Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #61
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh2861
Sounds like the answer is a used Mark IV! I am still considering AxeFX as an alternative though. I will be making a move on something by the end of the week. Looks like whatever it is, Mark IV or AxeFX i'll be buying used off of eBay as both products have "new" models that are in the 2500+ range...

Either way expect a fair amount of tweaking

Have fun and let us know.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #62
mdh2861

Ok, my FINAL verdict is in... I am going to buy a used AxeFX standard off of eBay and give it a try based on all of your recommendations. I figure, if I dont get along with it, its easy to re-sell and ship and it wont cost me anything, then I can get my mark iv (or v ) . I actually checked out the software "Axe Edit" on my computer and read the manual and its pretty easy.

Soooo.... couple questions.....

I record on a macbook, using Logic Express 9. My audio interface is an m-audio Fast Track pro. I currently output my mac to a PA system, and use input monitoring to record. If i'm recording from an amp, I use a MIC -> interface -> mac. With axefx, will I be using the audio out to my interface? Also, does it have a seperate "monitor" out, so I can stop using input monitoring in logic....?

Since the AxeFX will only cost $800, I am going to use my remaining money to buy a kick ass PA/Monitor system... This will be the output for both logic AND the AxeFX. Is this a good idea? Should I have something different? I have no idea what the axefx "likes" for a speaker system... Thanks everyone for your help!
mdh2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #63
icronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh2861
Yea, perhaps I am taking this whole wattage thing too far? I THINK I FINALLY narrowed things down! I have always wanted to own a mesa product, I never have, and people love them, so i'm IN...... Here is what I have boiled my choices down to...

Express 5:50 combo (NEW) with TS9 (which I already have..) for those times when I need to get really heavy. $1500 total...

Mesa Mark IV head (used) screw my low wattage dreams. I'd also be adding a 2 speaker mesa cabinet to this. looks like it will be around $1500 total for both as well!

I'm PSYCHED to finally have this narrowed down. Any more input on these 2 would be appreciated.

You're definitely taking the wattage thing too far. In my experience low wattage is not for bedroom volumes. I hate the sound of my Mark V at 10 watts at a quiet volume, once you get the volume up about half way though then it really starts to shine. At home though... I leave it on 90 watts.

I really really like the Express series of amps, but I've always felt that it was a $1000 amp priced at $1500 just because it's a Mesa... I would not buy one new, and I am a Mesa fanboi

Carvin V3 is a pretty nice amp, but I find the gain to be a little fuzzy... Especially when quiet.

A Peavey JSX might not be a bad choice, I was constantly surprised at the huge range in tones it offered.

Mark IV... Great clean, incredibly great lead, but the rhythm channel is kinda weak. Nowhere near as versatile as a V.

AxeFX is awesome if you can afford it... I completely disagree with the guy who said the low gain/clean tones are kinda meh. They're not once you figure out how to dial them in. The high gain stuff... Well that's a given. Just be aware that there are many expenses beyond buying the unit. You need a way to listen to it as well which means either a power amp + cab or preferably FRFR speakers or a set of decent computer monitors or a pair of studio monitors... You'd also most likely need a footswitch.. The one they sell is $800 although there are cheaper ones to be found.

I'd say... Mark V. Or if you're willing the make a larger investment an AxeFX2.
icronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #64
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

actually the MKIV is my best amp at low volumes thanks to two master volumes (each channel and global) you put the global at 1 or 2 and dial in with the channel master volume it gets pretty quiet and doesn't sound terrible. it sounds better louder, but i can play it at 3am and not irritate anyone. i have more free time at night so thats when i play most.

i have no issues dialing in a good rhythm tone on the MKIV.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #65
Perverockstar69

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthV
My Kemper has issues with that statement

Exactly, I insist the Kemper is a fine choice!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #66
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Mark IV, mark V. Great at any volume. Flexible with tone. Sparkling cleans to tah brootz and everything in between.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #67
mdh2861

Ok, so... its been a while since i updated this thread. I want to thank you all for your input... I considered MANY things, in the end, I went with the Kemper Amp. I was VERY close to purchasing an Axe FX or a Mesa Mark V. In the end, the kemper overhwelmed me with curiosity!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #68
ikey_

something mesa used, something carvin? perhaps the steve vai lunchbox signature?
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #69
mdh2861

all I can say is O-M-G, the kemper actually works... This couldnt have been a better choice for me..... I was so close to buying a Mark V (and its still on my list of things to buy, such a close second.... some people will want to shoot me for the comparison!), but man, this kemper, really does what it advertises. I will try and do a new amp day post complete with recordings. Thanks so much to everyone for their suggestions, I researched them all and had so much fun doing it!
Old 11-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #70
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Glad you're happy with it!
Old 11-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #71
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Can you download tones for the Kemper?

If so, and if they can put it in a box that doesn't look hideous, I'd be interested.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #72
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

It needs rackmount. Then I would consider that over an Axe FX.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #73
Ippon
Amped

You can get a Mark V for $1500, easily. Or, a Rivera KR7 for $1100.

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #74
iheartgun
UG's user of common sense

the carvin legacy 3 is amazing. rackmountable 100 watt/50 watt head with 3 channels. i have the legacy 1 and for a two channel amp it is one of the most versatile amps u can get. the legacy 3 is even better.

the line 6 dt series are solid as well
+1 to the fryette sig:x
dont rule out the new peavey xxx2
ltd mh-400nt
ltd-ex260
ltd-mh100
85 peavey horizon 2
78 hondo 2 les paul
ibanez classical

AMP RIG
randall diavlo 20w
blackstar ht 2x12