Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-25-2012, 04:00 AM   #1
Doku

So I am teaching a girl how to play guitar...

And I'm not really sure where to start. First of all she has almost no experience with a guitar, but she told me she wants me to teach her. People have asked me to teach them in the past and I agreed, but none of them were ever serious about it. She on the other hand just went and bought herself a guitar and seems serious about learning.

She likes Deathmetal, apparently, as well as Metalcore (things like Bullet for My Valentine) and softer stuff (Deathcab for Cutie). I just have no idea where to start when I'm teaching her. Yeah I know she has to learn the basics, but I figured I would start by teaching her a bit of a song she wanted to learn so that she'd be interested.

So far I started teaching her the intro to Tears Don't Fall and she also mentioned something about I Will Follow You Into the Dark by Deathcab. I just don't know what to start her off with is the thing. I think that the Deathcab song might be a little too hard for a beginner.

Any advice?

Thank you so much in advance!
Doku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

Any girl ever asked me to teach them wanted sex...have fun
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:34 AM   #3
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Make sure she knows the basics and is confident in their application, everything flows from there.

However, that said, I've generally always thought that people shouldn't teach unless they at least know what it is they should be teaching. The real keys to teaching are communication and awareness, ability means more or less nothing.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #4
Doku

Thank you Zaphod for your advice! I am confident in my ability to be able to teach her how to play properly as I remember what my guitar teacher taught me. However, when I started out, I did not have a teacher so I had to learn the basics on my own. This is why I need someone to point me in the right direction so that I can get her on track.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:17 AM   #5
jumpaside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempoe

This. Thats why I'm stoked to teach any girl guitar. All my friends have done it aswell. Show her the string names and then get some
jumpaside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:18 AM   #6
Honkern

Buy her rocksmith, thats how the missus started playing.
Honkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
JackJackSuited

This advice is coming from someone that knows next to nothing about teaching guitar, but who is just starting out more or less too.
Maybe find some of the really simple 3 chord songs and try to have her learn those shapes and songs slowly. Even better if those chords are found in any of the Death Cab songs she likes as well.
But because those chords can be boring and take some time, maybe give her some small lead sections, or a riff or two to work on as homework. I'm usually more inspired to work on riffs more than chord changes due to the intense amount of concentration learning to change chords properly takes.
JackJackSuited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #8
LazyHardRocker

Aww come on dude... Bullet For My Valentine isn't metal, we all know that.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #9
scotland87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempoe

Haha, Tempoe speaks truth! Hopefully she's hot.
scotland87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
JackJackSuited

I suppose you'd have gotten better actual advice if you substituted "someone" for girl...
JackJackSuited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
scotland87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJackSuited
I suppose you'd have gotten better actual advice if you substituted "someone" for girl...

Your right, this is unfair NOT to give advice jsut because she happens to be a girl...

Ok, so she is a total beginner. In my opinion musical taste shouldnt really come into the equation at the total beginner stage, at least for the first month or two.

Start with the simple stuff. Open chords, simple picking, simple strum patterns, nothing too advanced that will likely put her off guitar or make her think that learning is going to be an impossible task.

Its a shameless plug, but i have a beginners practice lesson submitted on UG that has pretty decent reviews and feedback. Perhaps you can take a look at that (find it on my profile) and tailor to suit her level of experience. You can use it as a template for your sessions, that way you have at least some direction.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #12
Ometh
nobody

Don't worry, you'll totally get laid. She likes metalcore, so she's totally a scene *****, meaning she probably sucked off every single guy she ever knew.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
Nameless742
UG Fanatic

When I think absolute beginner I think:
Edit: 1st thing is the guitar itself. And how to hold/use the pick.

CAGED chords.
One Scale
Fchord/more chords
Power chords
another scale
Barre Chords

And inbetween some fun riffs and basic lead parts.(Like smoke on the water!)
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"

Last edited by Nameless742 : 10-25-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Nameless742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
Mr.-Bungle
Mr. Bungle

Show her how to finger properly.

Also fretting.
Mr.-Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #15
Silverpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless742
When I think absolute beginner I think:
Edit: 1st thing is the guitar itself. And how to hold/use the pick.

CAGED chords.
One Scale
Fchord/more chords
Power chords
another scale
Barre Chords

And inbetween some fun riffs and basic lead parts.(Like smoke on the water!)

Working on on power chords after two or three lessons is indeed a good idea. The simple open chord shapes allow the student to quickly work on the rock/metal sound that makes most of the people enthusiast about the guitar, and your chick will have real fun almost immediately.
Silverpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #16
Doku

Thank you so much for the number of responses, albeit some have been distasteful. I really appreciate all the great advice!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #17
t1mman

-How to hold the pick the right way
-How to read tabs
-Do her
-How to fret (you can start by showing her a scale, panthatonic is realy simple to understand)
-Basic Open chords
-How does the note works
-Do her again
-if she is going well, you might want to input some theory, like the distance between notes, the tone/semitone (8 notes and 12 semi tone)
-intervals

You can also try to teach her with a song. Like many scale can be found in solos, it can be explained.
t1mman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #18
Doku

How should I go about keeping her interested in learning though? I feel that beginners in general would generally just be turned off by standard chromatic exercises and might get bored quickly. What should I weave in between teaching her these things in order for her to keep interest in playing? Or rather, is there a way to teach the basics in an interesting manner, rather than through a dull linear method?
Old 10-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #19
scotland87

Just teach her something thats "dull and linear" like some open chords then show them applied to music.

For example teach her the A, D and G chords then rock out Bad Moon Rising by CCR. This will show her very quickly how easy it actually is to get results from the simple stuff! Things like that.

Teach here the A minor pentatonic scale, then let her hear the scale applied using a backing track!

Simple stuff that sounds impressive, especially to a novice first starting out!
Old 10-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #20
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doku
How should I go about keeping her interested in learning though? I feel that beginners in general would generally just be turned off by standard chromatic exercises and might get bored quickly. What should I weave in between teaching her these things in order for her to keep interest in playing? Or rather, is there a way to teach the basics in an interesting manner, rather than through a dull linear method?

Basically no one should do those chromatic exercises anyway; if you have any time to practice chances are you could be doing something better with your time.

Either way, spend a bit more time with her and talk about the music she likes more, chances are there's something relatively simple in there somewhere so focus on that. You probably won't need to go past the absolute basics of the basics for at least a few weeks anyway. The learning curve is steep when you start out.

Rate This Thread: