Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #21
LIPCoelho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard
The PRO series one. Not a fan of the Phil Demmel one.

due to aesthetics or something else?
LIPCoelho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #22
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPCoelho
God, the Draco is so ugly... its just too much.

Both demmelition and loomis are expensive; what do you think about the Jackson Pro series? Also, whats your opinion about the Dean guitars?

the DBZ caballo isn't "metal" enough for me, i'd like the DBZ venom more, the looks are more what i'm aimng at.

If you think thats too much, google Moser Guitars.

No opinion about Dean as I've never played one myself. I'm a beginner so my experience with different guitars is quite limited. But judging from the looks the top Dean looks damn good but the red one just makes me ask that can you even play it sitting down without having those spikes pressing against your thigh?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #23
LIPCoelho

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaxxter
... Is this guy for real?

guy's just kidding... nobody from a non-Black Metal band ever bought a BC Rich Draco.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #24
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:
due to aesthetics or something else?

Partially

But the Pro King V KVMG has an ebony fret board and the trem is better. The Phil Demmel sports a Jackson LFR which is eh. The Pro has a Floyd Rose 2000.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #25
LIPCoelho

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
If you think thats too much, google Moser Guitars.

No opinion about Dean (...)just makes me ask that can you even play it sitting down without having those spikes pressing against your thigh?

I know of Moser guitars, Ol Drake uses the Bastard V

Death metal is about pain, suffering, torture and death, if you feel it when you're writting death metal, it will be more realistic and brutal

Quote:
Pro King V KVMG has an ebony fret board and the trem is better. The Phil Demmel sports a Jackson LFR which is eh. The Pro has a Floyd Rose 2000.

i read that the original Demmelition (not the PDX) has also a FRT2000 also. thats the spec they have on their webside. but the PDX has a Jackson LFR which has to be weaker.
whats the big deal with ebony fretboards? do they make bending sound better?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #26
MaaZeus

Quote:
... Is this guy for real?

Good lord no! Even I can see when something is simply too much, thats why I putted it there.

Quote:
guy's just kidding... nobody from a non-Black Metal band ever bought a BC Rich Draco.

And even though I am a black metalhead I still wouldnt touch Dracos with then foot pole.

Quote:
I know of Moser guitars, Ol Drake uses the Bastard V Death metal is about pain, suffering, torture and death, if you feel it when you're writting death metal, it will be more realistic and brutal

Good point!

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 10-26-2012 at 11:37 AM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #27
LIPCoelho

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
And even though I am a black metalhead I still wouldnt touch Dracos with then foot pole.

i didnt say *EVERY* black metalhead bought Dracos
Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #28
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:

i read that the original Demmelition (not the PDX) has also a FRT2000 also. thats the spec they have on their webside. but the PDX has a Jackson LFR which has to be weaker.
whats the big deal with ebony fretboards? do they make bending sound better?

The USA Made Demmel is also very expensive.

Ebony feels nice (imo) and I THINK it makes your sound a tad bit brighter.
Schecter KM7
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
Old 10-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #29
LIPCoelho

Quote:
The USA Made Demmel is also very expensive.

Ebony feels nice (imo) and I THINK it makes your sound a tad bit brighter.

i know, that's the biggest boner breaker for me about it

how about the DBZ Venom series? you know anything about it?

Last edited by LIPCoelho : 10-26-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #30
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

I've played one DBZ before and didn't like it. It was a super strat, but it just felt.... not fun, y'know?
Schecter KM7
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
Old 10-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #31
LIPCoelho

Quote:
I've played one DBZ before and didn't like it. It was a super strat, but it just felt.... not fun, y'know?

actually no xD i never played a DBZ. i know they're supposed to be mega awesome quality guitars, and they're not that expensive, but you mean not fun to play? how? bad sound? slow neck? bad access for upper frets? unbalanced weight?
Old 10-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #32
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:
actually no xD i never played a DBZ. i know they're supposed to be mega awesome quality guitars, and they're not that expensive, but you mean not fun to play? how? bad sound? slow neck? bad access for upper frets? unbalanced weight?

Uncomfy, mostly
Schecter KM7
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
Old 10-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #33
LIPCoelho

Quote:
Uncomfy, mostly

while playing sat down? you play in a classical manner? from what i've seen and tried, some guitars are make to be played in a classical manner whistle others aren't that *picky*
sorry for spamming, i'm really just trying to get as much info as possible before i decide.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #34
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

My take on Deans & DBZs:

My first guitars were both Deans- a Special Select EVO and a Time Capsule Cadillac. They look good, they feel good, and the Caddy still sounds good. In fact, the Caddy stands up to several of my luthier-made guitars, and is still one of my main axes. The only problem I have had with the Caddy was a burr on its bridge, long since polished away.

The EVO suffers in that, as a midpriced guitar, its pickups are harsher than those in the Caddy or any of my luthier's guitars. Thus, I will be swapping its stock pickups for some Bareknuckles. Other than that issue, I have had nothing bad to say about it.

Below the $500 level, though, I wouldn't buy a Dean. There are too many other guitars that offer better value for money. I also am a bit leery of Dean's tremolos in general. But I don't play much trem- only one of my electrics has one (subject to change, of course)- so take my opinion on tremolos with a grain of salt.

DBZs continue Dean Z's legacy of delivering extremely playable guitars with a good sound and rock aesthetic. (I'm thinking of an Imperial or a Royale for myself.)

His newest company- Dean Zelinsky's Private Label Guitars- continues to innovate, but they don't seem to be aiming for metalheads at all, but more the sophisticated "elder statesman of rock" type aesthetic.

I also will not buy any signature models- save for possibly a Brian May Red Special- since those typically offer less value for money than is typical at a given price. You're largely paying for a name and a visual aesthetic, not anything that actually helps you sound better.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-26-2012 at 12:22 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #35
J_W

Do not get the Dime V. When I was looking to get a guitar with a Floyd, my buddy let me take his home for a couple weeks. I hated playing that thing, I hated the trem, I hated everything about that guitar. It's just big and awkward and just felt plain bad to me. I have played a lot of guitars and this ranks among the worst I have played.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #36
LIPCoelho

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
Do not get the Dime V. When I was looking to get a guitar with a Floyd, my buddy let me take his home for a couple weeks. I hated playing that thing, I hated the trem, I hated everything about that guitar. It's just big and awkward and just felt plain bad to me. I have played a lot of guitars and this ranks among the worst I have played.

wow, thanks for the heads up. a good floyd rose system is really something that i want and im looking for; i dont want anything worse than good when it comes to that. how much did your Dime V cost? any suggestion V-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
My take on Deans & DBZs (...)you sound better.

1- i dont want to send $500, its too low of a price for what im aiming (unless its a ubber discount mega awesome deal, of course). im aiming for the level of $700-$1200 guitars for extra quality

2-regarding the DBZ, i dont think sophisticated "elder statesman of rock" would buy a Bird of Prey or a Venom, the latest being one of my possibilites, but thanks for the info

3-i agree with the sign thing, but the biggest drive for the Phil Demmel is the aesthetics, that i love, and the EMG60/81 PU. but i dont want to pay $1500 for one of those

im leaning more towards the Jackson Pro series and the DBZ Venom

Last edited by LIPCoelho : 10-26-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #37
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Where are you based TS?
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #38
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Where do you live?

TS = Thread Starter.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #39
LIPCoelho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
Where do you live?

TS = Thread Starter.

Portugal, EU.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #40
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Ok cool. Your English is far better than my Portuguese.

Stop thinking in terms of dollars then buddy, it doesn't translate well to the relative value of guitars in Europe.

If your happy to buy from over seas, specifically the UK, I am happy to be a 'middle man' so to speak.

Personally I would be looking at purely 2nd hand guitars, maybe a Gibson Exorer, Jackson Kelly or RR24.

If you could say how much exactly in Euros you have, I will try and find you something, I presume you have about 700?

Rate This Thread: