Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #21
t1mman

Well, if she likes metalcore or anything metal, you can show her a basic "chug" with palm mute / open on low E

This way you can teach the basic picking skill. Once she got this right, add some fretting into it.
t1mman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #22
Doku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Basically no one should do those chromatic exercises anyway; if you have any time to practice chances are you could be doing something better with your time.

Either way, spend a bit more time with her and talk about the music she likes more, chances are there's something relatively simple in there somewhere so focus on that. You probably won't need to go past the absolute basics of the basics for at least a few weeks anyway. The learning curve is steep when you start out.

So like basic chord progressions, simple scales, and some leads in the mix? And if her fingers start hurting I should have her stop fretting and just work on her picking?
Doku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #23
Velvet_Blue

Look past her gender and just teach her like you would teach anyone who wants to seriously learn how to play the guitar. Gender should not matter or be an issue, yet for some reason - it still is.
Velvet_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #24
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Teach her power chords in standard tuning. Then in Drop D tuning which is evn easier. Since she likes Metal...

... THEN, move in for the kill.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #25
farmosh203

When I first learned guitar, my older brother only had one day to teach me before he had to leave. Here's what he had me do:

-How to play Smoke on the Water with no power chords.
-Introduce power chords and play them with Smoke on the Water.
-Iron Man
-Smells Like Teen Spirit

That's 1-2 months of practice right there.
farmosh203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #26
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Her being a girl very much matters. I don't think that TS is into guys...

If you are, Sorry bout that!
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #27
J2G
UG Member

LMFAO at these sex comments! I'm a newb and still gonna advertise teaching the absolute basics to chicks now.
J2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:06 AM   #28
91RG350

jeez welcome to The Pit

Teach her a bit of a song that she likes...a riff or a few riffs...

plus.... a bit of theory...chords..pentatonic scale... whatever..
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #29
t1mman

Then, do her!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #30
Doku

Okay enough with the sexual comments guys. They are still as distasteful as they were before and they aren't getting any funnier. I would appreciate any advice I could get that would help me teach her better, so unless you have some advice to give me please don't post here.
Doku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #31
hansome21
UG Fanatic

I would say don't overwhelm her. I think your original idea to teach her the intros to some BFMV is a great starting place. It is something she recognizes, likes, and probably wants to play. Give her something like that, something fun that she can make sound like a real song.

From BFMV, I recommend hearts burst into fire intro (not the solo obviously, but you can play it and let her play the intro on loop, options are limitless) because it's pretty simple power chord stuff.

Personally, lesson 1 I would teach her power chord shapes and that she can put them anywhere on the E or A strings first. Then the intro, she should be able to nail both in a couple days. Just 1 chord shape and 1 intro isn't overbearing like teaching her all a bunch of full chords or barre chords she wont be able to play for possibly months.
hansome21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:01 AM   #32
mtshark
is the bees knees

The Death Cab song would actually be good for introducing her to barre chords (that F is enough to start with.) Don't try to have her emulate the strumming technique, just the chord changes with generic strumming. Though I would start her with a few G-D-C-Em type songs first before jumping into barres.

Edit: Obligatory:

Last edited by mtshark : 10-28-2012 at 01:03 AM.
mtshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #33
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doku
So I am teaching a girl how to play guitar...
Leading off the thread with this title, it's almost an absolute certainty that you would receive sexual innuendo in the replies.

So, it begs the question, "did you do it on purpose so that you could defend her honor"?

Realistically speaking, the secondary sexual differences in a woman's arms aren't sufficient to require a different teaching technique than a man.

You are obviously still a bit hung up on the idea that she's a girl, and you want her to be impressed with your teaching techniques.

There's an old saying, "a boy chases a girl until she catches him". Perhaps that is in play here. Maybe it's the old, "look, I just bough a guitar, and I like the same music as you", gambit.....

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-28-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #34
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Leading off the thread with this title, it's almost an absolute certainty that you would receive sexual innuendo in the replies.

So, it begs the question, "did you do it on purpose so that you could defend her honor"?

Realistically speaking, the secondary sexual differences in a woman's arms aren't sufficient to require a different teaching technique than a man.

You are obviously still a bit hung up on the idea that she's a girl, and you want her to be impressed with your teaching techniques.

There's an old saying, "a boy chases a girl until she catches him". Perhaps that is in play here. Maybe it's the old, "look, I just bough a guitar, and I like the same music as you", gambit.....

Holy shit your a dick
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #35
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
Holy shit your a dick

On the other hand he's at least partially right: the fact that the person TS wants to teach is female shouldn't matter, so why was it ever mentioned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #36
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

She needs inspiration. I don't know, Orianthi maybe?
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #37
JackJackSuited

It's bad enough some of the posters sounded disturbing and misogynistic. Now apparently its okay because he said the word "girl"? Sounds like the same logic that makes it okay to steal the coat of someone's back, well, because if you wear something nice you're asking for it, right?

How many threads mention a guy teaching a guy? And does anyone suggest those guys **** their friends or question why they mentioned it was a guy?

I have to wonder why this thread wasn't advised to stay on the topic of guitar technique a while ago.
JackJackSuited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #38
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJackSuited
I have to wonder why this thread wasn't advised to stay on the topic of guitar technique a while ago.
Since the topic of ulterior motivation kicks in at about chapter one of interpersonal relationship texts, it does go to the question of why TS felt obligated to mention the prospective student was a girl. What was the ulterior motive? Don't tell me there wasn't an ulterior motive, because there's always an ulterior motive. It's part of what separates man from the animals.

The back story leading to the lessons is kind of "different", and seems to suggest she has an agenda as well.

Keep in mind, I made no sexual innuendo. I merely suggested it's possible the girl likes him. That's a fairly harmless, if not completely benign remark.

The fact remains that, "boys will be boys", and that sexual tension, is the primal force in all our life's pursuits. So, when too many boys get together, it's inevitable that a few dirty jokes are going to fly. Which, that brings us back to why that TS felt obligated to inform us this was a female student.

If I had gotten here about post 2, I would have simply asked, "are you bragging or complaining"? Had the children around here call me whatever names they've learned in grade school, and been done with it.

The reason the thread is off topic, is because the TS dragged it off topic from the title forward. IMO, "why the thread is off topic", is a question you should be asking him.

So, in conclusion, you should use the same teaching methods you would on a male student. After all, members of the Homo Sapiens species, both male and female, are issued, 2 arms 8 fingers, and 2 thumbs at birth. If that count doesn't jibe in a student's case, then you have cause for a thread. Which quite frankly, I doubt would be titled, "a girl with 2 missing fingers on her left hand wants me to teach her guitar"! Capesh?

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-29-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #39
JackJackSuited

Why is it any different than if he said "I'm teaching my friend to play" and then filled the OP with statements of "he"? Maybe the TS didn't use "friend" because she is not and thus didn't know what to call her and could have easily said "guy" if that was the case. Maybe the TS isn't even attracted to women at all.

People fill the OP with all sorts of information that is irrelevant to what they're asking with the purpose of painting a picture or being thorough or just not knowing how to ask without full disclosure. And generally those irrelevant pieces of information are ignored to address the real question, which in this case is how do you teach a beginner guitar?

The fact remains that for whatever reason the mention of a "girl" couldn't be handled maturely by many. Sexual tension or not, (and I see no purposeful reason to assume there is other than to sidetrack a guitar thread) there is such a thing as impulse control.
JackJackSuited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #40
t1mman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doku
Okay enough with the sexual comments guys. They are still as distasteful as they were before and they aren't getting any funnier. I would appreciate any advice I could get that would help me teach her better, so unless you have some advice to give me please don't post here.

I don't know why you're freaking out on this, it's a joke, humour, just for fun...

Everything you need to know to teach any newb was already told, the rest of this thread is only people either goofing around or talking about if it is relevent to state the sex of the person you're trying to teach to.

Rate This Thread: