Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
DrBlowThingsUp

How much difference does pick holding style really make?

Hello there!

I've been in a bit of a rut recently and I've started obsessing a little over my picking style after practicing consistently without much improvement. People have told me for a while that I have an 'odd' picking style, which stems from the fact that I've always held my pick with my thumb bent backwards, and with my index and middle fingers controlling how stiffly I hold the pick.

In doing some research, though, I found that Paul Gilbert claims he used to use something similar, before switching to a more traditional approach, holding the pick between the outside of the index finger and the thumb.

I've practiced pretty hard using the more traditional style for a couple of days now, and I feel as though it may be making a small difference, but it's much more uncomfortable (probably due to the fact that I'm just not used to it), and I'm just wondering if anyone knows anyone know can successfully pick well using anything similar to my original technique?

I'm wondering if I'm making a big deal out of nothing and I just need to man up and practice more to get through this particular wall, rather than obsessing over technique, but I would like to know if I'm making it difficult for myself.

I'm going to post this on my blog as well, and I'll include pictures, so you could have a look there if my explanations aren't particularly effective... (http://drblowthingsup.tumblr.com/)

I'd really appreciate your input!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBlowThingsUp
I've practiced pretty hard using the more traditional style for a couple of days now, and I feel as though it may be making a small difference, but it's much more uncomfortable (probably due to the fact that I'm just not used to it), and I'm just wondering if anyone knows anyone know can successfully pick well using anything similar to my original technique?

You said it yourself, the traditional style makes a difference but you're not used to it. You owe it to yourself to try it out and see if it's better in the end. Changing something about how you play is usually uncomfortable, even if it is for the better.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: