Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #21
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmastamitch

Those are pretty much two or three trick ponies.

I say Mark IV or V if you can squeeze it in. But I think a Fractal AxeFX would be ideal.
I've played quite a few and they do enough for me, I change styles by playing differently and using different pups and rolling off the tone along with changing how I'm playing and those changes and a decent overdrive are enough for me if I had to go without any other pedals, throw in a good distortion or fuzz and I can give ya metal too.

Soundcloud
tukk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #22
Ian_the_fox
Bark

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredftw

I for one am not a fan of the V3. I've played the V3M a fair bit in the shop near me and no matter what I just cannot get on with it, it always sounds fizzy in the top end and from all I know it is exactly the same as the V3 but may run on different power tubes??
I've played a few V3's in person and a used V3m in GC. The tubes make a massive difference.

The V3 is much more focused and has a more clear/robust sound. The EL84's in the V3m simply kill everything. I really don't get why so many lower-watt amps targeted towards hi-gain players are loaded with them. They sound horrible for metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
why did ian cross the road?

his dick was stuck in the chicken
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #23
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ you need a disti pedal on a Mark to do metal?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #24
mmolteratx
UG God

The MTS series is really what you want, though you could do something like a 6505+ combo and Deluxe Reverb in stereo, which would be super hawt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukk04
I've played quite a few and they do enough for me, I change styles by playing differently and using different pups and rolling off the tone along with changing how I'm playing and those changes and a decent overdrive are enough for me if I had to go without any other pedals, throw in a good distortion or fuzz and I can give ya metal too.

I've owned or played all of the very highly regarded high gain pedals and not one can touch my Diezel, CEC or Boogie. Especially through an HRD, which I also used to own. The guys got a budget of $1500, why the hell would you settle for an HRD and a mediocre pedal with that much money? Not to mention the HRD is even lousier at low volumes.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
Suhr Classic T
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #25
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukk04

My rig (in my sig) consists of a Hot Rod Deluxe as the main amp, and the awesome Wampler Triple Wreck for all of my dirt. The distortion channel of the HRD is absolutely useless. For anything. It's really just bad. The cleans are quite good; a good platform for pedals, and with the right ones, it can sound really good. But tube distortion coming from the amp, especially with dat budget, will nearly always sound better.
bassmastamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #26
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Mark V is very versatile but its not really a high gain monster. Gain needs to be damn near maxed out on channel 3.

The 90/45/10w deal on the mark V is more then just a lower wattage for headroom. When you are in 10w mode it operates in class A. Simply amazing and would be great for your studio recording.

Each channel has 3 modes, three different cleans from mid cleans to fat cleans to dirty(awesome). Channel 2 is the "crunch OD channel" which I really like. I surprised the shit out of me. It really ads to the versatility.

Channel 3 was almost a let down. You really have to EQ the crap out of it. MKIIC+ and MKIV modes are my favorite. Heavy and full sounding when done correctly. EQ must change between MKIV and MKII which is a PITA. Need to write it down/take a picture so you don't lose your favorite. It also has a memory for the graphic EQ. Extreme channel is brighter but higher gain. Clarity is amazing and makes other amps look foolish.

Does it cover british sounding amps? No. Almost everything else minus super high gain blurring chords distortion.

EDIT: My brother has either an RM or MTS- I can't remember- they are a great value, esp used. Just get a different amp module and you have a new amp practically. Absolutely love them. The versatility is your choice. Also there is forum dedicated to mods that can be done to the premaps. One of the guys here posted some clips and they were amazing. I think his name was kylendm or something.

Last edited by R45VT : 10-23-2012 at 09:17 PM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #27
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Does it cover british sounding amps? No. Almost everything else minus super high gain blurring chords distortion.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #28
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH

It comes with 6L6. You can get EL34 and flip a switch for the bias. It might make you happy.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #29
Ippon
Amped

The TremOVerb might hit most of mdh2861's requirements although I'd feel more comfortable with the RoadKing II, for a few $ more and a heap more watts.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #30
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

I'd probably go modelling amp if you won't be gigging. I think most of the tube amps mentioned won't sound too great set on 1, they need to be up a bit. If you can make some noise where you live, then that's different.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #31
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempoe
I'd probably go modelling amp if you won't be gigging. I think most of the tube amps mentioned won't sound too great set on 1, they need to be up a bit. If you can make some noise where you live, then that's different.

I use my mkv in my bedroom. Sounds great, even in 90w mode.

For modeling AxeFXII or Kemper. Cheaper alternatives: Line6 HDpod or elevenrack.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #32
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
It comes with 6L6. You can get EL34 and flip a switch for the bias. It might make you happy.

I think I actually got a bit horny when I read that
Old 10-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #33
mdh2861

WOW, thanks for all the GREAT replies. Im seriously considering the mark V now, as I suspected. Seems like it does everything, except the possible blistering rip your face off dual recto nu metal stuff..... Wierdly, when paying 2500 for an amp, I want that too... Someone tell me it gets close and im sold! I really want this to be MY amp. I dont care how much I pay for it anymore, I just want it to be "it". I know this is all a never ending battle for ALL of us.

So.. combo? Or head & 2x12??

Dont worry ill change my mind tomorrow!!

Last edited by mdh2861 : 10-24-2012 at 12:41 AM.
mdh2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:01 AM   #34
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh2861
WOW, thanks for all the GREAT replies. Im seriously considering the mark V now, as I suspected. Seems like it does everything, except the possible blistering rip your face off dual recto nu metal stuff..... Wierdly, when paying 2500 for an amp, I want that too... Someone tell me it gets close and im sold! I really want this to be MY amp. I dont care how much I pay for it anymore, I just want it to be "it". I know this is all a never ending battle for ALL of us.

So.. combo? Or head & 2x12??

Dont worry ill change my mind tomorrow!!

i would go for a head and a cab. i have a MKIV and i love it, haven't played one yet but a lot of people like the V i just always liked the IV and didn't want to drop $2.5k

one thing to consider or may not matter at all is that Lamb of God from where i read that they didn't want to use the V's and wanted to stay with the IV's, but mesa didn't want them to so LOG went to another head.

my IV long head ($875) gets pretty heavy. its a different type of heavy than a Rec or a 5150/6505, but it does get up there.

i would go with the V if you have the money and want to spend it. (based on clips and demos), again my GC never has any new mesas, i don't think they sell them, but used Recs pop in every once and a while.

you could also look at it as picking up a IV for a grand and get another amp. for example i paid $1,000 for my Splawn Nitro, and paid $875 for the MarkIV. my $1875 went further that $2500 a mark V is. again its just what you want, and where you want to look for a good deal.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:05 AM   #35
Perverockstar69

Kemper?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:28 AM   #36
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i would go for a head and a cab. i have a MKIV and i love it, haven't played one yet but a lot of people like the V i just always liked the IV and didn't want to drop $2.5k

one thing to consider or may not matter at all is that Lamb of God from where i read that they didn't want to use the V's and wanted to stay with the IV's, but mesa didn't want them to so LOG went to another head.

my IV long head ($875) gets pretty heavy. its a different type of heavy than a Rec or a 5150/6505, but it does get up there.

i would go with the V if you have the money and want to spend it. (based on clips and demos), again my GC never has any new mesas, i don't think they sell them, but used Recs pop in every once and a while.

you could also look at it as picking up a IV for a grand and get another amp. for example i paid $1,000 for my Splawn Nitro, and paid $875 for the MarkIV. my $1875 went further that $2500 a mark V is. again its just what you want, and where you want to look for a good deal.

Good information and great points. There have been a few people who have said the MKV is not worth the extra premium over the MKIV.

Also note Willie and Mark from LoG use different settings on the mark V. Willie uses EXTREME mode and Mark uses MKIV mode. That is a least what was going on in their Mesa "sponsored" you tube clips. In actuality I believe they both prefer the MKIV over the V and now Mark uses the Royal Atlantic for parts. Just to expand a little. This could be outdated now.

I think you should sit down and play it. A lot of GCs carry them if you are in the US. See if your local one has a MKIV you can compare too as well. Its budget friendly and could leave room for a new cab or another head.

What part of the country are you in?

Last edited by R45VT : 10-24-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:58 AM   #37
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Look into an Axe FX. A full rig might put you over budget, but nothing else will really come close to actually nailing such a diverse set of tones.

There are a lot of amps out there that are relatively versatile, but they usually do one thing fairly well, and just half ass everything else.

A modeling amp on the other hand can actually pull off such a wide range of tones convincingly.

Even though it's way under budget, do check out the Peavey Vypyr Tube.

As far as non-modeling goes, the only amp I can really recommend with a straight face for what you want to do would be the Mesa Road King. Maybe a Mark V, check that out as well.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #38
DarthV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Look into an Axe FX. A full rig might put you over budget, but nothing else will really come close to actually nailing such a diverse set of tones.

My Kemper has issues with that statement
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #39
mdh2861

haha, well, I pulled the trigger! ordered a mesa mark v and mesa 2x12 cab to the tune of $2900! I woke up this morning and promptly cancelled the order, way over my intended 1500... I like the idea of modeling amps and may check out the fractal axe-fx. Its back to the drawing board. I secretly was hopping my order had been shipped so I couldnt cancel!
mdh2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #40
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Hahahahaha.

Good luck and bump this if you have questions.

Rate This Thread: