Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #21
Caaarrl94

I was almost set on the VOX AC4TV then i realised it has no gain control or reverb.
it's just volume, tone and the power attenuator
Old 10-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #22
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

That's what I liked about it - I wanted the most basic thing possible because I wanted the complete opposite of a modelling amp!!

Obviously there's loads of other options. Have you actually bought any of the kit you've been considering yet?

If you haven't, it could be worth simply letting us know your full budget for guitar, amp and effects so we can provide suggestions for a full setup. You'll probably get a load of suggestions for a Peavey Vypyr as an amp as it has all the effects you'll need built into it, but who knows, maybe people will come up with something new that you wouldn't have thought of otherwise?
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #23
Caaarrl94

I'll be playing with a strat.
and have about 250-300 to spend on effects + amp.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #24
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caaarrl94
I was almost set on the VOX AC4TV then i realised it has no gain control or reverb.
it's just volume, tone and the power attenuator
If you are going to buy a multifx then there are a lot of options. You can get a keyboard amp, or as one of the regulars often recommends a powered wedge. If you have a nice stereo with decent speakers you can get a mixer, put it on the tape monitor, and plug into it. I use that setup in my house in two of my rooms, even though I use tube amps as well.

Here in the US you can get really good stereo equipment cheap on Craigslist.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #25
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
small amps aren't generally friendly to dirt pedals. i'd recommend getting something with more wattage. at least 20.

depends on the amp, and how loud you're playing. a lot of those small single-enders are really simple and take pedals pretty well- but you're right, they don't have a ton of headroom and if you only want the sound of the pedal with no amp breakup, then unless you're playing at bedroom volumes, you're right.

EDIT: what type of stuff do you mainly play? thomann has good deals on the jet city stuff at the moment, and they're hard to beat if you need high gain tube tones and not much in the way of cleans. the jca2212 is 250. if you can stretch a little, the 1x12 50 watt combo is 350, iirc.

EDIT #2: I'd agree that if you need tons of effects and really have no idea what you currently want, then a multi-fx is maybe the way to go. but if you have at least some idea of what you want/need, and only need a few effects, then single pedals might be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 10-23-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #26
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

I've used a Valve Jr head w/ 1x12 cab with a multifx and pedals quite a bit and thought it sounded good. The biggest drawback to small amps is the size of the speaker and enclosure. A small amp with say a 2x12 cab is a different animal. Although I will say that I prefer a few more watts, not so much for the overall volume but because it seems add some punch.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #27
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

oh yeah the speaker makes a big difference- i like my fame tube 5 with the teeny 6 inch speaker because i can crank it up easily, but i don't like it so much with pedals.

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #28
Caaarrl94

I play Hendrix RHCP, Radiohead. Basically rock, blues, funk, indie, and i like to mess around with post rock kinda looping so i need a great clean sound. I don't need any really crazy metal shredding distortions.

I'll never get about bedroom levels (yet) so i don't need tonnes of headroom, aslong as it can get great cleans when loud, and some nice crunchy sounds at lower volumes if i choose to play without the multi fx.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #29
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

ah right, the jet cities (at least, the higher gain ones, i haven't tried the others) wouldn't really work for that.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: