Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Clarkinator

Looking For A New Overdrive Pedal

I'm in the market for a new OD pedal. After doing a lot of research, I decided to try out the Ibanez Ts9 Tubescreamer. Loved it, mix of what I'm looking for mostly, and a price I'm willing to spend.

However, after looking around some more and talking to a few people, I've been recommended the Maxon Od-9. I've heard from a few people that it is very similar to the Ts-9 but a little better. A bit more clarity and punch.

To add a third horse to the race, I have a friend who is a great player and he recommended to me a Boss Blues Driver with the Keeley mod. He swears by it, and I know he has gone through a lot of OD pedals looking for a certain sound. I haven't really found a tone of info on this pedal and mod, but I really respect this guy's opinion.

Problem is, the only pedal I can actually try in person is the Ts-9. I really liked it, but I'm intrigued by the Maxon. If it is similar to the Ibanez but a little better, I'm willing to shell out the extra $50 for it. Since I can't play it, or the Boss, I thought I'd see if anyone on here could share their experiences with any of the three, or maybe someone has owned/played one of the three. Right now I'm leaning towards getting the Maxon.

Some have told me that certain pedals sound better with certain guitars (humbuckers vs. single coils, etc). So for whatever it is worth, I play a Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe through a Peavy Classic 50 for my main guitar, but also frequently use an American Strat with CS 69 pickups as well.

I appreciate any and all opinions, or even recommendations for a pedal not listed in three I mentioned that is similar to the Od-9 or Ts-9 in style and price. Thank you!
Clarkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

no idea if the maxon is any better or not, but i suspect they're pretty similar

i haven't tried the keeley mod blues driver, but i think it's meant to be a more transparent overdrive. So it's not so much that one or other is better, it just depends on what you want, and your current gear. For some applications a tubescreamer would be better, for others the keeley mod bd2 would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Grawgos

I use a Cmatmod signa drive and I love it. There's a ton if videos for it on YouTube. Great build quality, price and tone. Check it out.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

also worth pointing out that the vast majority of ods are based on 4 or 5 circuits. that's not to say that they won't sound slightly different (or even quite different, depending on how much has been modded in them), but it's worth bearing in mind. there's a lot of snake oil in the pedal world.

Quote:

Old 10-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
monwobobbo

check out a Digitech Hardwire overdrive. it's very similar to a ts-9 and has a mod option for more gain. the eq is way better and very responsive.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Jhachey22
Bαnned on the Run

The big difference between the TS9/OD9 and the Blues Driver is the TS9's famous mid hump. Blues guys, and most people who use TSs, really like them because they add some sustain and some mids to make solos stand out, or even just to fill out a wimpy sounding amp. However, if you already have enough mids in your sound, adding a TS just tends to muddy things up. If you're using a Les Paul and a classic rock kind of amp, chances are it might not that have great of an affect on your tone.

I like the Bluesdriver because it doesn't have any real effect on your tone besides a treble boost. Besides that, it has a load more output than the TS9 does for hitting the front end of your amp. I used to own both and was suprized at how much more the BD could put out. Some people think that it tends to be harsh through brighter sounding amps that lots of blues guys tend to use (another reason they like the TS9, tames some of the highs). Guys like Keeley, Analogman and Monte Allums have all made mods to compensate for this, but I think it sounds fine as long as the tone knob is at noon or lower.

There are a ton of overdrives out ther to choose from, it's pretty limiting to stay in the realm of tubescreamers and their cousins/clones. Just try to think what you're missing from your sound. More sustain with less noise? More bite and less mud? More chunk and less treble? If you can get a bit more specific about what you want to do with your tone, the easier it will be to find one that won't leave you with buyers remorse. This is talking from experience, haha.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Jhachey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
andrerist
schecterguy

i kno that the maxon OD's were actually the original manufacturers of the ts9 and od808 before ibanez.

have you considered just going for a clean boost? like an mxr ZW-OD or a TC electronics spark booster? those may affect your tone as little as possible and just drive the amp a little harder for you.

you could also look into getting something like an mxr 10band eq. that way you can shape the tone a bit more to your liking and just boost the level on it for the added punch
andrerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
Clarkinator

Thanks for all the info/suggestions guys, I really appreciate.

Jhachey - I definitely should have clarified what I am looking for more in my post. Really, the reason why I was leaning towards the Tubescreamer (especially the Maxon) is because I was told it does a good job of boosting the mids for some more sustain and doesn't add any bass. My amp's overdrive channel has a nice beefy tone, but I'd like more sustain and to stand out in the mix a little more and I feel like it can be a bit much on the low end.

My band played a show a few nights ago and a few times I was turning down the bass on my amp... and I usually just start with it on about 6 to 7. When I turn the amp up for a show, its real bass heavy, and doesn't scream as much as I'd like when I solo. I currently use an EQ pedal for my solo boosts.

So I thought a tubescreamer might help in that department, and help me add some more "scream" to my solos.

I plan on using it both on with the clean channel of my amp, and on top of my amp's gain channel for that extra tone (especially for lead work). I thought I could find some versatility that way.
Clarkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Danelectro Cool Cat Drive.

1/3 of the price of a TS9 and just as good - if not better.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkinator
So I thought a tubescreamer might help in that department, and help me add some more "scream" to my solos.

ah ok- yeah it might work for that. it cuts bass, boosts the mids and adds a bit of compression.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: