and works with the G3. However, the G3X is only a bit more and the pedal adds a lot. Here's a pedalboard I'm putting together with a G3 right now. Still need to make some cables and drill some routing holes. The only caveat is that the G3 amp models can be noisy with some pedals. With no models you're fine.
Attached Images

Last edited by fly135 : 10-22-2012 at 08:42 PM.
fly135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #15
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135
These guys telling you to get separate pedals are sending you on an expensive goose chase.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:49 AM   #16
terryat

You can say that again.I have a sweet baby.The price is low but performance is wonderful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by losing battle
If you want cheap pedals you should check out the danelecto and joyo pedal's they are pretty sweet especially for the money.
terryat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:51 AM   #17
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
These guys telling you to get separate pedals are sending you on an expensive goose chase.

This can be very true. That's why I usually recommend people develop their sound using a multi effects unit, then when they know exactly what they want they can start investing in individual pedals to enhance & perfect their desired tone. Also, multi effect units tend to hold their price fairly well so you could buy one used then if you decide to upgrade you could sell it after a year or so for minimal loss.

Quote:
If you are using amp models with a tube amp you should set it to the cleanest setting but you can still use the reverb on the amp.

True, but I'd argue that if you've invested in a tube amp, you shouldn't want to be using amp models anyway! Why would you buy a good amp then try to make it sound like something else....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
small amps aren't generally friendly to dirt pedals. i'd recommend getting something with more wattage. at least 20.

This depends on the amp. Some small amps work well with them, some large amps don't.

Finally, if you do decide to go with individual pedals, the Joyo suggestion is a good one.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 10-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
This can be very true. That's why I usually recommend people develop their sound using a multi effects unit, then when they know exactly what they want they can start investing in individual pedals to enhance & perfect their desired tone. Also, multi effect units tend to hold their price fairly well so you could buy one used then if you decide to upgrade you could sell it after a year or so for minimal loss.
That's my point. If you don't know what you want then a multifx is likely what you want. And you may never choose separate pedals. Many gigging pros use multifx. If you buy a nice tube amp that you cherish the tone of and feel that's your sound then pedals are a good bet. But if you are covering a diversity of songs like many people do then your specific amp sound isn't so important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
True, but I'd argue that if you've invested in a tube amp, you shouldn't want to be using amp models anyway! Why would you buy a good amp then try to make it sound like something else....
It doesn't sound like he's investing in much of a tube amp at this point. I would not consider a low price tube amp as "that sound". There are no rules, except experiment and learn the fundamentals.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #19
Caaarrl94

Thanks again guys.
But no, i'm not gigging or anything with a huge tube amp, it's only for practicing at the moment.
Are there any other Amps you suggest? Everybody raves about tube amps and i thought the bugera seemed good value.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #20
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Obviously not the only option, but I use a Vox AC4TVH with the V112TV cab & I'm happy with it - it's perfect for rock/blues etc, has some excellent clean sounds and if you set it to 1/4 of a watt it's quiet enough to use at home without annoying the neighbours even when you crank it to the max.
Jet City JCA22H

Rate This Thread: