Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
Metallic9896

Question Buying my first Electric Guitar - Need help

Peace,

Ok, this is my first post, so lemme just give a brief introduction. I'm a 14 year old guy, have been playing an acoustic guitar for the past two years, and am looking to buy an electric guitar.

My taste in music mainly revolves around: Heavy Metal (e.g. Iron Maiden, Metallica etc.), Melodic Death Metal (e.g. 3 Inches of Blood, Kalmah etc.), (Depressive) Black Metal (e.g Forgotten Tomb, Happy Days, Burzum (I know Burzum isn't depressive that's why I put 'Depressive' in brackets) etc. ), Alternative Metal (e.g. Katatonia, Bullet for my Valentine etc.), Post Hardcore/Screamo/Metalcore (e.g. Falling in Reverse, Escape the Fate, Alesana, Killswitch Engage, As I lay Dying etc.), Rap Rock (e.g. Hollywood Undead, Linkin Park) and Rock/Alternative Rock (e.g. Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin and Skillet etc.)

*I may have some genres wrong, but you get the point right?

So I have no experience whatsoever regarding electric guitars. All I know is that there are these things called amps (Which convert the guitar sound to speakers right) and pedals (Which lead to distortion, overdrive, reverb, chorus etc. ... right?) and the guitar itself of course. However, I have no idea how these things work, and what type of a guitar should I be getting. Am really seriously confused. I want a guitar with amps/pedals that would help me play all the genres mentioned above, if that's possible, if not, then at least Alternative Rock/Metal, Heavy Metal, and Black Metal, as I play these a LOT. I can buy a guitar up to $525 (Including amps and pedals and other things that are needed), and live in Pakistan, so there isn't really THAT big of a variety here, thus, rather than just mentioning one guitar/pedal/amp, give me a nice list of guitars (And their things) that would be available. Please don't say that I should do research of my own, as this IS part of my research, so Please help me, I will be buying one within the next 30 days. Thanks in advance, cause I know you guys won't let me down

Last edited by Metallic9896 : 10-21-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Metallic9896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

First, please try to use the regular font . But thanks for reading the stickies, it helps a lot.

Now, I recommend getting a nice amp first, because that helps your tone more than a guitar. Then get a decent guitar with what you have left. Forget pedals for the moment because you can easily get by for a while with a good amp and a guitar.

Do you have a guitar store nearby? If so, try all the guitars you can, and decide which one feels best, and which one sounds best. Then we can help you find a guitar that will feel good and sound good in your budget. I know that a lot of metal players like Ibanez RG series guitars to start and ESP guitars (Ltds are the less expensive MIK ones).

As for amps, look at a Peavey Vypyr. Stay away from Line 6 Spiders and Marshall MGs.
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
JoeFlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Metallic9896

^ Thank you so much for the advices, I'll check out the stuff you've mentioned. Till then, everyone is more than welcome to give me more tips and give me links to threads that would be of benefit to me
Old 10-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

That's a very wide range of music you're wanting to play, which means lots of different tunings, etc. So I would suggest you make sure you get a fixed bridge guitar (hardtail/stopbar tailpiece/tunomatic etc). You definitely don't want to get a guitar with a Floyd Rose or any other kind of locking tremolo.

As for pickups, for metal styles you want a guitar with atleast one humbucker. Try looking for guitars with either two humbuckers or a humbucker and two single coils.

Those kinds of bands, you'll probably need 24 frets.

Guitars that have all of these features in your price range will probably come from Ibanez, LTD, or Schecter.

I have an Ibanez RG321MH, which was technically my first guitar, It meets all these requirements and suited me well as a beginner, although as you become a more advanced player it leaves alot to be desired imo. It basically just comes down what your feel and preferences are.

Guitars to check out:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...electric-guitar

I can't speak much for amps, but if you're just practicing I would suggest an amp with distortion/effects built-in. Messing around with all the various pedals can be a little overwhelming.
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

^ Keep in mind that he needs some of his money for an amp. Those are all good suggestions, but again, a good amp will improve your tone more than a good guitar.
Martin DCX1E
Bunch of Pedals
Old 10-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
dannyalcatraz

What online musical instrument retail sites do you have access to in Pakistan?

Are you willing to buy used?

Are you set on getting something with a recognizable brand name, or are you willing to try some of the up & coming brands out of Asia or Eastern Europe? I ask because I know the pickups in this guitar are pretty decent, and it should be within your price range.

Radix Raven
http://radixguitars.com/radix-raven.html

Tesla Plasma 3
http://www.teslapickups.com/?products=plasma-3

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-21-2012 at 07:29 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:02 AM   #7
miio

As a guitar, you might want to check these ones out:
IBANEZ GRG121
IBANEZ RGA32 / RGA42 (these are a little bit more expensive, but you might be able to find them used for around 250-300$)
LTD EC-50

And as for amp, I'd really recommend going for a modelling amp, such as:
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Peavey Vypyr 15
Fender Mustang II

Check these out, and let us know what you think
miio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
Metallic9896

OMG THANK YOU GUYS

I have gained so much knowledge about electric guitars in such little time, thanks a lot. After going through the links you people have provided, and checking out specs of guitars that belong to the series of guitars you have recommended, I am preparing a list, that I'll (First get your approval) give to the shop owner of the guitar shop in my town to see if any one guitar and amp are available. Sadly, I won't be able to pay the shop a visit mainly because I'm very busy due to studies this week and the shop is kinda on the other side of my city. Till then, I'll be asking more questions to know more about this stuff.

As for the question posed to me by dannyalcatraz, the answers are listed below.

A1: Pakistan is very uncool place to be, first of all there aren't many online shops, and even if there are, they probably won't and don't have that much of a variety, and secondly, you literally can't trust anyone here, so no way am I opting for online shopping. I tried searching for sites, mainly I got two sites that are used by people all over here, but one didn't even have musical instruments, and the other only had four Yamaha acoustic guitars in the guitar list, so you can see how things are here.

A2: No, I am not planning on buying used guitars, I want this to be an epic moment of my life, where I wouldn't have the feeling 'Man, someone already used it', you see, growing up in the Pakistani culture, I - unwillingly - have this obsession with 'Brand new' things, so no, I prefer not to ever buy second hand stuff, not even from my best friend.

A3: I want to buy a guitar of a well known brand, not only because I 'Want' to, but also because it is likely that well established branded stuff is available in Pakistan, since already we don't have many guitar shops, it's unlikely that they'd have guitars of new brands that have just started in recent months/years. This is Pakistani society

BTW I have a few questions;

Q1. What do you guys recommend, Fender Mustang ll or Peavey Vypyr? I went through the web and got conflicting opinions, and if I should get the Vypyr, which one should I get, 15, 30 or 60 (and above), as the main difference I see between the 30 and 60 is the 'Studio Quality USB interface', so what's your opinion on it? And then recently I just came across some posts on other forums which say the Vox is better than the Peavey..

Q2. I'd definitely want to connect my guitar to my laptop some point in my life, so is that possible? If it is, how does it affect what amp I just chose?

Q3. Is the Ibanez RGR321EX a good idea?: http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/...-GIT0010157-000 (ignore the price for the moment here)

Thanks again for helping me, if I'm asking too much, tell me

Last edited by Metallic9896 : 10-22-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
dannyalcatraz

There are all kinds of ways to connect your guitar to you computer. I prefer using one of the small, portable amp/pedal modeler devices- which, incidentally- make awesome practice tools (which is what they were originally designed for).

As I posted elsewhere:

Old 10-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
TuningGamer
2 years and going strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallic9896
OMG THANK YOU GUYS

You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallic9896

BTW I have a few questions;

Q1. What do you guys recommend, Fender Mustang ll or Peavey Vypyr? I went through the web and got conflicting opinions, and if I should get the Vypyr, which one should I get, 15, 30 or 60 (and above), as the main difference I see between the 30 and 60 is the 'Studio Quality USB interface', so what's your opinion on it? And then recently I just came across some posts on other forums which say the Vox is better than the Peavey..

Q2. I'd definitely want to connect my guitar to my laptop some point in my life, so is that possible? If it is, how does it affect what amp I just chose?

Q3. Is the Ibanez RGR321EX a good idea?: http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/...-GIT0010157-000 (ignore the price for the moment here)

Thanks again for helping me, if I'm asking too much, tell me

First of all, I've never played the Fender Mustang II, but I'm pretty sure the Vypyr would suite your needs. I've owned the Vypyr 15 for about a year, but the USB interface (you can hook the amp up to your PC and record) and the speaker that is said to be a little bit better would make me recommend the Vypyr 30 for you. For now that would solve the laptop-issue as well!

Secondly, the Ibanez RGR321EX seems like a very solid guitar to begin with. Very suitable for metal, a lot of people like how it plays and it's a hard tail, so you can down tune all you want (just get the right strings if you decide to stay in drop F). I have no experience with that exact model, but I've played some Ibanez guitars that are very similar to it, so I'd say go for it. Just play it yourself before you buy.

And don't worry, you're not asking too much! I was afraid of asking too much as well when I first came here, but most of us are glad to help out any way we can because we have all been there and understand your position as a new guy It's also just nice to just sit and talk about guitars and music. That's what we are here for most of the time!

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowthewitch
The actual correct answer
TuningGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

I had the mustang II and it was really good for classic rock and blues/clean tones, but the metal channels SUCKED. The Vypyr is much more suited for hard rock/metal.
Martin DCX1E
Bunch of Pedals
Old 10-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
dannyalcatraz

You might want to see if you can get your hands on a Dean* (my fave is the Cadillac), DBZ Imperial, Royal, Bolero, Barchetta), Fernandes (Dragonfly, Ravelle), Malden (Subhuman, Karma, Bad Karma) or Godin (Redline HB, Freeway SA).

All should be fairly well made, dependable guitars that can do what you want.

The Godins are probably the most flexible & well made of the bunch, overall, but not by much. The Fernandes Ravelle and Malden's Subhuman & Bad Karma are in the same ballpark in terms of offering different tones & features. Fernandes are well made. Malden are a rising star that has been getting good reviews, and I'm planning on getting a Bad Karma for myself. (I actually like the Subhuman just as much if not more, but I have suspicions about how comfortable it would be for me to play, since it is so pointy.)

* I own 2 that I love, but would advise against anything of Dean's less than $500- other makers in that price range offer better deals.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:36 AM   #13
Metallic9896

Thanks again for the tips, after checking out what you guys have recommended, I have prepared a list that I'll show to the salesman to see which guitars and amps are available:

Guitars:

Ibanez GRGR121
Ibanez RG321MH
Ibanez RGR321EX
LTD EC-50
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster HH
DBZ Imperial

Amplifiers:
Peavey Vypyr 30 or 60
Vox Valvetronix VT30 or VT50 (Both the Vypyr and Valvetronix have built in distortion right?)

If you have anything you'd want to add to it, mention it. And dannyalcatraz, thanks a lot for the guitars you've listed, but most of them are beyond my budget so I can't afford them

But then again, this is just an assumption of mine that up to $500 is my budget, my dad lives abroad (In Middle east, so no, there's no point in asking him to look for guitar) and he is the one who has to buy me a guitar when he'll come here, and that's probably early November. So maybe he'd allow me up to $800 or $1000, who knows? And if he doesn't, then I'll convince him to at least make it $500. And maybe prices here in Pakistan would be less than what they are in the US and other developed countries.

Last edited by Metallic9896 : 10-23-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
kramer242

. The first guy made an amp suggestion. I personally have a vypr. I'd say one of the best in its price range. Used to have a line 6 and it sounded great at lower volumes but when I tried to crank it the sound clarity vanished.
As for guitars, if you lean towards metal, I'd check out Jackson, schecter, ibanez, and ESP. I personally own 2 Jacksons and a schecter and played all 4 brands. Can't go wrong with any of them. Just comes down to a preference for the feel.
kramer242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
And dannyalcatraz, thanks a lot for the guitars you've listed, but most of them are beyond my budget so I can't afford them

Tht is the common lament of guitarists around the world. Nothing wrong with that. Perhaps they'll pop up on your radar used, or you'll have a bigger budget next time around.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
Metallic9896

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer242
. The first guy made an amp suggestion. I personally have a vypr. I'd say one of the best in its price range. Used to have a line 6 and it sounded great at lower volumes but when I tried to crank it the sound clarity vanished.
As for guitars, if you lean towards metal, I'd check out Jackson, schecter, ibanez, and ESP. I personally own 2 Jacksons and a schecter and played all 4 brands. Can't go wrong with any of them. Just comes down to a preference for the feel.

Thanks for sharing your opinions, since you own a Vypyr, and have played these guitars, I have a couple of questions that would really help me:

Q.1. Will just having an amp like Vypyr without the use of pedals give a distortion sound? I mean, does Vypyr have any built in distortion system or something like that?

Q.2. Can you give me the names of the guitars or series from those companies? I already know bout Ibanez, people say the RG series is great, but have no idea about Jackson.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Metallic9896 : 10-23-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #17
Metallic9896

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Tht is the common lament of guitarists around the world. Nothing wrong with that. Perhaps they'll pop up on your radar used, or you'll have a bigger budget next time around.

I hope
Old 10-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #18
kramer242

Jackson does make some decent lower end guitars. Both of mine are dinky body styles. Id suggest trying some Jackson's out and if you like them possibly buying used. The early 2000s model dks go used for 300-400 and while not quite as good as the new pro series, at less than half the price hold there own.
The vyprs do have distortion settings an a good amount of effects. I would still recommend a distortion peddle as the amp distortion left a little to be desired. Over time if you can save enough they also make a footswitch for the vypr that allows to add and combine a ton of effects.

A pedal I would really recommend is the Dunlop mxr full bore metal. If that is out of range I'd personally go with digitech distortion pedals. They have a lower priced line of pedals. They are not the most durable but would last long enough for an upgrade.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
kramer242

A few other thoughts
Ibanez more than likely thinnest neck you'll find. Perfect For a lot of ppl. I didn't care for them cuz my hands felt too big for the neck. great action on these guitars.
Jacksons have a thin neck. Not quite as thin as ibanez but for my hands good fit. Also great action.
ESP I only played a couple of. Action felt nice. The neck was slightly thicker than my Jackson.
Schecter probably best sound for metal out of the box. Thickest neck of the bunch and may not be suitable for all hand sizes. Also while still very playable the action is not near that of the other 3.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #20
EddieHet

Get a Peavey Vypyr 30 or 60
and use the money you left to try all the guitar within range.

BRAND DOESN'T MATTER (at least at that price range), all you need is a guitar that is comfortable for practising.
Do consider a 24 frets guitar.

Rate This Thread: