Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #41
mdh2861

Ok, so, excuse my ignorance cause I know nothing about this fracle axe thing you guys are recommending other than its a solid state modeling device. This is a rack mount system? What do I play it through? A pa system? I'm ok with modeling, as long as it GOOD... I want it to FEEL like an amp though, you know, with a head and speaker cabinet ETC. What are the recommendations to set this up?

Oh, and by the way, I have owned a line 6 pod x3 live. The thing was a piece of junk, more like a childs toy than a professional piece of equipment. The wah pedal never worked properly and guitar center/line 6 didnt seem to care. Their software was also insanely buggy. Please tell me that this factal axe modeler is miles above my line 6 piece of garbage.

FYI, i'll never buy another line 6 product again.

**EDIT** haha, I see this thing costs about $2500!!!!!! It must be good

Last edited by mdh2861 : 10-24-2012 at 11:50 AM.
mdh2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #42
DarthV

Yes, the Fractal AxeFX line are rack mount modelers. The other high end competition is the Kemper Profiling Amp. Both can be used in a number of different ways. Direct out to a mixing board (FoH PA), to a wedge, to a set of monitors (studio or home use) or disabling the cabinet emulation to a power amp and guitar cab. Or quite a few combinations of those options.

For less money, there's always the eleven rack and the POD HD (or HD floorboards: 300, 400 & 500).

As for quality, there are tons of pro guitarists that are using both the fractal and kemper units. They both sound amazing.
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #43
mmolteratx
UG God

I've never tried the 11R but I had an AxeII for a while. Great high gain tones, kinda meh lower gain and clean tones. Best damn effects (bar fuzz) around too. The reverbs and delays in particular are a step above everything else I've owned/used including Eventide and Strymon. However, the guy I got my G0 from was telling me how he had both the AxeII and the 11R and that he wound up using the 11R more, though the Axe got pulled out when he needed high gain sounds.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #44
Ippon
Amped

^ In short, both.

But with the proper Diezels, Bogners, CEC, and SLO, you won't need them, yea?
Old 10-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #45
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
^ In short, both.

But with the proper Diezels, Bogners, CEC, and SLO, you won't need them, yea?

Pretty much. I can do like 90% of what the Snax did with my big rig.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Old 10-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #46
mdh2861

So confused on what to buy, i've been close to pulling the trigger on just about everything! The mesa mini rect is really intriguing to me. It seems to cover a wide range of tones. The modelers are appealing too, they just seem like a lot of work and configuration and that scares me. One thing I love about the modelers is they can hook into my recording software very easily I assume... I use logic on a macbook pro. I'm going to look into the carvin V3 and check out what that's all about.

I'm still fairly hot on the mesa mini recto, and am "thinking" about a used Mark IV. The lack of power settings on that scare me, i'd be @ 1 most of the time . Being loud, is only a personal preference for me, I live in the country, with no neighbors, and can play as loud as I want typically. I just dont want to play that frickin loud all the time..

The mesa express also seems like a great amp, but I feel it lacks that higher gain setting that i'm looking for.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #47
mdh2861

Carvin V3 looks like a good amp! Definitely going to follow up more...
Old 10-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #48
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

The Mini Recto is not a good investment in my opinion, for several reasons:

It struggles to stay clean at 25 watts (with a drummer)
It's geared towards more high gain tones.
It's difficult to dial in a really good blues tone (such as SRV or Freddie King)

it may be right up your alley, I don't know.

They are also waaay overpriced at one grand.

The Mesa Express needs a boost for super high gain, a TS-9 would do nicely. but it is extremely good for everything else you mentioned and it can get fairly dirty on its own.

The Mk IV should be high on your list though.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #49
mdh2861

ihardfood,

TOTALLY agree with everything you said about the Mini Recto... Since I, like a LOT of you, tend to buy & sell gear a lot, buying a mini recto at the current price when it will likely be worth about half in a couple years is not appealing to me. I agree the amp will probably break up trying to play with a drummer in clean...

You make a great point about the Mesa Express w/tube screamer! I'll have to investigate that...

Mark IV is perfect, its just the "low volume" part of my playing that steers me away, if only it had a power switch down to 10 or 15 watts! I'm going to look further at it, the express and Mark series amps seem to keep coming up in my searches! There must be something to it! Not to mention, I practically BOUGHT a mark V for 2900 last night

Last edited by mdh2861 : 10-24-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #50
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthV
My Kemper has issues with that statement

True, but the Kemper is ugly as hell.

TS - you are looking used right?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #51
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh2861
Mark IV is perfect, its just the "low volume" part of my playing that steers me away, if only it had a power switch down to 10 or 15 watts! I'm going to look further at it, the express and Mark series amps seem to keep coming up in my searches! There must be something to it! Not to mention, I practically BOUGHT a mark V for 2900 last night
Just because something is of higher-wattage does not, and I repeat, DOES NOT mean it is completely unable to operate at lower volumes. Both my dad and I own tube amps over 50w that sound fantastic at lower volumes, better than pretty much all of the 5-15w "lunchbox" heads I've played. Of course they sound better at higher volumes, but so does my car stereo, and that's not a tube amp.

Higher wattage just means more headroom, a more "open" sound and the power section doesn't distort until higher volumes. And power tube distortion isn't good for either jazz nor modern metal.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #52
mdh2861

Yea, perhaps I am taking this whole wattage thing too far? I THINK I FINALLY narrowed things down! I have always wanted to own a mesa product, I never have, and people love them, so i'm IN...... Here is what I have boiled my choices down to...

Express 5:50 combo (NEW) with TS9 (which I already have..) for those times when I need to get really heavy. $1500 total...

Mesa Mark IV head (used) screw my low wattage dreams. I'd also be adding a 2 speaker mesa cabinet to this. looks like it will be around $1500 total for both as well!

I'm PSYCHED to finally have this narrowed down. Any more input on these 2 would be appreciated.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #53
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I would take a Mark IV quarter stack any day of the week over an Express combo. Especially for the range you need.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #54
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Mark IV gets my vote. Sweet piece of haul there. It's the only thing I'd consider replacing my V3 with in terms of versatility. The lead tones on that thing always blow me away

Gear:
Randall RM100 (Recto, KH2 and XTC modules)
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #55
mmolteratx
UG God

Express series blows chunks. Especially for over a grand new. Honestly, I'd just get an Axe. You mentioned recording and it's awesome for that. Here are two clips I did with stock presets straight into my MB Pro literally 20 minutes after I got it in the mail.

"Brown"
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8021347/Brown.mp3

"Cameron"
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8021347/Cameron.mp3

I'll try to find some more using stock presets at various gain levels. The AxeII is the only piece of gear I regret selling.

Note that it is better when you've got a bit of volume for monitoring. Doing it silent like I did in these clips isn't so great for sustain.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Old 10-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #56
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

I was talking heads, not combo express. they don't blow chunks.
They are overpriced new though, as well.

but yeah...Mk IV > express pretty much all around. If you can afford one get it.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #57
mmolteratx
UG God

I disagree. There are so many better amps in the Express's price range that there's no reason to consider it unless you're a Mesa fanboi who insists on buying new with a lower budget.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Old 10-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #58
mdh2861

Sounds like the answer is a used Mark IV! I am still considering AxeFX as an alternative though. I will be making a move on something by the end of the week. Looks like whatever it is, Mark IV or AxeFX i'll be buying used off of eBay as both products have "new" models that are in the 2500+ range...
Old 10-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #59
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
I disagree. There are so many better amps in the Express's price range that there's no reason to consider it unless you're a Mesa fanboi who insists on buying new with a lower budget.

to each his own
I was talking used as well, you're right they are quite overpriced as new amps.

TS you've got two great options set up. be sure to make a new amp day when you've got "it!"
Old 10-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #60
mmolteratx
UG God

Ya, I mean, if you can get an Express for $500 and don't need anything more than a jack of all trades, master of none type amp, then by all means, go for it. If I were spending upwards of a grand, there are just dozens of options that do it so much better. Fryette Sig:Xs are going pretty damn cheap these days. Another option for you, TS.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Rate This Thread: