Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
D.R.22

Music Thoery

Is it possible to learn guitar or music theory on your own? I am saving to buy amps and guitar etc. Therefore I'd rather not pay to get a tutor that would teach me music theory. I try to read from books or from some Lick Library DVD's and stuff like that but I find it a bit confusing and hard. Did anyone learn on his own? If so how and with what resource ( internet, books, dvds... ) Thank you guys!
D.R.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

Most of what I learned was through my own study. I learned how to read music and the really basic stuff when I was young and took piano lessons, but most everything past that I learned through reading music theory sites online like www.musictheory.net or books. I worked through this book and really learned a lot from it http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Mu...g/dp/1440511829

I'd also suggest checking out the link in Griff's Sig. I've gained a lot from some of the books he suggested in that thread.

Edit: Figured I'd save you the trouble of tracking it down Recommended Reading
Enginere

I'm Good at Math

Last edited by J-Dawg158 : 10-24-2012 at 03:51 PM.
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Derickonfire
This is my custom title.

Absolutely.

I have never had a lesson in my life, except 2 lessons for acoustic guitar when I was like.. 10. Stopped playing until I was about 20, and since then (I'm 25) I have learned everything I know from the internet, and time spent with myself.

Just play the instrument to figure out what sounds good, I never spent a lot of time learning other songs with tabs - but I did learn a few just to get an idea. Most of what I learned came from myself, hearing intervals, and just figuring out what sounds 'good'.

With this, I did a lot of pick and fretting practice. Various patterns and learning only one scale, G-major in all positions.

I wrote some songs, and came up with my own riffs - nothing amazing, but it did give me a chance to be able to USE my tool - the bass guitar (though I've spent more time with the 6-string), and I had a good foundation to apply myself.

From there, I joined a band recently and took the time - thank god for my bands patience, just finding what sounds good and working on it more and more until it was up to par to that of what a good bass line should be - and I must commend myself, I can tab my lines out and they look pretty damn good compared to other popular musician rock songs. Since being in a band, I've began to learn more music theory just naturally, and once I get a little push from a jam session, I can go home, get online, and really understand what happened and how I can use that technique again and again.

I think a huge benefit to me was simply having a good ear, listen to a lot of music - analyze it, listen to each instrument independently and see what it is adding to the track. I also did a lot of recording for friends, guitar, and of course played with digital programs like Fruity Loops / Ableton.

Basically, all I am trying to say is that yes - you can teach yourself. Some of the best musicians are self taught. But you must be adamant. I've spent hours and hours and hours doing simple fingers like fret 1 2 3 4, upstroke downstroke, triplets, etc. Use all your fingers, don't neglect ANYTHING or you'll just have to work on it later.

There are some great 'lessons' up there ^^^ on this very web-site. You can also look at youtube for various lessons.

Last edited by Derickonfire : 10-24-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Derickonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
HotspurJr

Theory is not something you need a teacher for.

Go to musictheory.net or buy a workbook like "Harmony and Theory" by Shroeder and Wyatt.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
Cold Reader
UG's IOW Engineer.

To be honest, everything is on the internet if you know what you're looking for. A tutor can hone your search as the amount of information online can be a little overwhelming, but then there's sites like UG for if you get stuck
Old 10-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
BOYERxBREAKDOWN
Resident Zombie Slayer

Never had a lesson in my life. I learned basic theory at school for a semester, that's about it.
G--4-
D--6-
A--6-
E--4-
BOYERxBREAKDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.22
Is it possible to learn guitar or music theory on your own? I am saving to buy amps and guitar etc. Therefore I'd rather not pay to get a tutor that would teach me music theory. I try to read from books or from some Lick Library DVD's and stuff like that but I find it a bit confusing and hard. Did anyone learn on his own? If so how and with what resource ( internet, books, dvds... ) Thank you guys!

If the interest is there, then you'll have the ability to achieve it through self teaching. Alot of it is "in the genes" tbh, if that "natural talent" and more importantly, desire to learn is there, then you'll do it.

The was a massive thread in this forum a few years ago on whether natural talent existed or not.

Don't get me started...
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
Hail
kill both bass players

i never understood the pride in the electric-instrument world of learning without a teacher. i mean, i'm self-taught, and it is beyond possible, but if you're having trouble with books and even DVDs as remedial as licklibrary (and aren't working until you're not having trouble with them) then a teacher just makes sense. they're not overwhelmingly expensive and you can stop if you ever feel that you're not on the right track or are self-sufficient.

you know how you learn best, i'd hope, after however long you've been or were in school, so you if you feel you'd benefit more from a certain method of learning, you should go for it, be it 1 on 1 with a teacher, playing in a band, sitting with a book, learning music by ear, or (preferably) all of the above to some extent.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison

Start learning on your own through lessons on UG, YouTube, theory books, favorite songs, and your own ear. I strongly recommend you get a songbook of your favorite album or band and dissect the hell out of it. Then somewhere down the line you want to get a teacher when practice gets stagnant so he can challenge and critique your positioning and technique.

We're all alright!
Mathedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
D.R.22

Thanks everyone, I have learned quite a bit of basics on my own like notes on the guitar, how to make a scale etc. I'll take a look at things you've mentioned too!
D.R.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
SaviArt
We live our own way!

Theory learning on your own is always hard stuff. In most cases you can't understand what is told there. But you can't go without it. It's the light in the dark which opens the sight where to go.
The best practice is done with the teacher. He can tell you what to do and what not to do in music.
If you can't allow musical teacher then you must go on your own. The resource I used some months ago was the free guitar basics course: http://guitar-guide-easy.com/lessons/guitar-basics It's a free lessons course but it open me a lot in knowing basics. Suggest starting with this
SaviArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
sqrrloncrack
djentleman

i used the Master Theory books to teach me what i know so far. they are really great

keep the notes coming...

ibanez ftw
sqrrloncrack is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: